Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
Results 361 to 370 of 370

Thread: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

  1. #361
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,571

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Yeah, let's raise the min wage, and see what happens:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/busin...rce=twbusiness
    Their hours are more likely being cut because of the overall retail sector shenanigans that are going on, not because of the increased wages.

  2. #362
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,571

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    With the recent release in the number of job vacancies, there are now 10 open jobs for every nine unemployed Minnesotans.
    That's the free market telling businesses to pay more.

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    23,997
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    That's the free market telling businesses to pay more.
    its also businesses not wanting to pay more while hand selecting who they want to fill their vacancies. A healthy economy with low unemployment leaves the bottom of the barrel for companies to add employees from.

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Their hours are more likely being cut because of the overall retail sector shenanigans that are going on, not because of the increased wages.
    What?! Corporations playing bookkeeping shenanigans to reduce their costs? Never! Next you're going to tell me some companies will try to save money by not paying their health insurance premiums like they promise...
    Last edited by aparch; Yesterday at 08:32 PM.

  4. #364
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,094

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Iím on board with amy, and I suspect you, with her plan. College isnít free- but direct people into those skilled blue collar jobs and make loans less predatory and control the outrageous costs of college
    And make these jobs less "shameful" in society's eyes. I have been eye-rolled when I state I work for a warehouse. My brother has gotten the same when he states he's an auto mechanic. It's bullsh*. It's one of the few things that really p*sses me off.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #365
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,895

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    And make these jobs less "shameful" in society's eyes. I have been eye-rolled when I state I work for a warehouse. My brother has gotten the same when he states he's an auto mechanic. It's bullsh*. It's one of the few things that really p*sses me off.
    But what are you doing to the fast food workers when you say they shouldn't be paid a living wage and their job isn't a "real" job?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  6. #366
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,094

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    But what are you doing to the fast food workers when you say they shouldn't be paid a living wage and their job isn't a "real" job?
    Those jobs are real jobs. They are honest jobs. But they are not careers, nor are they meant to be. They are starter jobs. Jobs that are meant to move into management within the same company, or to move on to other jobs with more responsibility. They are at best, "learning jobs," and at worst "supplemental income" jobs. There is no shame in having that job. NONE. But they are not meant for a career.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #367
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,903

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Those jobs are real jobs. They are honest jobs. But they are not careers, nor are they meant to be. They are starter jobs. Jobs that are meant to move into management within the same company, or to move on to other jobs with more responsibility. They are at best, "learning jobs," and at worst "supplemental income" jobs. There is no shame in having that job. NONE. But they are not meant for a career.
    So...when they do become a career because nothing else is available?

  8. #368
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,253
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    So...when they do become a career because nothing else is available?
    Nothing else available......

  9. #369
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Nothing else available......
    You think flipping burgers prepares you to do HVAC? You going to ask the grandma at Dunkin' for help with your plumbing and electrical?

  10. #370
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,253

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers Vi: The Undiscovered Country

    *sigh*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. ericredaxe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •