Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Agreed; anything less than a sweep of Wolverines at home unacceptable. Need wins, not ties, or I am doomed in the pre-season win total over/under contest. I might as well raise the white flag in my picking the over on the 89 season goals over/under contest (where did I get that 89 number, anyway?).

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Agreed; anything less than a sweep of Wolverines at home unacceptable. Need wins, not ties, or I am doomed in the pre-season win total over/under contest. I might as well raise the white flag in my picking the over on the 89 season goals over/under contest (where did I get that 89 number, anyway?).
      I’m guessing you’re wondering if they’ll match or exceed last season’s total of 90, or not...

Bad weekend aside, I’m still on the over. Ninety goals over 34 regular season and two playoff games is just 2.5 G/GM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Thought it was interesting, seeing UMaine celebrating so enthusiastically. Then again, in moments like that, it's hard not to get excited, and if UNH had done the same to them, at the Whitt, I'm sure they'd have been pretty pumped. If nothing else, it shows the hunger exists there (as it does here) for a return to the big time. Maybe we can let someone else be "Champs of November".
        As bad as Maine has been the last 6 years sweeping anyone is cause for celebration. The fans will even takes champs of November .
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• To score goals ya gotta have those "natural goal scorers" and those who make plays. Surely we have the talent to do that? For me it was players Goumas and most notably TyK.

If MI is as bad as Dan and Greg say they are then I would expect some points on the board this coming weekend. Whatever the issue is I believe we can figure it out. GO 'CATS!!!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            As bad as Maine has been the last 6 years sweeping anyone is cause for celebration. The fans will even takes champs of November .
            Good to see you on here, Wally. It's been awhile.

It's funny … back in the old days, if UNH had celebrated any win(s) like that on their home ice in November, the razzing for the "Champs of November" behavior would have been ruthless - and rightfully so, I might add. I can't even conceive of a Walshy team taking a victory lap or two after a regular season game. But there it was, last night, in living color at Alfond Arena. My, how times have changed.

I guess, which then begs the question … if UNH-UMaine is going to be viewed by both schools as this huge rivalry game … why are those games being played before Thanksgiving?

Maybe the new commissioner will figure out a way to capitalize better on what should be true "rivalry" games, which frankly is only one of dozens of things the outgoing guy never quite figured out. Just because The Beanpot (and its late-season timing) arguably neuters chances of piling on more BC v. BU v. Northeastern RS games down the stretch run, doesn't mean HE should ignore other rivalries in the league that would be better-positioned with some added meaning/importance down the stretch? I can't be the only one who would like to be seeing a regular late RS diet of UNH/UMaine/UVM games, no? Ditto, why not the Merrimack/UML/UMA grouping? UConn/UMA/Providence?? Or even post-Beanpot match-ups between the Boston schools?

It's just crazy, if the UNH-UMaine "rivalry" thing is anywhere near legit, why be playing it this soon? Crazy ...

Otherwise. just annoyed how last night's game ended. Any post-game comments from MS7?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

According to my calculations, since 1984, UNH is 16-31-8 in games played up in Orono including 8 weekend sweeps by Maine. It is no surprise to me that UNH got swept up there this weekend. It's just a tough place to play on the road and not a cause for major concern IMHO. It's disappointing for sure especially since UNH should have won that game last night.

On to Michigan!

PS. I agree with Chuck that the scheduling of these games needs to be looked at. I particularly do no like the back to back games on one or the other campus.
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

It's funny … back in the old days, if UNH had celebrated any win(s) like that on their home ice in November, the razzing for the "Champs of November" behavior would have been ruthless - and rightfully so, I might add. I can't even conceive of a Walshy team taking a victory lap or two after a regular season game. But there it was, last night, in living color at Alfond Arena. My, how times have changed.

I guess, which then begs the question … if UNH-UMaine is going to be viewed by both schools as this huge rivalry game … why are those games being played before Thanksgiving?

Maybe the new commissioner will figure out a way to capitalize better on what should be true "rivalry" games, which frankly is only one of dozens of things the outgoing guy never quite figured out. Just because The Beanpot (and its late-season timing) arguably neuters chances of piling on more BC v. BU v. Northeastern RS games down the stretch run, doesn't mean HE should ignore other rivalries in the league that would be better-positioned with some added meaning/importance down the stretch? I can't be the only one who would like to be seeing a regular late RS diet of UNH/UMaine/UVM games, no? Ditto, why not the Merrimack/UML/UMA grouping? UConn/UMA/Providence?? Or even post-Beanpot match-ups between the Boston schools?

