Dude SICK
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: USCHO Poster Poll: '19-'20

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Anyhow, that was the day that Sue taught Bobby Orr how to skate.
      Good story. I think that's the first time that I've seen a story where a T.C. woman taught someone to skate and her name was not Diane Ness.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Good story. I think that's the first time that I've seen a story where a T.C. woman taught someone to skate and her name was not Diane Ness.
        Sue truly was great with her students, and certainly deserved her celebrity moment. After moving away I fell out-of-touch with her, but to the best of my knowledge she didn't make teaching skating a career. So she wouldn't have been in "competition" with more noteworthy instructors.

Comment

Okay. I need to get back to the poll!

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          10. Harvard - Styx "The Grand Illusion"
          I don’t like the allusion to #10, but this Illusion is classic rock theater, beginning with the televangelist intro where the lectern becomes a stage keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2E-In0DDg

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            It's a very old story from back in the '70s.....

Anyhow, that was the day that Sue taught Bobby Orr how to skate.
            The story has to date back to the 1950's as Orr joined the Bruins for the 1966–67 season. I think he knew how to skate by then!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              The story has to date back to the 1950's as Orr joined the Bruins for the 1966–67 season. I think he knew how to skate by then!
              Well, if we're splitting hairs, "taught Bobby Orr how to teach skating" would be more accurate. But from a literary perspective, I thought my punch line had more punch.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                Allow me.
                Forgive me for revisiting this, but the forum did its job with its deletions, whether voluntarily by the parties involved or by fiat from on high. A simple acknowledgement of that from me would have sufficed. So the above is all that’s left of my original post, having come to regret not the what of it so much as the how. It doesn’t feel good after the fact to have countered a posted outrage with my own vituperation. What’s done is done, but I need to clear the air a bit.
                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-03-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I don’t like the allusion to #10
                  The rest of November's schedule for Harvard will tell a lot about "who" they are...

Who are you
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Who are you
                    Just an old enthusiast, enjoying the hell out of a game I’m still learning about from you all.

Comment

I'll add a celebrity story to the list that's already here although this did not happen to me. It happened to a Realtor from Kenora that I know. He told me the story about 20 years ago or so and it occurred 2 or 3 years before that.

Winter, who knows?...25-30 below?, he's out on his snowmobile on Lake of the Woods heading home with night falling, as I recall. Off in the distance he noticed another snowmobile and although their paths weren't going to cross or pass each other the distance between them decreased to the point that he noticed that there was a couple on the other snowmobile and that they were trying to flag him down, waving their arms trying to get his attention. He altered course and headed over to them. When he got to them he asked them what the problem was and how he could help. They told him that they were staying at cottage on the lake (possibly on an island) and that they had gone out on the snowmobile and were wanting to head back but had gotten disoriented and were lost. They had no idea where they were.

He asked them where they were staying. They tried to explain, in vain. He then asked them who the owner was of the cottage that they were staying at and they told him. Turned out the Realtor knew the owner (might have been one of his clients), he told them so and that he knew where the cottage was. The couple asked him for directions. He told them that he could give them directions but that it was complicated due to all the islands and that the safest solution was for them to follow him back to the cottage where they were staying...he had the time and was willing to do that for them.

So, off the two snowmobiles went.

When they arrived at their destination the couple, out of gratitude, invited the Realtor in to the cottage for some hot chocolate. He accepted their invitation.

When they got inside and the head gear came off he realized that the couple whom he had just rescued from a freezing night on Lake of the Woods was Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.

At the time they were apparently contemplating buying a cottage on LOW and that was one of the reasons that they were staying there at the time...checking things out.

Turns out they ended up buying in the Gravenhurst lakes district north of Toronto.

He's got a story to tell his grandchildren.

Comment

Forgive me for revisiting this, but the forum did its job with its deletions, whether voluntarily by the parties involved or by fiat from on high. A simple acknowledgement of that from me would have sufficed. So the above is all that’s left of my original post, having come to regret not the what of it so much as the how. It doesn’t feel good after the fact to have countered a posted outrage with my own vituperation. What’s done is done, but I need to clear the air a bit.
                        You're good.

Although I did have to modify one of my posts as a result. You can't have a transition sentence when there's nothing to transition from!

The thread now reads just fine. All is well.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                          I'll add a celebrity story to the list that's already here although this did not happen to me. It happened to a Realtor from Kenora that I know. He told me the story about 20 years ago or so and it occurred 2 or 3 years before that.

Winter, who knows?...25-30 below?
                          Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

Great story; thanks for posting.

Comment

The rest of November's schedule for Harvard will tell a lot about "who" they are...

Who are you
                            lol I completely missed that. I think you caught me hanging out with my ego. You’re right about Harvard. TBD the next few weeks, big time!

As for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_96uKZ7yQ

Comment

Questions about just how good they are?
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_3ks7-OjGc
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Questions about just how good they are?
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_3ks7-OjGc
                                Already "covered" by FHF, which is exactly what I missed.

Comment

Working...
                                X