X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    And, can’t a government run program just as easily deny a procedure or claim as a private insurance company can?
    this should end in time. no reason if a doctor calls for a procedure for the health of the patient, that a for profit entity decides it isn't necessary. seriously, how did this even become an issue?!?!?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Death panels!

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        That sounds great.... but how do you know taxes will only go up “a little bit”?

And, can’t a government run program just as easily deny a procedure or claim as a private insurance company can?
        Medicare overhead is 2 percent. Insurance is 15 percent. That's how.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          I'm envisioning the problem being with the medical providers actually. Under M4A, they won't be able to play the games with their prices. Example:

- Procedure X
          - Person with no insurance gets a bill for $5000. (Hospital Looks to get all $5000. Slight risk they don't see all $5k, but may take time)
          - Person has BIG Co. INSURANCE. $5000 bill is submitted. Bill is adjusted to $3200. Insurance pays all $3200 (Lower payout, but guaranteed money)

Under M4A, doesn't it become Medicare offering $2200 for the procedure, take it or leave it? Providers are no longer setting the prices in that sense.
          Person paying cash gets a bill for $5000. Person with insurance gets a bill for $10,000, insurance says they will pay $8000, patient on the hook for the remainder.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            That sounds great.... but how do you know taxes will only go up “a little bit”?

Taxes are going to go up a ton.

And everybody will still save money and be better off except the 1%.

It really is a case of "it's them or us." They just got a windfall, every year, for half a century. Time to step up.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Taxes are going to go up a ton.

And everybody will still save money and be better off except the 1%.

It really is a case of "it's them or us." They just got a windfall, every year, for half a century. Time to step up.

I pay $4,680/yr in premiums for insurance for my family of three with a relatively low deductible (that I can get waived by participating in a wellness program) and reasonable out-of-pocket expenses. My employer pays around $20,000 towards our plan. My company is self-insured and pays Aetna to process claims and another party to administer the program and provide customer support.

I'm okay with my taxes going up -- but I think my and my wife's employers should shoulder the majority of the new tax burden (after all, they're getting off the hook for $20,000 in premium payments)

Comment

Eric red axe must work for an insurance co

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I'm okay with my taxes going up -- but I think my and my wife's employers should shoulder the majority of the new tax burden (after all, they're getting off the hook for $20,000 in premium payments)
                  I'm paying for this by taxing the rich.

Companies aren't to be involved anymore. They don't pay for your portion of military or environmental protection costs. But the people who own companies -- and everything -- are going to foot the bill exactly to the extent they own everything. Insofar as aggressive taxation eventually wears down inequality they will no longer be so "burdened" by their excessive wealth.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    I pay $4,680/yr in premiums for insurance for my family of three with a relatively low deductible (that I can get waived by participating in a wellness program) and reasonable out-of-pocket expenses. My employer pays around $20,000 towards our plan. My company is self-insured and pays Aetna to process claims and another party to administer the program and provide customer support.

Exactly. Its most likely true that people in general would save money on M4A when calculating higher taxes vs having all healthcare costs paid. The problem, once again, is that you can't expect the vast majority of the voting public to either be able to figure that out or take your word for it. Medical bills for those who aren't chronically ill tend to come haphazardly depending on when you need care. Tax withholdings show up as often as you get paid. People are going to notice the tax hit long before they notice, if they notice at all, lower medical bills. That's something advocates need to explain and manage better than they have thus far, even Lizzy Warren who's been stellar otherwise on her policy proposals. "Give me money today and I'll pay you back next year" isn't an arrangement most people are comfortable with however irrational that might be in this case. I'd prefer the taxes fall upon employers and the wealthy instead of the middle class.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Exactly. Its most likely true that people in general would save money on M4A when calculating higher taxes vs having all healthcare costs paid. The problem, once again, is that you can't expect the vast majority of the voting public to either be able to figure that out or take your word for it. Medical bills for those who aren't chronically ill tend to come haphazardly depending on when you need care.
                      While this is true, getting wiped out by medical bills is something that everybody except 20-something immortals worries about. The terror of cataclysm does carry weight. If you were right about psychology nobody would ever buy life insurance.

I acknowledge we have to do a much better job, but I don't think it's impossible -- I think with all but the most dense voter there is a rock of understanding to build on. I don't think Obama needed to compromise, but I also don't think he needed to use sleight of hand. And both decisions hurt him and us.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        While this is true, getting wiped out by medical bills is something that everybody except 20-something immortals worries about. The terror of cataclysm does carry weight. If you were right about psychology nobody would ever buy life insurance.

I acknowledge we have to do a much better job, but I don't think it's impossible -- I think with all but the most dense voter there is a rock of understanding to build on. I don't think Obama needed to compromise, but I also don't think he needed to use sleight of hand. And both decisions hurt him and us.
                        Kep, to your first paragraph of course people worry about that. But, the prescription can't be worse than the disease itself in the eyes of the voter. I personally don't trust the electorate enough to sign up for large across the board tax hikes in order to pay for medical bills that may or may not materialize. To your point, people do buy life insurance as everybody knows they're going to die. However, very, very few people buy long term care insurance because they're not expecting to have a lingering death (or just don't want to think about it).

Your second paragraph is typically obtuse when a politician doesn't line up with your viewpoint. Yes, if Joe Lieberman, Ben Nelson, John Tester, etc etc didn't exist, and were all replaced with uber liberals, we may have gotten more robust public healthcare. Unfortunately in reality, not fantasyland, it was not possible to get M4A or anything close by those senators. Whatever short term pain Obama and we suffered the fact is tens of millions of people have gained health insurance or have their existing insurance both cover more procedures and have a out of pocket cap so people aren't buried in medical bills. It astounds me how some Dems want to belittle every accomplishment from a past Dem President.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Your second paragraph is typically obtuse
                          Man, you're a charmer.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Meanwhile, AOC and Ilhan Omar are endorsing Bernie.

Damm Bernie Bros. He can't get any women or minorities to support him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Meanwhile, AOC and Ilhan Omar are endorsing Bernie.

Damm Bernie Bros. He can't get any women or minorities to support him.
                              This was breaking news two cycles ago

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                This was breaking news two cycles ago
                                But this thread hasn't been focused too much on breaking news recently...

Comment

Working...
                                X