It's just crazy, if the UNH-UMaine "rivalry" thing is anywhere near legit, why be playing it this soon? Crazy ...

Otherwise. just annoyed how last night's game ended. Any post-game comments from MS7?
                Bangor Daily News ran a quick story but no comments from either coach. Looking forward to the Wednesday presser.

On another note even with the lack of.scoring I was impressed with a couple of 3rd line players who are so close to knocking on the door. And I think we will find Engaras to make things happen too!! Still lots of hockey to play GO 'CATS!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  According to my calculations, since 1984, UNH is 16-31-8 in games played up in Orono including 8 weekend sweeps by Maine. It is no surprise to me that UNH got swept up there this weekend. It's just a tough place to play on the road and not a cause for major concern IMHO. It's disappointing for sure especially since UNH should have won that game last night.

On to Michigan!

PS. I agree with Chuck that the scheduling of these games needs to be looked at. I particularly do no like the back to back games on one or the other campus.
                  That's a great outlook sir!! I read that Maine owns a winning record over UNH overall. Playing up there is a challenge for any team. Think it was 5 years or so ago that Maine won all/most of their home games but lost most / many of their games on the road? (If I have that right)

Having been to all HE arenas (with the exception of when NICC was in the league) there's "no place like Alfond Arena". Would agree the scheduling of these games was too early so maybe next year its different.. GO 'CATS!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Last two years all games with Maine in January and February, along with the MBPBEGAM sweep by Bears in Orono.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Bangor Daily News ran a quick story but no comments from either coach. Looking forward to the Wednesday presser.

On another note even with the lack of.scoring I was impressed with a couple of 3rd line players who are so close to knocking on the door. And I think we will find Engaras to make things happen too!! Still lots of hockey to play GO 'CATS!!
                      Bangor daily must have revised it since it has quotes from Souza and Wyse now... along with Maine players and Gendron.
                      https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/16/sports/umaine-sports/umaine-hockey-team-scores-late-to-tie-it-beats-new-hampshire-in-overtime/?amp=1

Comment

Long ride home last night. Painful gawdawful way to lose that still hurts this morning.

The Pierson injury made for some interesting line juggling: https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/box...p?mmneunh1.n16

I missed the beginning. Did Sato, Sacco, MacA, Verrier, Maass really start?
                        Last edited by Darius; 11-17-2019, 10:51 AM.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Long ride home last night. Painful gawdawful way to lose that still hurts this morning.

The Pierson injury made for some interesting line juggling: https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/box...p?mmneunh1.n16

I missed the beginning. Did Sato, Sacco, MacA, Verrier, Maass really start?
                          Yup....and I'm still up here and it still hurts 🙄
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Yup....and I'm still up here and it still hurts 🙄
                            Long ride for the team, not me thankfully. Watching that in person would have put me in a funk until Thursday.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, BlackI …

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/...vertime/?amp=1

Interesting comments from Shea on the game-winner, which would seem to confirm my comments about him taking advantage of some momentary defensive inattention that ultimately cost UNH the contest. Also, refreshing to see the captain stepping up and taking the blame for his ill-fated penalty.

Such a shame … even if the offense isn't/wasn't clicking, the overall team defense was pretty solid for the first 57+ minutes, as even the UMaine announcers on NESN+ last night were commenting throughout how while UMaine was amassing more shots, it wasn't as if many (if any) of them were high quality, unopposed chances. Should have been a perfect road performance for a W, but it just goes to show what can happen when a program that's still re-learning how to be a winning program can drop their collective guard for a few precious seconds, at the wrong time, and first it costs you the W, and then it costs you a T.

Bummer. But if they take this experience on board, apply it and learn from it in the coming weeks, it's all good in the long run. It'll be interesting to see if UMaine uses this as a springboard to an unexpectedly strong season, or if this turns out to be a false dawn (again). Seven (7) road games coming up should tell us a lot about them and their prospects for the rest of the season too.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

FWIIW, UNH 29th and Michigan 37th in PWR, and we beat UMass-Flagship, which is 15th PWR.

Comment

Working...
                                X