Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 294

Thread: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Sorry if the format is funky. Writing this on my phone.

    I apologize but I donít think I got my point across properly.

    Playing time is all the boys have as collegiate hockey players. Being a upperclassmen and having playing time puts you in a position of leadership based on natural pecking order type stuff. No you donít need a C or an A. But the voice of guys who play half the time donít have the same power. It just how it is. It is basic basic team dynamics.

    Naming a guy captain then sitting him in the stands undermines the leadership he has been recognized with by being given the C. And by doing so you disrespect the entire structure of leadership.

    The leadership of the group is the conduit from the team to the staff! A coach who does not understand these very basic team dynamics has some serious problems.

    Ray should be playing, most certainly if it is not a big difference with him out of the lineup as others are suggesting. Hopefully Joe can recognize his error and repair the damage that most certainly has occurred. The coaches need to have the back of their team leadership and vice versa.

    Chris Lawrence may have been a 3-4th liner who scored 7 points but I am guessing the 2 games he missed that season he was not a scratch.
    We can't look this decision in a vacuum and need to take a step back. Joe admitted last year's culture was not good. The culture had to be changed. Sometimes to do that, one needs to implement solutions outside of the norm. One of those was to pick a character guy to lead the team. Yes, Ray might not be in the line-up all the time, but if he is keeping a health locker room environment, setting a good example at practice, doing everything and more than what is expected of him all while having a good attitude, even if he isn't playing all the time, I say good for him and he deserves the C.

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Are you saying Brice should be playing because he has the C? Even if he's not the guy that give you the best chance to win by having him on the ice?

    Or are you saying Brice should not have the C because he isn't the guy that gives you the best chance to win when he's on the ice?

    I will not claim to know more about the dynamics of the dressing room than Shawhan does. He has said many times he likes Brice's work effort and passion for the team. If he thinks someone else give him a better chance to win, I don't want Brice, or anyone else, in the lineup just because there is a letter on his chest.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk


    Did not say either, reread my post. Only thing I said about Rays play was that I think he makes the team better when he plays.

    Hockey players Are not lead by guys that donít play no matter what the effort level. That is a very basic principle. It is as basic as guys donít follow rookies. That is why we do not have a rash of captains being scratched. For a coach to not understand this or not respect it is troublesome to say the least.

    If you donít play your captains you disrespect the position of leadership. No way to rationalize it. Either you disrespected it by naming your leadership when they should not have been or you disrespect it by not placing enough importance on them as a vital part of the team to be on the ice.

    The pecking order of leadership has playing time as a critical component. Like it or not itís how it is. You donít have to score but you gotta play. Having a great attitude and giving maximum effort all while not complaining is expected of all players not just the leaders.

    Gota give you guys on this thread credit for looking at the positives always. Wish I saw more.

  3. #143
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    40.7829N, w 073.9659
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Did not say either, reread my post. Only thing I said about Rays play was that I think he makes the team better when he plays.

    Hockey players Are not lead by guys that don’t play no matter what the effort level. That is a very basic principle. It is as basic as guys don’t follow rookies. That is why we do not have a rash of captains being scratched. For a coach to not understand this or not respect it is troublesome to say the least.

    If you don’t play your captains you disrespect the position of leadership. No way to rationalize it. Either you disrespected it by naming your leadership when they should not have been or you disrespect it by not placing enough importance on them as a vital part of the team to be on the ice.

    The pecking order of leadership has playing time as a critical component. Like it or not it’s how it is. You don’t have to score but you gotta play. Having a great attitude and giving maximum effort all while not complaining is expected of all players not just the leaders.

    Gota give you guys on this thread credit for looking at the positives always. Wish I saw more.
    Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but i'm pretty sure the coaches are totally aware of the implications. They are former players and they've been around quite a bit.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  4. #144
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,461

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    If you donít play your captains you disrespect the position of leadership. No way to rationalize it.
    I will disagree with this statement and reply with one simply question:
    What percentage of the team's success happens on the ice during games ~35 nights out of the year vs off the ice ~330 days a year?

