Pff lol
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Re: USCHO Poster Poll: '19-'20

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        there should be time for a Weird Al Yankovic week.
        Time indeed...

1. Wisconsin - Gump
        2. Minnesota - It's All About the Pentiums
        3. Clarkson - Ebay
        4. Northeastern - Trapped In The Drive-Thru
        5. Princeton - Sports Song
        6. bc - Smells Like Nirvana
        7. Cornell - I Lost On Jeopardy
        8. UMD - I'll Sue Ya
        9. Ohio State - Amish Paradise
        10 Robert Morris - Bob

And some parting riffs for Thirdtime's... Mama Told Me Not To Come
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          And some parting riffs for Thirdtime's... Mama Told Me Not To Come
          Thx, great song. It's a good thing Mama didn’t know Weird Al!

Comment

This week's theme is Tim's request of 80's Hair Metal Bands...

1. Wisconsin - Who's The One
            2. Minnesota - More Than Words
            3. Northeastern - Nothin' But A Good Time
            4. Boston College - Don't Know What you've Got (Till It's Gone)
            5. Clarkson - What You Give
            6. Princeton - Here I Go Again
            7. Cornell - I Saw Red
            8. Robert Morris - We're Not Gonna Take It Any More
            9. Boston University - Livin' On A Prayer
            10. Ohio State - Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)

And the parting riffs provided by TDN...Out In The Country
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-22-2019, 01:02 PM. Reason: needs plural
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

This week's theme is Tim's request of 80 Hair Metal Bands...

7. Cornell - I Saw Red

Very clever. You’ve put UMD out in the country so now TDN=Two Dog Night.
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

1. Wisconsin
                2. Cornell
                3. Northeastern
                4. Minnesota
                5. Clarkson
                6. Princeton
                7. Boston College
                8. Ohio St
                9. Minnesota-Duluth
                10. Robert Morris

Comment

This week's theme is Tim's request of 80's Hair Metal Bands...

7. Cornell - I Saw Red

How did you remember that?

Trying to work some of my favorites bands in.....For MN I prefer Winger's "Head For A Heartbreak".
                  BC's could be Dokken's "Alone Again" but your choice is very good.
                  I can't find spot for a White Lion tune at the moment, but I should probably get back to work.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    BC's could be Dokken's "Alone Again" but your choice is very good.
                    (TOTALLY unrelated to hockey, so feel free to skip over; I thought Tim might be interested.)

When I moved to Los Angeles in the spring of 1983, I spent the first year or so living with a friend from high school in the back house on a two house lot in Redondo Beach. In the front house was a woman and her young daughter. The woman worked various jobs to make ends meet - waitress, etc, even as a stripper in a local club. (No, it wasn't a particularly 'bad' neighborhood.) And on occasion, she would have people over for parties, etc., sometimes late into the night and sometimes LOUD into the night, which was mildly annoying if we in the back house had to work in the morning. Loud because some of them were in a band that played in local South Bay clubs. I'm 'burying' the obvious lead; the band was Dokken. At that point they were somewhat known locally, but not yet known nationally? I was and am not at all a 'hair band' fan, so the name meant nothing to me at the time. IIRC, sometimes one or more of the band members were there baby-sitting the daughter. No idea who was who, don't remember the woman's name, and I just looked on Google street view and as best I can tell, the houses aren't there anymore. (Huntington Lane, a couple houses east of Flagler St, north side of street.)

You live in southern CA for any length of time, you have 'everyday' encounters with people of some level of fame or another. I have dozens of such exciting stories. :-)
                    Last edited by robertearle; 10-28-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      (TOTALLY unrelated to hockey, so feel free to skip over; I thought Tim might be interested.)

When I moved to Los Angeles in the spring of 1983, I spent the first year or so living with a friend from high school in the back house on a two house lot in Redondo Beach. In the front house was a woman and her young daughter. The woman worked various jobs to make ends meet - waitress, etc, even as a stripper in a local club. (No, it wasn't a particularly 'bad' neighborhood.) And on occasion, she would have people over for parties, etc., sometimes late into the night and sometimes LOUD into the night, which was mildly annoying if we in the back house had to work in the morning. Loud because some of them were in a band that played in local South Bay clubs. I'm 'burying' the obvious lead; the band was Dokken. At that point they were somewhat known locally, but not yet known nationally? I was and am not at all a 'hair band' fan, so the name meant nothing to me at the time. IIRC, sometimes one or more of the band members were there baby-sitting the daughter. No idea who was who, don't remember the woman's name, and I just looked on Google street view and as best I can tell, the houses aren't there anymore. (Huntington Lane, a couple houses east of Flagler St, north side of street.)

You live in southern CA for any length of time, you have 'everyday' encounters with people of some level of fame or another. I have dozens of such exciting stories. :-)
                      Cool story. 1981 was the release of their first album, in 83 they released the video for "Breaking The Chains", (an all time favorite of mine) so at that point they hadn't cracked the bigtime yet. 1984's Tooth & Nail album propelled them to stardom. I didn't really latch onto to them until 85, then worked my way backwards. I don't like that they get labeled a hair band because they were big before the big hair came into vogue.

I wouldn't mind hearing some more of your bump intos with the famous, very good reading.

