Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Sorry about bringing facts into this At least shots correllate to winning. Not like faceoff wins that everyone gets so excited about/complains about, but that correllate to wins only 50.3%, i.e., statistically insignificant.
    That’s an interesting stat! It was just tough to watch us lose face-offs time and again in their zone. Frustrating. Especially at times when we had them on their heels. Killed momentum on several occasions.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
      #11 RPI, #13 coaches poll and on the rise!
      Quietly becoming the consistently top program at UNH? Would be nice to go deep in the NCAA’s this year, and then get to finishing off the field. I know they’re tired of playing on the football field.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Re faceoff stats...while I wouldn't deign to debate most hockey stats with you guys here I do feel face offs matter...because they lead to one thing that's beneficial and that's possession. Thinking of last season when Charlie K won a pivotal faceoff that Naz potted the OT win V Maine.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          That’s an interesting stat! It was just tough to watch us lose face-offs time and again in their zone. Frustrating. Especially at times when we had them on their heels. Killed momentum on several occasions.
          https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/02/il...ce-nhl-faceoff
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Thanks - that’s helpful. Again, i’m not ascribing the W/L/T to it....I’m simply reacting to watching us on many occasions pressure them in their end (or watch Miami ice it under pressure), then have the face-off in their end, and lose the face-off only to see them clear the zone. Seemed to happen too often this weekend.

Comment

Oh, I understand that for individual faceoffs, especially late in a game, it can be important. I'm just complaining about old school coaches who talk about how good a player is at faceoffs, to the exclusion of their overall game (or the coach's strategy of handing possession of the puck to the other side by dumping and chasing).
              Basically, get skilled guys who can get possession during the hundreds of free pucks during the play, rather than over-emphasizing one individual type of possession that the stats suggest is not correlate to winning games.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Oh, I understand that for individual faceoffs, especially late in a game, it can be important. I'm just complaining about old school coaches who talk about how good a player is at faceoffs, to the exclusion of their overall game (or the coach's strategy of handing possession of the puck to the other side by dumping and chasing).
                Basically, get skilled guys who can get possession during the hundreds of free pucks during the play, rather than over-emphasizing one individual type of possession that the stats suggest is not correlate to winning games.
                With you Watcher. You watch enough NHL and you’ll see that the guy who wins the offensive/defensive zone face off doesn’t necessarily give his team control of the puck. Now it’s probably different in college which is why on the puck skills are so important.

Comment

Strongest statistical indicators your team will win a game:

(1) Scoring the first goal, playing with a lead, setting the tone for everything else that follows;

(2) Quality scoring chances (with "quality" being highly subjective);

(3) Attacking zone possession;

(4) Shots on goal (i.e. not all shots are equal, in quality or circumstance-wise);

(T-97) Most talented pep band;
                  (T-97) Prettiest cheerleaders;

(99) Faceoff wins

OK - maybe an exaggeration at the end … but not by much. More basically, if your team is more talented, and they play with the necessary application and focus, those qualities trump all else. But there's no way to truly measure talent data-wise without highly subjective methods, so I'm just gonna have to stick with the above.

Give me the first goal, and you can have the rest. Not foolproof or perfect, but better than all the others.
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Interesting how things gravitate to SOG on UNH threads. Not coincidentally, UNH won the SOG Friday night and won the game and lost the SOG Saturday night and lost the game. Go figure! Why am left feeling UNH took their feet off the pedal in the third Saturday?
                    Last edited by e.cat; 10-13-2019, 05:57 PM.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Interesting how things gravitate to SOG on UNH threads. Not coincidentally, UNH won the SOG Friday night and won the game and lost the SOG Saturday night and lost the game. Go figure! Why am left feeling UNH took their feet off the pedal in the third Saturday?
                      Will be interesting to see how Souza talks about the weekend his weekly presser. Regardless I'll take the 3 points on the road. Beats how we did last season. That said cant be losing a 3 goal lead but that's hockey for ya!!

Frosh are getting their feet wet in these early games and the schedule is only gonna get tougher. Onto the Bentley boys..
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Will be interesting to see how Souza talks about the weekend his weekly presser. Regardless I'll take the 3 points on the road. Beats how we did last season. That said cant be losing a 3 goal lead but that's hockey for ya!!

Frosh are getting their feet wet in these early games and the schedule is only gonna get tougher. Onto the Bentley boys..
                        Agree. Look forward to the presser. On to Waltham;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Nah, we’re on to a new and more inane topic. Face-offs. I’m just waiting for the reductio ad absurdum contrarian argument of “we should look to lose face-offs, because they don’t matter”.

I know that ‘Watcher gets that nobody on this thread was suggesting correlation. I personally was expressing a distaste losing face-offs and possession, especially in our offensive zone. Perhaps I’m insane, and it should be our new killer strategy? 😁

Okay, I’m done with that topic. Any Bentley insights?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Interesting how things gravitate to SOG on UNH threads. Not coincidentally, UNH won the SOG Friday night and won the game and lost the SOG Saturday night and tied the game. Go figure! Why am left feeling UNH took their feet off the pedal in the third Saturday?
                            Fixed your post there. But yeah, I agree 100%, overall it did feel like a loss.

Comment

More surprising non-occurrence this past weekend:

(1) Ty Taylor not getting a start in the second game; or
                              (2) Justin Fregona not dressing in either of the games?

Should we expect either/both of these guys to see action against Bentley next weekend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Fixed your post there. But yeah, I agree 100%, overall it did feel like a loss.
                                Thanks Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X