This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    It would be unfair to expect one person to be able to handle the work of two.

Hahahahahaha... tell that to my CEO. 😭
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2019-2020: "We're on the clock" <<<

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
      Hahahahahaha... tell that to my CEO. 😭
      This is the age we live in.

Comment

This is the age we live in.
        If the tigers keep playing the way they did last night, I’m more than happy to be living in this age!😎
        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          If the tigers keep playing the way they did last night, I’m more than happy to be living in this age!��
          Yes, if they continue to play as well as they have against their non-conference opponents when the conference schedule begins, they should win a lot more than they lose.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Next "weekend" (Thursday/Friday) will be big as the conference schedule starts up. I like that the Tigers are getting Air Force right away. Air Force is winless on the year so far with losses to Notre Dame and Arizona State and lost by 3 goals or more in all but their first. However, they are always tough at home for the Tigers. The way RIT is playing, I expect to get some points out of this weekend. I think 2 wins will be a tall order, but if they do that it will certainly send a message to the rest of the league.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I watched Saturday's game on WBGT. I knew that the broadcast would be in standard definition, but did SD always look that bad, or have we just become so accustomed to HD? It was also rather annoying to have to turn the volume up about 5 notches more than normal just to hear the RIT broadcast, then the commercials were super loud. I probably shouldn't complain, because what we have is better than no TV coverage at all, but man, we were really spoiled the last 10 years or so!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joew74 View Post
                I watched Saturday's game on WBGT. I knew that the broadcast would be in standard definition, but did SD always look that bad, or have we just become so accustomed to HD? It was also rather annoying to have to turn the volume up about 5 notches more than normal just to hear the RIT broadcast, then the commercials were super loud. I probably shouldn't complain, because what we have is better than no TV coverage at all, but man, we were really spoiled the last 10 years or so!!!
                I rectified the audio issue at least by muting the broadcast (those jokers don't know what they're talking about anyway) and syncing up the IHeartRadio stream of 1280AM on my phone to get Ed and Scott's commentary. But yeah, I thought the broadcast was a little bit below the standards of SD as well, like the screen ratio was off on the network. Maybe something I could have fixed by messing with my TV's display, but I just rolled with it.

Anyway, real good win. Merrimack might not be a good Hockey East team, but they're still a Hockey East team, and we were in control from when we scored the first goal. Good to see them pick up 3 even strength goals for the 2nd time this year, and the PP continued to click as well. I have a couple issues to get off my chest, one that doesn't even have to do with the team - and that is that the officiating was horrendous. Of all the infractions that they ignored through the first half of the game, they finally took their whistles out of their pocket to call something that was frankly not interference. There's actually conflicting "notes" in the NCAA rulebook that the NCAA really should look at fixing when it comes to the interference rule (59.1):

Note 1 says "The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession." This seems to say that when a forward chips the puck by a defender, he is still technically by rule the player in possession, so he can be hit/obstructed (not held or hooked, obviously, as that would still be holding or hooking). But interference is explicitly defined as obstructing/interfering with a player who is not in possession of the puck. By this note, the interference call that was the first penalty of the game was complete bupkis.

However, Note 2 goes on to say "In dump and chase situations, immediate contact may be made against the attacking player who dumps the puck past a defender. The defender is obligated to release immediately so as not to be guilty of interference. The standard is no longer two seconds or two strides after releasing the puck." - This note seems to say that a player who dumps the puck in is legally no longer in possession of the puck two seconds (or two strides) after releasing the puck - which often contradicts the above note that "the last player to touch the puck is legally considered the player of possession." Regardless, the interference call on RIT (an immediate two gloved push to the chest of the onrushing Merrimack player immediately after he dumped it in) was an awful call in a vacuum, and made even worse considering all the infractions by both teams that had gone uncalled up to that point.

In case you guys didn't notice, poorly called interference is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, the other thing I worry a little about is the lack of shots RIT is attempting. This game was a bit better in that the territorial numbers were about even at even-strength (shot attempts were 43-43 overall, but Merrimack had more than 5 minutes of extra PP time compared to RIT - I think the ES shot attempts were something like 42-35 in RIT's favor, IIRC), but they've really struggled to get a lot of shots towards and on the net over the first four games. 83 SOG is not a lot over 4 games, and I worry that the 13.2% shot percentage is something that may not be sustainable over the length of a season. It sure beats the early part of this decade though, when they would pile up 35-40 shots regularly and only score once or twice a night. Hopefully once conference play starts we can start tilting the ice a little bit while sustaining a still respectable shot percentage.
                Last edited by jflory81; 10-21-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Ryan Kruper's game-winning goal in the 1st period is USCHO's No. 5 play of the week: https://www.uscho.com/2019/10/21/usc...eek-oct-18-20/

