This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    As opposed to the successful "working with Republicans" strategy the party had from 2009-2016 which resulted in the party losing over 1000 seats in state legislatures, losing majorities in both the House and Senate, losing the White House.
    It’s impossible to win by only appealing to the liberal wing of the party.

A large part of the 1000+ seat loss is that the democrats have lost the rural working class

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      It’s impossible to win by only appealing to the liberal wing of the party.

A large part of the 1000+ seat loss is that the democrats have lost the rural working class
      Cause they're "economically anxious".

Yet they continue to vote for the party that sends their jobs overseas and their tax money to the 1%.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Cause they're "economically anxious".

Yet they continue to vote for the party that sends their jobs overseas and their tax money to the 1%.
        And I don't see that changing any time soon. But, there are enough sane people in the US to elect a Democratic majority to the Senate, House, and White House. Just need to find a way to get them to the polls.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Let me see if I have this straight.

From 1968 - 1988 Dems ran arch liberals for Prez. They won exactly one election, which is when a more moderate candidate (Carter) triumphed. They lost 5. They also got absolutely crushed in 3 of those elections (1972, 1984, 1988) with very liberal nominees.

From 1992 - 2016, Dems have won 4 out of 7 times. They had a Dem serve two full terms for the first time since FDR (Clinton). They had a Prez win 51% of the vote in both elections for the first time since Eisenhower. They've won the popular vote in 6 of those 7 contests and the other loss (2004) was relatively narrow.

BUT, based on the Bernie caucus, who apparently knows more about winning elections that Barack Obama (I mean, I'm an arrogant guy, but geesh that's even a leap for me!) we should go BACK to nominating the people who lost every election where they were the nominee? Huh.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Let me see if I have this straight.

From 1968 - 1988 Dems ran arch liberals for Prez. They won exactly one election, which is when a more moderate candidate (Carter) triumphed. They lost 5. They also got absolutely crushed in 3 of those elections (1972, 1984, 1988) with very liberal nominees.

From 1992 - 2016, Dems have won 4 out of 7 times. They had a Dem serve two full terms for the first time since FDR (Clinton). They had a Prez win 51% of the vote in both elections for the first time since Eisenhower. They've won the popular vote in 6 of those 7 contests and the other loss (2004) was relatively narrow.

BUT, based on the Bernie caucus, who apparently knows more about winning elections that Barack Obama (I mean, I'm an arrogant guy, but geesh that's even a leap for me!) we should go BACK to nominating the people who lost every election where they were the nominee? Huh.
            So, basically what you're saying is the Democrats have to be conservative light to win. Oh goody. You're right though. That's the country we live in. Despite all this love of progressive policies, progressive taxation, and progressive rights for the minority we really would rather be conservative and incremental about things. And whenever possible we love to cut taxes for everybody, cause it's not fair to cut them for the people that don't pay the same amount even though they earn and have so much less.

So, yes, conservative light again please. Cause that's America.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              So, basically what you're saying is the Democrats have to be conservative light to win. Oh goody. You're right though. That's the country we live in. Despite all this love of progressive policies, progressive taxation, and progressive rights for the minority we really would rather be conservative and incremental about things. And whenever possible we love to cut taxes for everybody, cause it's not fair to cut them for the people that don't pay the same amount even though they earn and have so much less.

No, I'm saying stop applying purity tests especially retroactive ones to people who have won or you risk looking like a fool. You're also playing right into the GOP's hands. If the Democrats have no "heroes" in living memory (very few people left who remember FDR's Presidency in its entirety) then there's no legacy to build upon nor a way to appeal to the electorate based on past performance. Astounds me that some people think the best way to win the next election is by loudly declaring we haven't had a true liberal winner since 1944!!!

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

yet Obama, as centrist as he was as President, was light years better than Trump

Comment

No, I'm saying stop applying purity tests especially retroactive ones to people who have won or you risk looking like a fool. You're also playing right into the GOP's hands. If the Democrats have no "heroes" in living memory (very few people left who remember FDR's Presidency in its entirety) then there's no legacy to build upon nor a way to appeal to the electorate based on past performance. Astounds me that some people think the best way to win the next election is by loudly declaring we haven't had a true liberal winner since 1944!!!
                  Who's applying a purity test? If Biden wins, I vote for him. If Liz wins, I vote for her. I can't "fix" other people. However, in the primary I'm going Liz if she's still around for Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    yet Obama, as centrist as he was as President, was light years better than Trump
                    Yet, after 8 years of Obama people elected Trump and more conservatives to more offices than ever before. There's always two sides to every coin.

And, EVERY President was better than Trump. Even W, who was the worst before Trump was light years better.

Comment

Yet, after 8 years of Obama people elected Trump and more conservatives to more offices than ever before. There's always two sides to every coin.

And, EVERY President was better than Trump. Even W, who was the worst before Trump was light years better.
                      W is responsible for the death and suffering of millions. it's pretty tough to beat that, but Trump is trying

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        W is responsible for the death and suffering of millions. it's pretty tough to beat that, but Trump is trying
                        Trump's policies will eventually kill billions.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Basically yes. Like it or not, America as a whole is probably pretty much center-right fiscally and center-left socially.

Comment

Who's applying a purity test? If Biden wins, I vote for him. If Liz wins, I vote for her. I can't "fix" other people. However, in the primary I'm going Liz if she's still around for Minnesota.
                            Calling all past Dem Presidents "centrists" is stupid. Those people were liberal for their times.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Basically yes. Like it or not, America as a whole is probably pretty much center-right fiscally and center-left socially.
                              Uh, no. Extreme Right fiscally and center-right socially is more accurate. Trickle down has been the economic theory and application for over 40 years and that is an extreme position. Socially we have not progressed beyond what a 5-4 decision in the Supreme Court will net the country. A 5-4 that no longer exists. That points right, not left.

Comment

Calling all past Dem Presidents "centrists" is stupid. Those people were liberal for their times.
                                They all have been since FDR.

Comment

Working...
                                X