X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    And what does that have to do with increasing the minimum wage beyond nothing more than abject poverty?
    Because other companies will not raise their wages in a relative manner, thereby possible shifting employees to less stressful jobs that pay only slightly less, creating an emptiness in some markets that is not currently there. Worse cases would also include more automation (notice the uptick in self-checkouts at stores? Each station = one less job), or less hours overall with more part-time workers to fill said hours (more jobs, but more hours needed by a person to make a living). Finally, stores will cut benefits when they can, so one might be making more money, but that money will have to go to other expenses caused by getting that pay raise.

For the automation part, there's a reason I refuse to use them. I want the store clerks to keep their jobs.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      Because other companies will not raise their wages in a relative manner, thereby possible shifting employees to less stressful jobs that pay only slightly less, creating an emptiness in some markets that is not currently there. Worse cases would also include more automation (notice the uptick in self-checkouts at stores? Each station = one less job), or less hours overall with more part-time workers to fill said hours (more jobs, but more hours needed by a person to make a living). Finally, stores will cut benefits when they can, so one might be making more money, but that money will have to go to other expenses caused by getting that pay raise.

For the automation part, there's a reason I refuse to use them. I want the store clerks to keep their jobs.
      Dude, they already do that. There's a reason we have a "gig" economy (and that isn't short for 'gigabit' or anything like that; it's a reference to a gig, like a band gets a gig). That economy is already taking away ALL benefits. Forcing companies to recognize these people as employees and pay them a living wage is a start. We can work on benefits after we set a baseline.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Dude, they already do that. There's a reason we have a "gig" economy (and that isn't short for 'gigabit' or anything like that; it's a reference to a gig, like a band gets a gig). That economy is already taking away ALL benefits. Forcing companies to recognize these people as employees and pay them a living wage is a start. We can work on benefits after we set a baseline.
        And companies will still find ways to screw (for lack of a better term) employees. They will not make the shareholders mad, because if they do, some higher ups will lose their jobs and the higher ups cannot have that happening.

And you didn't have to explain "gig." I understand that completely. Oh wait, I'm just a warehouse worker. Sorry. Derp-a-derp.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

And you didn't have to explain "gig." I understand that completely. Oh wait, I'm just a warehouse worker. Sorry. Derp-a-derp.
          **** off. That wasn't being condescending. That was explaining because everyone I've explained that to so far didn't know that's where it came from.

When have I EVER made a comment disparaging your job? You can take your sanctimonious martyrdom crap elsewhere.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If there is emptiness in a market and it truly needs to be filled, then employers will raise wages to attract workers.

Automation is happening anyway. Are we going to suddenly make engineering and software development a terrible paying job so it stops those industries from creating self driving cars because it will eventually eliminate truckers?
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Brent, since I am the other warehouse worker here I’m allowed to say this to you: Shut the **** up and get off the cross, we need the wood.

People are going in on you not because you work in a warehouse but because you hold stupid opinions.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

**** off. That wasn't being condescending. That was explaining because everyone I've explained that to so far didn't know that's where it came from.

When have I EVER made a comment disparaging your job? You can take your sanctimonious martyrdom crap elsewhere.
                It wasn't you ripping the job (which you didn't), it was you assuming I didn't know what a "gig economy" was. If I didn't know, I would have asked what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Brent, since I am the other warehouse worker here I’m allowed to say this to you: Shut the **** up and get off the cross, we need the wood.

People are going in on you not because you work in a warehouse but because you hold stupid opinions.
                  I hold different opinions.
                  https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/busin...ase/index.html
                  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-hours-changes

And as I mentioned before, more automation in stores.

How is this helping the workers?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I hold different opinions.
                    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/busin...ase/index.html
                    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-hours-changes

And as I mentioned before, more automation in stores.

How is this helping the workers?
                    No you hold stupid opinions that degrade people working honest jobs by believing they shouldn’t have a livable wage.

Quit trying to change topics to automation to avoid discussing your original statement.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      No you hold stupid opinions that degrade people working honest jobs by believing they shouldn’t have a livable wage.

Quit trying to change topics to automation to avoid discussing your original statement.
                      I have never degraded people working honest jobs. I have specifically said I respect them working honest jobs. However, not all jobs are created equal. Certain jobs are stepping stones to a livable career job. Basic jobs train you for better paying jobs down the line.

It is why it's called a career path. Basic jobs set you up for success later in life, after you establish what you want to do with it, what job makes you happy, etc. They teach you work ethic, managing basic tasks, organization, etc.

Comment

It wasn't you ripping the job (which you didn't), it was you assuming I didn't know what a "gig economy" was. If I didn't know, I would have asked what you meant.
                        Then what the **** was your childish outburst for? If my post was the first post where someone assumed you (or anyone, for that matter) didn’t know something, then I’ll eat my hat.
                        Code:

Comment

Then what the **** was your childish outburst for? If my post was the first post where someone assumed you (or anyone, for that matter) didn’t know something, then I’ll eat my hat.
                          Would you like ketchup with that? And "childish outburst?" *chuckles* If you think that was a childish outburst...wow.

Comment

I’m re-treading this joke again

Rube: don’t degrade my job
                            Also rube: your job is a starter job. It’s not a real job.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              Self checkouts aren’t taking anyone’s job. Those are jobs they can’t fill anyway.

Comment

I’m re-treading this joke again

Rube: don’t degrade my job
                                Also rube: your job is a starter job. It’s not a real job.
                                It is a real job. Don't twist my words. It's not a CAREER. The "starter jobs" are not meant to make a career out of. It's the first step to a career, whether in that industry or something completely different.

Grade school is not college. Both are schooling and education, but are on different levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X