X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.59: It Was a Great Phone Call

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    IIRC, they lost a lot of their experienced pilots and had to go to new guys, right? Plus, losing more carriers as time went on gave them less to work with.
    Yes, they lost everybody of value in the first half of the war. Meanwhile, the RAF was picking up great pilots from all the nations the Germans had occupied, so they only got stronger, and of course the US was perfecting industrialization of military labor and began churning out technically proficient pilots from farm boys in the span of about 7 months. We won the war with clipboards.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Thankfully Goering had the same military leadership skills as Sniffles.
      I've read (no idea whether it's true) that there has been a reevaluation of Goering as a military strategist and he's now consider better than cromulent.

Goering's issue was in the political sphere where a lot of his activity was counter-productive for the greater German effort. IIRC it was Goering who used bureaucratic skullduggery to destroy the German hardwater program in order to divert the resources back to his projects. And of course Goering's hard core political attacks on Jews in science academia resulted in all of the following being lost from the German side to the Allied side:

Hans Bethe, Felix Bloch, Max Born, Albert Einstein, James Franck, Fritz Haber, Erwin Schrödinger.

As in, holy sh-t!
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Some comic relief

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I've read (no idea whether it's true) that there has been a reevaluation of Goering as a military strategist and he's now consider better than cromulent.

Goering's issue was in the political sphere where a lot of his activity was counter-productive for the greater German effort. IIRC it was Goering who used bureaucratic skullduggery to destroy the German hardwater program in order to divert the resources back to his projects. And of course Goering's hard core political attacks on Jews in science academia resulted in all of the following being lost from the German side to the Allied side:

Hans Bethe, Felix Bloch, Max Born, Albert Einstein, James Franck, Fritz Haber, Erwin Schrödinger.

As in, holy sh-t!
          He told Hitler he could bring the British to the peace table through air power alone. And he might have been right except his plans were terrible. There was no strategy to his attacks on the island. They were scattered, had little practical effects and destroyed the morale of his pilots. If his attacks were concentrated with hundreds of bombers attacking a single city it could have been devastating. Instead some were sent to London, some to Liverpool, some to Birmingham etc. The smaller attacks were much less effective. One historian says when you look at the combined force thrown against England in the summer and fall of 1940 vs what the Luftwaffe accomplished it is one of the greatest military failures ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As in, holy sh-t!
            How many Solvay attendees were chased out of their country or even Europe between WWI and WWII?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

For a great look at WW2 week by week check out Time Ghost on YouTube. The host is Indy Neidell, who hosted The Great War week by week on that channel.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                How many Solvay attendees were chased out of their country or even Europe between WWI and WWII?
                Enough.
                Cornell University

Comment

It finally happened. He sh-t or p-ssed himself on tv.

Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    He told Hitler he could bring the British to the peace table through air power alone. And he might have been right except his plans were terrible. There was no strategy to his attacks on the island. They were scattered, had little practical effects and destroyed the morale of his pilots. If his attacks were concentrated with hundreds of bombers attacking a single city it could have been devastating. Instead some were sent to London, some to Liverpool, some to Birmingham etc. The smaller attacks were much less effective. One historian says when you look at the combined force thrown against England in the summer and fall of 1940 vs what the Luftwaffe accomplished it is one of the greatest military failures ever.
                    At first they did focus well on the industrial and military points, but over time got distracted to go for the big psychological targets. In the end that left the RAF with what they needed to hold out and bring the air war to Germany itself. Had the Germans stuck with their plan it very well could have worked, but as you point out they vastly misplaced their energy.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

This may shock you, but the administration did no vetting whatsoever to determine if Doral can handle a G7 summit: https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/stat...70760449863685

Of course, that only matters if you plan on paying the town for police and security.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

BREAKING: President Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, asked the State Department and White House to grant a visa to the former Ukrainian prosecutor who Joe Biden wanted removed when he was vice president, a career diplomat reportedly told Congress this week during closed-door testimony.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          This may shock you, but the administration did no vetting whatsoever to determine if Doral can handle a G7 summit: https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/stat...70760449863685

Of course, that only matters if you plan on paying the town for police and security.
                          It can handle a golf tournament. Close enough.

Comment

Before the Sniffles rally in Dallas last night the arena piped in some music to pump up the crowd. Among the hits: YMCA by the Village People.

No, really.

Comment

Does anyone care?

JUST IN: Two officials with the Department of Housing and Urban Development acknowledged during a hearing this week that the agency knowingly stalled sending hurricane relief funding to Puerto Rico after missing a legally required deadline to do so after Hurricane Maria.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Does anyone care?

JUST IN: Two officials with the Department of Housing and Urban Development acknowledged during a hearing this week that the agency knowingly stalled sending hurricane relief funding to Puerto Rico after missing a legally required deadline to do so after Hurricane Maria.
                                ButObamaGaveIran500GajillionDollarsAndWhoCaresAbou tBrownPeople, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X