Comment

I wouldn't mind hearing some more of your bump intos with the famous, very good reading.
                        My favorite music related one is probably one night in maybe 1987 or so, I was at a club called Madame Wong's West in Brentwood/Santa Monica. Wong's West - a former funeral parlor - had a big room upstairs that could hold a couple hundred people and a couple smaller rooms downstairs. I was there as much to see a group playing downstairs (who I loved those days) called The Wild Cards - Latin tinged jump blues/funk-ish; one CD in 1990 - as the 'name' band upstairs, The Knack. At that point, the Knack had been big, then broke up, and were trying to get back to being big again.

You got 'upstairs' by climbing this wide, sweeping half-circle of a staircase. At the top of the stairs outside the big room was a dry bar, and I was standing at that bar watching this poor roadie for the Knack make trip after trip up those stairs hauling amps, guitars, etc etc. There was a *really* good looking blonde doing what she could to help, but mostly the load fell to this one guy. He finally finishes, and walks over to the dry bar, right next to me, and says to the bartender "Gimme a Miller." Then he looks back over his shoulder at the blonde and says "Hey, Sharona, you want a beer? Make that two Millers."

This was way before the world learned that Sharona was a real person, so the bartender and I recreate the airport scene from 'Casablanca': startled, we both look at the roadie, then look back at Sharona, then look at each other, then look back at the roadie. "Two Millers, coming up."
                        Last edited by robertearle; 10-28-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Now THIS is a thread
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

My favorite music related one is probably one night in maybe 1987 or so, I was at a club called Madame Wong's West in Brentwood/Santa Monica. Wong's West - a former funeral parlor - had a big room upstairs that could hold a couple hundred people and a couple smaller rooms downstairs. I was there as much to see a group playing downstairs (who I loved those days) called The Wild Cards - Latin tinged jump blues/funk-ish; one CD in 1990 - as the 'name' band upstairs, The Knack. At that point, the Knack had been big, then broke up, and were trying to get back to being big again.

You got 'upstairs' by climbing this wide, sweeping half-circle of a staircase. At the top of the stairs outside the big room was a dry bar, and I was standing at that bar watching this poor roadie for the Knack make trip after trip up those stairs hauling amps, guitars, etc etc. There was a *really* good looking blonde doing what she could to help, but mostly the load fell to this one guy. He finally finishes, and walks over to the dry bar, right next to me, and says to the bartender "Gimme a Miller." Then he looks back over his shoulder at the blonde and says "Hey, Sharona, you want a beer? Make that two Millers."

This was way before the world learned that Sharona was a real person, so the bartender and I recreate the airport scene from 'Casablanca': startled, we both look at the roadie, then look back at Sharona, then look at each other, then look back at the roadie. "Two Millers, coming up."
                            We have just discovered...…..The World's Most Interesting Man. Real life is SO much better than fiction, you can't make this stuff up. Continue on....please.

Comment

We have just discovered...…..The World's Most Interesting Man. Real life is SO much better than fiction, you can't make this stuff up. Continue on....please.
                              One non-music favorite of mine, and then we'll just be annoying the others with non-hockey crap (and I was exaggerating, I don't really have dozens).

Thanksgiving weekend of, I think, 1984; a friend from college is coming out to see LA for the long weekend, and I'm going to pick him up at the airport. I know he's on American flight something-or-other, but as I drive into the LAX 'loop', I realize I have no idea which of the eight (!) terminal buildings American is in. And I'm already late. So I pull into the nearest parking ramp, throw some money into the meter, and hustle into (I think it was) Terminal 2, expecting masses of humanity. Instead, there is something like 40 yards of absolutely nobody. Way down at the very end, I see a single man behind the counter and a single woman talking to him. So I double-time it down to where they are. As I start to get close to them, I notice that the woman is Margot Kidder, recently 'Lois Lane' in a series of Superman films. As I reach them, a little breathlessly I say something like 'sorry to interrupt', and Kidder looks at me, sighs a bit and rolls her eyes. You can just see on her face that she's thinking "Here we go again...". I say to the guy behind the counter 'What terminal is American in?" He says "Six". I say thanks, turn heel, and hurry away, giving no indication whatsoever that I have even recognized her. Not to be rude or anything, but because I'm *really* running late.
                              Last edited by robertearle; 10-28-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

One non-music favorite of mine, and then we'll just be annoying the others with non-hockey crap (and I was exaggerating, I don't really have dozens).

Thanksgiving weekend of, I think, 1984; a friend from college is coming out to see LA for the long weekend, and I'm going to pick him up at the airport. I know he's on American flight something-or-other, but as I drive into the LAX 'loop', I realize I have no idea which of the eight (!) terminal buildings American is in. And I'm already late. So I pull into the nearest parking ramp, throw some money into the meter, and hustle into (I think it was) Terminal 2, expecting masses of humanity. Instead, there is something like 40 yards of absolutely nobody. Way down at the very end, I see a single man behind the counter and a single woman talking to him. So I double-time it down to where they are. As I start to get close to them, I notice that the woman is Margot Kidder, recently 'Lois Lane' in a series of Superman films. As I reach them, a little breathlessly I say something like 'sorry to interrupt', and Kidder looks at me, sighs a bit and rolls her eyes. You can just see on her face that she's thinking "Here we go again...". I say to the guy behind the counter 'What terminal is American in?" He says "Six". I say thanks, turn heel, and hurry away, giving no indication whatsoever that I have even recognized her. Not to be rude or anything, but because I'm *really* running late.

I could read these for a while. The World's Most Interesting Man, indeed!

Comment

Working...
                                X