• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Yeah, let's raise the min wage, and see what happens:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/busin...rce=twbusiness
    Their hours are more likely being cut because of the overall retail sector shenanigans that are going on, not because of the increased wages.

Comment

With the recent release in the number of job vacancies, there are now 10 open jobs for every nine unemployed Minnesotans.
      That's the free market telling businesses to pay more.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        That's the free market telling businesses to pay more.
        its also businesses not wanting to pay more while hand selecting who they want to fill their vacancies. A healthy economy with low unemployment leaves the bottom of the barrel for companies to add employees from.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Their hours are more likely being cut because of the overall retail sector shenanigans that are going on, not because of the increased wages.
        What?! Corporations playing bookkeeping shenanigans to reduce their costs? Never! Next you're going to tell me some companies will try to save money by not paying their health insurance premiums like they promise...
        Last edited by aparch; 10-14-2019, 08:32 PM.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          I’m on board with amy, and I suspect you, with her plan. College isn’t free- but direct people into those skilled blue collar jobs and make loans less predatory and control the outrageous costs of college
          And make these jobs less "shameful" in society's eyes. I have been eye-rolled when I state I work for a warehouse. My brother has gotten the same when he states he's an auto mechanic. It's bullsh*. It's one of the few things that really p*sses me off.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And make these jobs less "shameful" in society's eyes. I have been eye-rolled when I state I work for a warehouse. My brother has gotten the same when he states he's an auto mechanic. It's bullsh*. It's one of the few things that really p*sses me off.
            But what are you doing to the fast food workers when you say they shouldn't be paid a living wage and their job isn't a "real" job?
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              But what are you doing to the fast food workers when you say they shouldn't be paid a living wage and their job isn't a "real" job?
              Those jobs are real jobs. They are honest jobs. But they are not careers, nor are they meant to be. They are starter jobs. Jobs that are meant to move into management within the same company, or to move on to other jobs with more responsibility. They are at best, "learning jobs," and at worst "supplemental income" jobs. There is no shame in having that job. NONE. But they are not meant for a career.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Those jobs are real jobs. They are honest jobs. But they are not careers, nor are they meant to be. They are starter jobs. Jobs that are meant to move into management within the same company, or to move on to other jobs with more responsibility. They are at best, "learning jobs," and at worst "supplemental income" jobs. There is no shame in having that job. NONE. But they are not meant for a career.
                So...when they do become a career because nothing else is available?

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  So...when they do become a career because nothing else is available?
                  Nothing else available......
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Nothing else available......
                    You think flipping burgers prepares you to do HVAC? You going to ask the grandma at Dunkin' for help with your plumbing and electrical?

Comment

*sigh*
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        You think flipping burgers prepares you to do HVAC? You going to ask the grandma at Dunkin' for help with your plumbing and electrical?
                        I see you like to look at the tree instead of the forest.....

Comment

WalMart made a profit of over 100B in 2018. They could give hourly workers a raise and not increase prices one cent, except keeping shareholders happy is more important than making sure employees can eat without food stamps.

Comment

Also, we refer to them as McJobs, but the sad reality is they aren't just fast food gigs. The Prompto in Brunswick is hiring people to do oil changes for $.50 above minimum wage.

Comment

Bullsh*. There aren't enough white collar jobs. Blue collar is hurting. Manufacturing/etc are begging for workers.
                              https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/3...the-most-open/
                              As of Sept 30, this year.

With the recent release in the number of job vacancies, there are now 10 open jobs for every nine unemployed Minnesotans.
                              sure, we should do a better job training people for the trades -- BEFORE they enter the job market. most of the people working minimum wage jobs lack the skills required to move up to "real jobs" as you would say. The average McDonalds worker is unqualified to work as a mechanic, HVAC tech, electrician, plumber nor can they take the time to get trained when they're working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Maybe if they only had to work one job with consistent hours they could take some classes at the local adult ed program or community college.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                sure, we should do a better job training people for the trades -- BEFORE they enter the job market. most of the people working minimum wage jobs lack the skills required to move up to "real jobs" as you would say. The average McDonalds worker is unqualified to work as a mechanic, HVAC tech, electrician, plumber nor can they take the time to get trained when they're working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Maybe if they only had to work one job with consistent hours they could take some classes at the local adult ed program or community college.
                                This is another key thing that is often overlooked. Many employers want you available 24/7 to be considered for "full time". If not, "part time" is all that's open to you. Some places are willing to work with you in this regard, while others will straight up tell you that people that are open 24/7 will get priority for hours. I've seen this 1st hand where college kids and others that have significant schedule limits were discriminated against because the people running things didn't want to be bothered to work around someone's schedule.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X