This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

We don't need Medicare for all. The current system is working great!
    When Medical Debt Collectors Decide Who Gets Arrested: Welcome to Coffeyville, Kansas

On the last Tuesday of July, Tres Biggs stepped into the courthouse in Coffeyville, Kansas, for medical debt collection day, a monthly ritual in this quiet city of 9,000, just over the Oklahoma border. He was one of 90 people who had been summoned, sued by the local hospital, or doctors, or an ambulance service over unpaid bills. Some wore eye patches and bandages; others limped to their seats by the wood-paneled walls. Biggs, who is 41, had to take a day off from work to be there. He knew from experience that if he didn’t show up, he could be put in jail.

Before the morning’s hearing, he listened as defendants traded stories. One woman recalled how, at four months pregnant, she had reported a money order scam to her local sheriff’s office only to discover that she had a warrant; she was arrested on the spot. A radiologist had sued her over a $230 bill, and she’d missed one hearing too many. Another woman said she watched, a decade ago, as a deputy came to the door for her diabetic aunt and took her to jail in her final years of life. Now here she was, dealing with her own debt, trying to head off the same fate.

Biggs, who is tall and broad-shouldered, with sun-scorched skin and bright hazel eyes, looked up as defendants talked, but he was embarrassed to say much. His court dates had begun after his son developed leukemia, and they’d picked up when his wife started having seizures. He, too, had been arrested because of medical debt. It had happened more than once.

Judge David Casement entered the courtroom, a black robe swaying over his cowboy boots and silversmithed belt buckle. He is a cattle rancher who was appointed a magistrate judge, though he’d never taken a course in law. Judges don’t need a law degree in Kansas, or many other states, to preside over cases like these. Casement asked the defendants to take an oath and confirmed that the newcomers confessed to their debt. A key purpose of the hearing, though, was for patients to face debt collectors. “They want to talk to you about trying to set up a payment plan, and after you talk with them, you are free to go,” he told the debtors. Then, he left the room.

Comment

Remember when we had debtor’s prison?

Apparently we all do now.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I realize it’s Kansas but it reads like something you’d see in a paper from 1850.

Comment

Sounds almost as miserable as living in Sweden or Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            I realize it’s Kansas but it reads like something you’d see in a paper from 1850.
            I had a great great uncle spend time in St. Cloud Correctional for debt. That’s how crazy insane and old this sounds.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              I realize it’s Kansas but it reads like something you’d see in a paper from 1850.
              It's not just Kansas

The sickest patients are often the most indebted, and they’re not exempt from arrest. In Indiana, a cancer patient was hauled away from home in her pajamas in front of her three children; too weak to climb the stairs to the women’s area of the jail, she spent the night in a men’s mental health unit where an inmate smeared feces on the wall. In Utah, a man who had ignored orders to appear over an unpaid ambulance bill told friends he would rather die than go to jail; the day he was arrested, he snuck poison into the cell and ended his life.

Comment

Utah, Indiana, and Kansas. I can’t think of anything they all have in common.
                Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Oh, he's definitely auditioning for 2028..
                  Ha! At 46? Too young.

Try 2056
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Utah, Indiana, and Kansas. I can’t think of anything they all have in common.
                    I can't see how sucking in football has bearing on this.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pete's positioning himself as the "well-educated centrist" candidate for many years to come. Once M4A is a thing and progs shift the message to silly nonsense like putting all Americans on the dole (UBI), he'll be right there posturing about how that goes against the spirit of the American Dream™ and other stuff that sings to Ma and Pa Kettle.

Comment

Hillary attempts to ring the silent alarm on Tulsi.

Comment

And this is why Facebook was something I decided I could live without.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

It's a strange comment when "we aren't the arbitrators of truth" or "free speech" were right there to pick off the tree.

Next time I get nailed for petty theft I'm going to tell the judge "it's just something we have to live with, your honor." I'm sure he'll let it slide.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

DIAF Zuckerberg you lazy ****.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                DIAF Zuckerberg you lazy ****.
                                All of these fat cats are looking at Lizzy's polling #'s and seeing the writing on the wall in terms of regulation. I'd expect Zuck to completely turn over the Facebook platform to the Russian intelligence service in the week leading up to the election.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X