Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    THG has Grant Docter and Evan Orr coming in next year. Both would still be 19 at the start of next season, so it's possible one or both could be deferred. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the only freshman defenseman next year is a late-bloomer who hasn't committed yet (like, say, Tim Erkkila, Ryan Dickinson or Jed Pietila, all of whom are from Brighton/Howell and have been nominated for NAHL defenseman of the month at least once this season). Ten defensemen on the roster is a good number.
    Thanks. I was just looking at the grid

stuck below the bridge

Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    THG has Grant Docter and Evan Orr coming in next year. Both would still be 19 at the start of next season, so it's possible one or both could be deferred. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the only freshman defenseman next year is a late-bloomer who hasn't committed yet (like, say, Tim Erkkila, Ryan Dickinson or Jed Pietila, all of whom are from Brighton/Howell and have been nominated for NAHL defenseman of the month at least once this season). Ten defensemen on the roster is a good number.
    At one time both LSSU and BG have shown interest in Tim. But the last time I talked to someone close to him it sounded like he has his heart set on NMU.

Dickenson certainly has the size to fit what Joe has been looking for on D lately.

Jed was a forward for awhile playing for Hartland HS and put up really good numbers. If it weren't for a broken jaw his numbers would have been comparable to Crespi's. And I feel he would have given Crespi a good challenge for Mr. Hockey. At the time I felt Jed was a better all around player. I do know that the coaching staff was made aware of Jed and there was a positive response at the time ;-) Whether or not there is still an interest there.. I don't know.

Mighty Techster

Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    At one time both LSSU and BG have shown interest in Tim. But the last time I talked to someone close to him it sounded like he has his heart set on NMU.

Dickenson certainly has the size to fit what Joe has been looking for on D lately.

Jed was a forward for awhile playing for Hartland HS and put up really good numbers. If it weren't for a broken jaw his numbers would have been comparable to Crespi's. And I feel he would have given Crespi a good challenge for Mr. Hockey. At the time I felt Jed was a better all around player. I do know that the coaching staff was made aware of Jed and there was a positive response at the time ;-) Whether or not there is still an interest there.. I don't know.
    Thanks for the info!

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    It's been painful watching our defense for the last few weeks.
    There have been a few bad moments, but without scoring it just doesn't matter. Tech goals the last eight games (NOT sorted, in order as they were played):
    4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1

That's a trend headed in the wrong direction. If you can't score at least six goals a weekend, you're not going to win many of those games.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Coach Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    There have been a few bad moments, but without scoring it just doesn't matter. Tech goals the last eight games (NOT sorted, in order as they were played):
    4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1

That's a trend headed in the wrong direction. If you can't score at least six goals a weekend, you're not going to win many of those games.
    That's a really interesting pattern. I'm more than reasonably confident that it will break this weekend against a very poor Ferris team.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    That's a really interesting pattern. I'm more than reasonably confident that it will break this weekend against a very poor Ferris team.
    especially at home compared to going to Ferris
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Bliss and Jurusik are both up for the Hobey Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

and Blake Pietla (the forward not the goalie) has been called up by Anaheim
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Interesting JSH. He went over a lot of topics. His talk about the current line-up, differences between the top and bottom teams, and transfers was insightful. Give it a listen.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Interesting JSH. He went over a lot of topics. His talk about the current line-up, differences between the top and bottom teams, and transfers was insightful. Give it a listen.
    Here's the link.

https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...e_Shawhan_Hour

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coach Emeritus

So starts the stretch of 8 straight games with zero margin for error. To be in position to host the first weekend of the playoffs, I think the Huskies need all 24 points available in the next 4 series.

A tall order for a team that hasn't won more than 4 in a row this season.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    So starts the stretch of 8 straight games with zero margin for error. To be in position to host the first weekend of the playoffs, I think the Huskies need all 24 points available in the next 4 series.

A tall order for a team that hasn't won more than 4 in a row this season.
    In all due respect, I think they're 2 games into a 10 game stretch with zero margin for error. One point from BGSU at home did that to them. Unless they get some favours from other teams.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

They're just going to have to concentrate on finishing strong and getting momentum for conference playoffs. That's what matters now.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    In all due respect, I think they're 2 games into a 10 game stretch with zero margin for error. One point from BGSU at home did that to them. Unless they get some favours from other teams.

They should have gotten more from BGSU and BSU but JJM is right. They don't "need" favors as the other 5 teams they're fighting for home ice all have tougher schedules remaining and MTU has games in hand on Alaska.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    They should have gotten more from BGSU and BSU but JJM is right. They don't "need" favors as the other 5 teams they're fighting for home ice all have tougher schedules remaining and MTU has games in hand on Alaska.
    First and foremost we need to play hockey like we did at the GLI. What was that second half of the game after we went up 2? We should have dominated Ferris. Our guys need to stop being cute, make good secure passes and play Tech hockey.

If we play our game, we donít need help. With the way we are playing, we may need some strategic game results.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

What the )*$%(*$% happened to the offense the last three weeks?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    What the )*$%(*$% happened to the offense the last three weeks?
    Difficult to stomach for sure. On the third goal I thought it looked more like High school than college. My expectations have definitely been ratcheted well back. Heck we might lose 1 next weekend also. I think home ice is toast and we'll be on the road at bemidji.

In the last few games at least 1 goal per game has been due to the other side getting a trailer loose and hitting him for a score. Add that to the anemic pp and well.... Not to mention that we all love to dust off the puck before we shoot.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 01-25-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

When you watch the highlight package there were some bounces that did not go our way, a couple posts and Ferris was committed to blocking shots.

While I agree this was not the best effort, Friday could also have gone the same way, but the Huskies benefitted from a great play by Brice similar to the Parrottino goal tonight.

There were enough chances to win 5-2, but we were not able to capititalize. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out. I think these last 3 weeks of getting knocked down will actually help us in Feb and March.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    When you watch the highlight package
    there were some bounces that did not go our way, a couple posts and Ferris was committed to blocking shots.

While I agree this was not the best effort, Friday could also have gone the same way, but the Huskies benefitted from a great play by Brice similar to the Parrottino goal tonight.

There were enough chances to win 5-2, but we were not able to capititalize. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out. I think these last 3 weeks of getting knocked down will actually help us in Feb and March.
    You are very optimistic. This year was always another rebuilding year. It didnít seem like competing for home ice was an unrealistic goal for the team.

I give Alex Smith in his post game interview a lot of credit. Hopefully he and Ray can get after the guys to up their game.

Letís Go Tech!

Coach Emeritus

Calling it right now, no home ice.

The worst case scenario is a trip to Alaska, and that's still in play.

Thread Information