Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 1001

Thread: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

  1. #301
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Between this and the GOP talking points that keep getting forwarded to Congressional Democrats, what is it about e-mail that conservatives don't understand?

    (other than all of it)
    millennials-boomers-pdf

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Between this and the GOP talking points that keep getting forwarded to Congressional Democrats, what is it about e-mail that conservatives don't understand?

    (other than all of it)
    It doesn't matter. It's a grift for Wohl. He's not trying to change any opinions or influence any elections, he's just found a cheap way to make money off of rubes.

  3. #303
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    32,627

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Wait, the dude's last name is Newaldass? The Onion might have gone with Tapthat...

  4. #304
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    836

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    With my town of Westerville, OH hosting the next Democratic debate, the Mrs. and I took advantage of an opportunity to attend the Ohio Democratic Party State Dinner ($250 got you a seat on the floor for the rubber chicken dinner while $20 got you a seat in the bleachers with all the free popcorn you could eat). Five candidates gave their stump speech: Mayor Pete, Amy Klobuchar, fellow BG Falcon alum Tim Ryan, Tom Steyer, and Andrew Yang. Julian Castro was supposed to attend but his plane was late. My wife is a Mayor Pete supporter and he was impressive, but I was most impressed with Yang and Ryan. Klobuchar sounded like she was on CSPAN and the content wasn't any more spectacular. Steyer was all over the place. Here's what resonated with me about Ryan and Yang:

    Ryan - "Yeah, I support all the standard stuff about healthcare, yadda, yadda, but all that's just symptoms of the problem. You want to make a difference? Fight for a $30/hr wage, not $15. That will solve all these other symptoms." I like that, but he was a tad lacking in details about how to pull that off. What stuck me was that if any of the other candidates not in the room are pushing this, it's not resonating with me.

    Yang - "You think manufacturing job loss is a problem? Wait 'til further technological disruptions like driverless trucks put 3.5 million truck drivers out of work along with the choke-n-pukes that support them. Amazon collects billions of revenue from Ohio that used to go to local business who paid taxes. And Amazon isn't paying local taxes (or sponsoring your kids soccer team). Answer -- pay everyone $1k/month." Not sure I buy the solution; I'd heard this in various forms prior but it was pretty cool hearing it live and in context. The other interesting thing he said is that Trump correctly identified the problem but his solutions are all wrong (build a wall, etc.).

    Quote of the evening was from Yang: "The exact opposite of Donald Trump is an Asian guy who loves math." One other observation was the limited amount of Trump bashing. With a ballroom full of believers everyone on stage apparently assumes the obvious.

    I wasn't sure what to expect going in but was very glad we went. Enjoyed the evening and the popcorn.

  5. #305
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Does one think that other companies will adjust their wages in relation to the $15 min wage? No. They will not. That will cause all sorts of problems. It may well come to the point where blue collar careers might switch to a slightly lesser paying McJob with the same benefits, because less stress.

    Secondary point, half the time, anecdotal, those workers can't even get their job right in the first place. It's a McJob for a reason. It's an entry level job to teach you to advance in the job market.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #306
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    836

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Does one think that other companies will adjust their wages in relation to the $15 min wage? No. They will not. That will cause all sorts of problems. It may well come to the point where blue collar careers might switch to a slightly lesser paying McJob with the same benefits, because less stress.

    Secondary point, half the time, anecdotal, those workers can't even get their job right in the first place. It's a McJob for a reason. It's an entry level job to teach you to advance in the job market.
    Don't disagree with any of your points, just sharing my observations based on seeing these folks live for the first time.

  7. #307
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    Don't disagree with any of your points, just sharing my observations based on seeing these folks live for the first time.
    I hear ya. Many see the short term benefits, yet do not see the long term effects.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #308
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Does one think that other companies will adjust their wages in relation to the $15 min wage? No. They will not. That will cause all sorts of problems. It may well come to the point where blue collar careers might switch to a slightly lesser paying McJob with the same benefits, because less stress.

    Secondary point, half the time, anecdotal, those workers can't even get their job right in the first place. It's a McJob for a reason. It's an entry level job to teach you to advance in the job market.
    But just because you’re entry level doesn’t mean you should struggle in poverty. Minimum wage should be a living wage.

  9. #309
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    But just because you’re entry level doesn’t mean you should struggle in poverty. Minimum wage should be a living wage.
    Min wage is the "here's your training for a real living job."