Comment

Orange Cat Review RIT Vs. Merrimack - Brick City @ Blue Cross

Puck Drop: After a split against Nationally ranked teams in the Ice Breaker, RIT does their annual thing of taking over Blue Cross Arena for a game to make the Amerks jealous of the crowd they draw. They play a young Merrimack team that many don't have high hopes for, but put RIT on notice after beating Holy Cross on Thursday 3-1. But 1st period goals by Ryan Kruper & Andrew Petrucci were more than enough for Logan Drackett who keeps up with his hot start with a shutout, more on Drackett later. The Tigers did play well, but the score was not indicative of the play on the ice. Unlike last week we really could use advance metrics to examine this game. RIT is now 3-1 in nonConference play with 4 games (plus 1 exhibition) to play out of conference.

Blame Game: : I don't know how RIT keeps doing it, but they keep finding teams who want to play a game within a night or two of playing a well rested RIT team in front of a 10,000-ish crowd wearing Orange.

Hockey Hero: Logan Drackett, 28 saves and his first shutout of the year and the way he is playing it's hard to believe that he won't have more. I seem to get in trouble when I make Shane Madolora comparisons, but his positioning really reminds me of Shane, and I think his ability to make jaw dropping saves might exceed Shane. Logan now has stopped 122 of 128 shots for a .953 svs%.

Turing Point: Merrimack really played the second period they needed too, out shoot the Tigers 9-5 and was a bounce away from making the game interesting, but then Elijah Gonsalves drifted by a sleeping Merrimack defense to tap in his first collegiate goal. After that the only question was the one you don't talk about till the third period is over...

Hey, You Did Good: Shawn Cameron has jumped out as a possible upper classman to score the goals for the Tigers. 3 goals and 4 points thus far, but even more exciting is if you breakdown the 10 Tigers with at least 1 goal, you find 4 of them are Freshman. Don't know if any will make Freshman of the year in the AHA, but they could be a big difference for RIT this season.

Look, You Need to Do Better: Hard to find one in a 4-0 win, but I got it. Corner Crew you completely missed the referee take a tumble over some debris on the ice. He went spinning down and one notice. Now Puck was in the opposite corner and he was at center but still with that many someone should notice

Good Move Wayne: Maybe luck, or maybe putting things together on film, but the line of Andrew Petrucci, Bryson Traptow, Elijah Gonsalves 2 Goals, 4 Assists. Second time Bryson Traptow was on the best line for RIT. (Note, I missed the Colgate game thanks to ECC not starting a fall ball game on time )

WILSON!!!!!!!!! (Second-Guessing Wilson): The only real negative is RIT got out shot again, but only by 6 shots. Game was really even though.

Breathless: Shawn Cameron icing on the cake, PP Goal, brought the early returns on the PP to .333 or 1/3rd of the time, combined with PK, RIT Special Teams have accomplished their mission 2/3rds of the time. I guess we like the metric system, Matt Campbell will approve...

Next Shift Up: RIT heads out to an always tough place to play in Cadet Ice Arena in Colorado Springs for an odd Thursday/Friday game, guessing football is the reason. Air Force open up this past week against a good Arizona State team and dropped two games 3-0 and 5-2. They out shoot Arizona State 40-29 in that second game, only finding the back of the net twice. A split is always good, but more would keep this early season excitement going...
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Being outshot is frustrating, but I tend to expect that more in the non-conference games. I"m hoping we see the Tigers able to get more shots in on net as we turn to conference play.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        Being outshot is frustrating, but I tend to expect that more in the non-conference games. I"m hoping we see the Tigers able to get more shots in on net as we turn to conference play.
                        When your are 3-1, you can be picky on your wants
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

So I was browsing the USCHO page today and noticed that the Atlantic Hockey standings page is still using the old Standings format (W-L-T, with 2 for a win and 1 for a tie). They did approve a new standings format this year, didn't they? 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie after 5 on 5 OT, and one bonus point for a win in the 3 on 3 or shootout?

I only ask because the change in standings format really messes with my database that keeps track of winning percentage by senior class. I do have a work around to calculate a weighted winning percentage that treats every game played as equal, but it definitely is going to make the spreadsheet more complicated until the 2021-22 Senior Class graduates.

Comment

It's on the list to get updated. With the site relaunch, the staffer in charge of it has not had the opportunity yet.

Comment

It's on the list to get updated. With the site relaunch, the staffer in charge of it has not had the opportunity yet.
                              I had a couple of free minutes so I jumped in and made the update, so it's correct now.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                                Yes, but the shots are going in! Over the last few seasons, RIT tended to pepper the net, but got little puck luck. I'd rather 22 SOG with 4 goals than 40 SOG with 1 goal.

Looking forward to the tilt between RIT and AFA tonight.
                                RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Working...
                                X