    If the team is not making the effort the other 330 days per year they DON'T have a game, there will be little to no success on game days. I think leadership ABSOLUTELY can have influence outside of games, and honestly if you want to build a winner, those non-game days are far more important about setting the tone for where you want to go.

    In my opinion, the staff sees him as a leader the majority of the time who is setting the example that needs to be followed, so he wears the "C". Playing time during games is for the best PLAYERS on the team. The best LEADERS on the team have the honor of wearing the letters, even if their jersey is hanging in the equipment room on game day. In many cases those two groups of players and leaders do not fully overlap. How many great PLAYERS get passed over for a captain's letter? It happens all the time. They have tons of talent but don't set the best example so they are just a player who plays a lot and scores a lot... but they are not a leader, and thus are not recognized as one.

    I feel your mindset is based on the NHL, NFL, etc with professional players where the captains are all quarterbacks, leading scorers and the highest paid players. If your captain is sitting 50% of the time in a professional league, then yes, I agree there is a problem. However college sports have a very different dynamic in my opinion.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  5. #145
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    8,212

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Then there's the implication to the other team. "Where's their captain?" "He doesn't always play." "Why is a guy that sucks the captain?" You say that this may not matter a whit, but I argue that it does. I've heard it asked when our captains have been injured or sucky.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  6. #146
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    40.7829N, w 073.9659
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Then there's the implication to the other team. "Where's their captain?" "He doesn't always play." "Why is a guy that sucks the captain?" You say that this may not matter a whit, but I argue that it does. I've heard it asked when our captains have been injured or sucky.

    GFM
    Oh, I don't think there's any question this is true and checkmate has a good point. However, coaches have reasons for doing things. It's sometimes not obvious to us as fans. I'd rather spend my time Bit####g about the power play.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  7. #147
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    8,212

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Oh, I don't think there's any question this is true and checkmate has a good point. However, coaches have reasons for doing things. It's sometimes not obvious to us as fans. I'd rather spend my time Bit####g about the power play.
    Fair enough Joe seems to do things his own way. Nothing surprises me.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  8. #148
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ready for the 99th season of Tech hockey
    Posts
    2,950

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Sorry if the format is funky. Writing this on my phone.

    I apologize but I donít think I got my point across properly.

    Playing time is all the boys have as collegiate hockey players. Being a upperclassmen and having playing time puts you in a position of leadership based on natural pecking order type stuff. No you donít need a C or an A. But the voice of guys who play half the time donít have the same power. It just how it is. It is basic basic team dynamics.

    Naming a guy captain then sitting him in the stands undermines the leadership he has been recognized with by being given the C. And by doing so you disrespect the entire structure of leadership.

    The leadership of the group is the conduit from the team to the staff! A coach who does not understand these very basic team dynamics has some serious problems.

    Ray should be playing, most certainly if it is not a big difference with him out of the lineup as others are suggesting. Hopefully Joe can recognize his error and repair the damage that most certainly has occurred. The coaches need to have the back of their team leadership and vice versa.

    Chris Lawrence may have been a 3-4th liner who scored 7 points but I am guessing the 2 games he missed that season he was not a scratch.
    Lawrence was a healthy scratch in both those games. He was also one of the first to lose playing time when the bench was shortened late in games. It never affected the leadership dynamic.

    I think Jake Lucchini's game suffered wearing a letter last season. It can be a detriment to a player to have leadership thrust upon them. Ray has the right mindset to be in the leadership group, and if he's not in the lineup that's the reason you have alternate captains.

  9. #149
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,039

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Lawrence was a healthy scratch in both those games. He was also one of the first to lose playing time when the bench was shortened late in games. It never affected the leadership dynamic.