    Note: I am NOT shaming the crappy jobs.They are honest jobs, making you work. They are training you for something better. They are giving you skills (hopefully) to succeed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #310
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Min wage is the "here's your training for a real living job."

    Note: I am NOT shaming the crappy jobs.They are honest jobs, making you work. They are training you for something better. They are giving you skills (hopefully) to succeed.
    Have you seen the people working the McJobs? They aren't teenagers working entry level jobs.

  11. #311
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Have you seen the people working the McJobs? They aren't teenagers working entry level jobs.
    I have. Many are retirees who are most often bored with retirement (my dad included; although he does other menial jobs outside of fast food). And some are working their way up to management, where the money is, and still others (myself included back in the day) work that job (and that many hours/week) so we don't have to do that later in life.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #312

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    LOL you think management at McDonalds is where the money is?

  13. #313
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    LOL you think management at McDonalds is where the money is?
    They can make a decent living, yes.

    So many think that "the money" is a corner office making 200K/year. Not everyone needs that. Many just want enough to have a decent living, good benefits, and that's it. I'm one of them. I'd give up a few extra grand for less stress and such, and be HAPPY with my job, and my life.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #314
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I have. Many are retirees who are most often bored with retirement (my dad included; although he does other menial jobs outside of fast food). And some are working their way up to management, where the money is, and still others (myself included back in the day) work that job (and that many hours/week) so we don't have to do that later in life.
    Bored with retirement? BORED?????? My mother is 75 and works out of necessity. So do a lot of people her age.

    And seriously, you think that a manager at McDonald's is "where the money is" Really? Wow.

  15. #315
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Bored with retirement? BORED?????? My mother is 75 and works out of necessity. So do a lot of people her age.

    And seriously, you think that a manager at McDonald's is "where the money is" Really? Wow.
    Believe it or not, yes, one can make some dough. Even become a franchisee. I was at that point, early on in my career path.

    You're shaming that path, and whether you realize it or not...take a step back.

    I don't make a ton of money, but my job is pretty much perfect for me. I wouldn't trade it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #316

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    25,206
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Believe it or not, yes, one can make some dough. Even become a franchisee. I was at that point, early on in my career path.

    You're shaming that path, and whether you realize it or not...take a step back.

    I don't make a ton of money, but my job is pretty much perfect for me. I wouldn't trade it.
    You also work for a company that isn't notoriously frugal on paying employees. Or at least I have never heard your employer mentioned in minimum wage discussions.

    Also, McDonalds, because of the franchise model, wildly varies from franchisee to franchisee.

  17. #317
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    You also work for a company that isn't notoriously frugal on paying employees. Or at least I have never heard your employer mentioned in minimum wage discussions.

    Also, McDonalds, because of the franchise model, wildly varies from franchisee to franchisee.
    Min wage jobs are TRAINING JOBS. They are not meant to sustain a career. They are stepping stones. Simple as that. When I first started out, it wasn't at my current company. It was the food court at the local mall and a small, privately owned family company. Those jobs gave me the knowledge and lessons to advance in other jobs. And it paid off.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #318
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Min wage jobs are TRAINING JOBS. They are not meant to sustain a career. They are stepping stones. Simple as that. When I first started out, it wasn't at my current company. It was the food court at the local mall and a small, privately owned family company. Those jobs gave me the knowledge and lessons to advance in other jobs. And it paid off.
    There are no places to step. The job market is garbage. Yes, there are tons of jobs out there but they all pay crap wages. And no, I'm not "shaming" any one, except the CEO and executives at places like McDonald's that pay minimum wage to everyone regardless if they are 16 or 66. Do you really think a 66 year-old is using minimum wage as a stepping stone to another career?

  19. #319
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,865

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    There are no places to step. The job market is garbage. Yes, there are tons of jobs out there but they all pay crap wages. And no, I'm not "shaming" any one, except the CEO and executives at places like McDonald's that pay minimum wage to everyone regardless if they are 16 or 66. Do you really think a 66 year-old is using minimum wage as a stepping stone to another career?
    And do you realize that blue collar jobs are BEGGING for workers, and are paying rather well?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #320
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    And do you realize that blue collar jobs are BEGGING for workers, and are paying rather well?
    Blue collar jobs. Like LL Bean? When I started working there 26 years ago my starting wage was 42% higher than minimum wage. The current starting wage is 13% higher than minimum wage. Is that the "rather well" you mean?

    Of course, back then it was family owned. Now it isn't.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •