Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

UMD and Denver skate to a 3-3 tie - which in the NCHC means a 3x3 OT period and a shootout to determine a winner and an extra point in the standings.

Another reminder that 3x3 OT is an absolute treat. Especially between two highly skilled teams who can roll out elite talent for all five minutes. Itís just up and down, chance after chance and I love it...

Not sure how it would be perceived by HE fans of adopted - and Iím not sure Iíd love it if it involved UNH (i.e. a team I really rooted for and itís fate) - but man is it a fun display of open ice skating and skill...

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    UMD and Denver skate to a 3-3 tie - which in the NCHC means a 3x3 OT period and a shootout to determine a winner and an extra point in the standings.

Another reminder that 3x3 OT is an absolute treat. Especially between two highly skilled teams who can roll out elite talent for all five minutes. Itís just up and down, chance after chance and I love it...

Not sure how it would be perceived by HE fans of adopted - and Iím not sure Iíd love it if it involved UNH (i.e. a team I really rooted for and itís fate) - but man is it a fun display of open ice skating and skill...
    Last night 3 of the 4 HE games that went to OT ended up in a tie...I'd be happy with a tie tomorrow...but would be open to 3 on 3 if I'm being totally honest?

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Last night 3 of the 4 HE games that went to OT ended up in a tie...I'd be happy with a tie tomorrow...but would be open to 3 on 3 if I'm being totally honest?
    Cats would always win 3 on 3 in OT with Gildon. :-)

Seasoned Veteran

Count me down in favor of the NCHC OT format!

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    Langway also played linebacker on a post season qualifying UNH football team. Hard to believe i actually saw those games, but the wheel does turn doesn't it ....
    I had the pleasure of watching Langway play football and hockey at UNH. He was a special athlete!

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Terrific extended discussion about the history of top UNH defensemen, and (apologies if I'm repeating myself) I think it really highlights where UNH has tended to come up short in the past. Even looking back at the great teams at the turn of the century, the ones that almost made it Ö it's notable they had guys like Filipowicz and later Stafford heading up those teams. Very good at the D-1 level, but not great (I'm pretty sure neither ever made All HE First Team?) - ditto Todd Hall or Tim Murray, who enjoyed strong but not great careers, and were well-rounded guys who were about the best their teams had going for them at the back. Tim Murray always gets a bonus point for (not what you might think) Ö setting up Bogey for the 2OT GWG in the Snively finale in the '94 HE Quarterfinals to advance against BC.

It's too bad we couldn't graft the best of the current D-crew, or the one we had approx. 5 years ago, onto any one of those four FF teams a generation ago. Say what you will about Coach Umile's post-season patterns, etc. Ö and maybe he AND his legendary mentor/predecessor Charlie Holt both tended to focus recruiting on the talented guys they always found up front Ö in the end, an upgrade (even slight) at the back for even a half-dozen Holt/Umile teams could (should) have made the difference, at least once.

It will be interesting to see if MS7 and his guys can keep bringing in the Gildon, Wyse and Maass types, and whether that can be matched up front, as well as in goal. Robinson has panned out well after a slow start, not sure he was an MS7 guy though? And what to make of Ty Taylor's slow start?? Robinson 2.0 perhaps??? Will be one of the many interesting things to monitor as we watch the MS7 Era unfold in the coming seasons.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Terrific extended discussion about the history of top UNH defensemen, and (apologies if I'm repeating myself) I think it really highlights where UNH has tended to come up short in the past. Even looking back at the great teams at the turn of the century, the ones that almost made it … it's notable they had guys like Filipowicz and later Stafford heading up those teams. Very good at the D-1 level, but not great (I'm pretty sure neither ever made All HE First Team?) - ditto Todd Hall or Tim Murray, who enjoyed strong but not great careers, and were well-rounded guys who were about the best their teams had going for them at the back. Tim Murray always gets a bonus point for (not what you might think) … setting up Bogey for the 2OT GWG in the Snively finale in the '94 HE Quarterfinals to advance against BC.

It's too bad we couldn't graft the best of the current D-crew, or the one we had approx. 5 years ago, onto any one of those four FF teams a generation ago. Say what you will about Coach Umile's post-season patterns, etc. … and maybe he AND his legendary mentor/predecessor Charlie Holt both tended to focus recruiting on the talented guys they always found up front … in the end, an upgrade (even slight) at the back for even a half-dozen Holt/Umile teams could (should) have made the difference, at least once.

It will be interesting to see if MS7 and his guys can keep bringing in the Gildon, Wyse and Maass types, and whether that can be matched up front, as well as in goal. Robinson has panned out well after a slow start, not sure he was an MS7 guy though? And what to make of Ty Taylor's slow start?? Robinson 2.0 perhaps??? Will be one of the many interesting things to monitor as we watch the MS7 Era unfold in the coming seasons.
    Sources tell me that Robinson committed in 14...Souza joined the staff in 15. Why does that matter just curious. We expect Souza's team to recruit a goalie this season?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-09-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Also, maybe someone can find some stats on Dude Thorn, who played forward for the Cats around when Snively Arena opened.
    1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 11 7 18 x Freshmen
    1963-64 U.New Hampshire 20 16 9 25 x NCAA
    1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 14 8 22 x ECAC-II
    1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 35 18 53 24 ECAC-II

Brad Houston
    1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 10 12 22 x Freshmen
    1963-64 U.New Hampshire x 11 8 19 x NCAA
    1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 13 19 32 x ECAC-II
    1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 11 25 36 71 ECAC-II

Clark-Hislop-Cox

"UNH Power Play - #1 in the Nation"
    Includes video highlights of all 10 UNH power plays goals this season

Quote Originally Posted by C-H-C View Post
    "UNH Power Play - #1 in the Nation"
    Includes video highlights of all 10 UNH power plays goals this season
    Excellent compilation of our PP success thanks for posting!!! GO 'CATS!!
    Let's Go SouzaCats!

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 11 7 18 x Freshmen
    1963-64 U.New Hampshire 20 16 9 25 x NCAA
    1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 14 8 22 x ECAC-II
    1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 35 18 53 24 ECAC-II

Brad Houston
    1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 10 12 22 x Freshmen
    1963-64 U.New Hampshire x 11 8 19 x NCAA
    1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 13 19 32 x ECAC-II
    1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 11 25 36 71 ECAC-II
    Excellent! Many thanks, Watcher! :-)

Their first two years were played in the outdoor Batchelder Rink, which had a footprint partially underneath Snively, but not sure where they played the year Snively was under construction, although perhaps Snively went up fast enough so they played their third year in Batchelder also.

Chuck, I think you are giving too much credit to Murray on Bogie's final goal in Snively, and I know that we have gone over this point before. Wish that someone could produce a film clip of that one. Watcher?

Yandle in The Wind

Had the (dis)pleasure of driving down to Harrisonburg today. Good ďgame experienceĒ, horrible game. Which we sort of expected. Hope we end the UNH Athletics weekend on a high note.

Yandle in The Wind
    Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching Langway play football and hockey at UNH. He was a special athlete!
    I had the pleasure of having him be my first professional sports autograph, following a slow-pitch softball league game in Rochester.

Sounds like heís had a rough patch since retirement. There was an article in the Washington Post in the early 90ís that sort of foreshadowed tough times to come.

Nice little barn here in NoDak...

Nice little barn here in NoDak...
    Full house?

Any talk of narrowing the width of the rink?

EDIT: Oops, I see that Engelstad is already 85 ft width. Make the Whitt Great Again! Make the Whitt like Engelstad! Just kidding. :-)
    Last edited by Snively65; 11-09-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Chuck, I think you are giving too much credit to Murray on Bogie's final goal in Snively, and I know that we have gone over this point before. Wish that someone could produce a film clip of that one. Watcher?
    Happy to be proven wrong if that's the real take … my recollection has always been that Murray (no immediate relation BTW) made a play moving up the left wing boards, and chipped the puck across to the front, where Bogey crashed it in from close range to close the old barn in style (for hockey anyway; I think they had a concert or two afterwards?). BC was coached at the time by Steve "Count" Cedorchuk, who got his nickname for infamously losing track of how many scholarships he had committed to at some point during his ill-fated two years in charge. That was his last game in charge at BC as well IIRC.

I'm pretty sure the game was on NESN that night, but we were there - all three of us at the time, for the first time (our youngest would arrive in mid-1995). That was our eldest's first game, and she is now almost 30, teaches HS English at her alma mater, and was down for the count by the time the first OT was finished. I think the GWG produced a sound that was loud enough to wake her up (ever so briefly). She was 4 years old then. She'd also fall asleep 5 years later in Worcester a few minutes before Darren Haydar won that one in OT to send the 'Cats back to the FF. Kid had quite the knack of sleeping through history.

I'd really love to see a clip of the '94 Snively finale, just for old times' sake, regardless whether I've remembered correctly or not.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Full house?
    No, not close. Maybe 2/3 full. North Dakota hasnít been North Dakota the last few years - thatís probably a factor. If they keep winning crowds will probably fill up a bit. Miami is also not going to draw out the fan base like a Denver, UMD or Minnesota either, Iíd guess...

Lastly, tickets are really expensive. Cheapest seat in the back row of the upper deck was around 45 dollars at face value. They use Ticketmaster too so with fees tickets were closer to 60 a pop. Oddly enough I was able to get a ticket ten rows off the ice for the same price as the back row ticket (so thatís something) but 60 bucks to even get in the building is wild for college hockey. Makes those GA seats at the Whitt seem like a bargain...

The rink absolutely lives up to its reputation for opulence and luxury though. It is an impressive building. Really itís a pro building in nearly every way. Miami hung tough - but went down, 5-4...

Two great posts just above for late on a Saturday night! :-)

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatdc View Post
    I had the pleasure of having him be my first professional sports autograph, following a slow-pitch softball league game in Rochester.

Sounds like heís had a rough patch since retirement. There was an article in the Washington Post in the early 90ís that sort of foreshadowed tough times to come.
    Good for you on the card. I have one of his cards stashed away. The one and only autographed card I have is a John LeClair(of UVM fame!) card.

Quote Originally Posted by e.cat View Post
    The one and only autographed card I have is a John LeClair(of UVM fame!) card.
    Almost UNHer. Kullen thought we would get him after we beat Vermont that year but he still chose the hometeam over us.

Thread Information