    I think Jake Lucchini's game suffered wearing a letter last season. It can be a detriment to a player to have leadership thrust upon them. Ray has the right mindset to be in the leadership group, and if he's not in the lineup that's the reason you have alternate captains.
    like I said earlier, the most important aspect of this is that he has to be in the traveling party for road series. If he's healthy and not traveling, then I have an issue with it.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    758

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    like I said earlier, the most important aspect of this is that he has to be in the traveling party for road series. If he's healthy and not traveling, then I have an issue with it.
    How many extras can travel? I thought it was only the playing roster. Didn't Tech run into not being able to fill the roster on a Saturday in Blown Groin a couple years ago because they lost a few guys in the Friday night game?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,720
    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    How many extras can travel? I thought it was only the playing roster. Didn't Tech run into not being able to fill the roster on a Saturday in Blown Groin a couple years ago because they lost a few guys in the Friday night game?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Teams travel with 22-23 for WCHA games. The rule was 22. Beginning last year, they allowed an ďextra skaterĒ to dress. Iím not sure if they also upped the number that could travel.

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    758

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Teams travel with 22-23 for WCHA games. The rule was 22. Beginning last year, they allowed an ďextra skaterĒ to dress. Iím not sure if they also upped the number that could travel.
    So if they dress 21 on the road it only gives them 1-2 extras that can travel. I still don't see that as a problem with Brice being the extra guy. He can certainly step in if needed due to injury or suspension. And if they only get one extra, the extra skater is often a Dman anyway.

    In summary, I don't think it's a big deal if he doesn't dress. But I do like the idea of him traveling.

    Now let's worry about Tech Jr. This weekend.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    So if they dress 21 on the road it only gives them 1-2 extras that can travel. I still don't see that as a problem with Brice being the extra guy. He can certainly step in if needed due to injury or suspension. And if they only get one extra, the extra skater is often a Dman anyway.

    In summary, I don't think it's a big deal if he doesn't dress. But I do like the idea of him traveling.

    Now let's worry about Tech Jr. This weekend.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    This could be an interesting weekend. I hope Tech shows up and can play a full 60 min each night. It is maddening seeing them disappear for stretches. Yes, they are young, but still.

    Go Tech!

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    758

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    This could be an interesting weekend. I hope Tech shows up and can play a full 60 min each night. It is maddening seeing them disappear for stretches. Yes, they are young, but still.

    Go Tech!
    Inconsistencies are often attributed to being young. But not all young players are inconsistent. Everyone has off nights. The key is not having too many guys having off nights at the same time. And with great teams, the others cover for a teammate's off night.

    And putting the **** puck in the net. That's another key.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  15. #155
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ready for the 99th season of Tech hockey
    Posts
    2,950

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Tech always travels two extra players for conference games.

    As for this weekend, it's the home team in blue who can't stop anyone versus the road team in black who can't score. Should be classic.

  16. #156
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,039

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    How many extras can travel? I thought it was only the playing roster. Didn't Tech run into not being able to fill the roster on a Saturday in Blown Groin a couple years ago because they lost a few guys in the Friday night game?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    the traveling party I believe was updated for the additional skater to 23. (12 forwards, 6 defenders, 2 goalies, 1 extra skater plus 2 subs, usually one F and one D).
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    237

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Correct. Youíre allowed 23 dressed now for league games. I think it was actually changed a year before the extra dressed skater was allowed.

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hockey Dead Zone
    Posts
    264

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Inconsistencies are often attributed to being young. But not all young players are inconsistent. Everyone has off nights. The key is not having too many guys having off nights at the same time. And with great teams, the others cover for a teammate's off night.

    And putting the **** puck in the net. That's another key.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. The season is early, but hopefully we see less and less of the disappearing act. I think LSSU will be a good opportunity to minimize that and see growth.

  19. #159
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    40.7829N, w 073.9659
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Well I thought we played better last weekend, but I'll take it. We had moments of brain fade in the second again, but I'll take it also.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  20. #160
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ready for the 99th season of Tech hockey
    Posts
    2,950

    Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

    Probably the best I have seen a Huskies team use the forecheck in a long time. It was directly responsible for all three even strength goals.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Lost_Husky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •