Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

For the record, I have not lost faith in any part of the team, including Mitch Benson. He has just been the difference in too many wins and ties so far in his young career at Colgate. However, maybe it is time to rotate goalies, rather than relying on just one individual.

I enjoyed my first Silver Puck Club banquet, especially the talk by Pierre McGuire (French Canadian mother, Irish father). He stated that he saw Colgate games in Lowell and Providence in person, which is pretty kewl in my book. He also spoke to the subject of academics vs. athletics, and the strategy of some schools to go with the ‘one-n-done’ players. A thought-provoking, humorous, insightful and inspirational keynote address to say the least. Also a great video short, including footage from the 1989-90 glory days, which I had never seen before. And congrats again to John McGraw.

I will follow Colgate to the North Country next weekend, even logging in a new arena for me as Appleton renovation is not yet complete.

Finally, thanks ‘red’ for saying ‘hey’ at Saturday’s game. I enjoyed meeting you, as I have others from here.
    Go ‘Gate.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-10-2019, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      How could the loss get you a point? You mean the win over Yale??
      TchrBill has been almost always picking against Colgate in the ECAC Pick 'em contest for the past few years now. I'm thinking it's some sort of reverse psychology...
      Colgate '09

Comment

I am happy with the weekend. Seems odd to lose to brown but beat Yale but I will take it. And I’m talking another positive, we aren’t playing in Appleton where we always get beat. Clarkson seems like it should be a loss but with the way we play there anything is possible. And congrats to John Mcgraw on receiving the silver puck on Saturday, very well deserved

Comment

Anyone know what John McGraw is doing now?

Comment

I had the privilege to be seated with Joe Watson (former Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers defense man) and his son Ryan '98 at the Silver Puck Banquet. He had some great stories. When he was a Bruin, he roomed with Bobby Orr on the road. He remains good friends with Bobby today. On a different topic, I did not know that the Silver Puck Club is the oldest men's hockey support group in the country.

Congrats to John McGraw...….very well deserved honor.
            Go 'Gate!

Comment

It’s not reverse psychology...and you can never call me biased with my picks (loyal, yes). Our stats over the past decade speak for themselves: they are unimpressive, uninspiring, and there is no reason to assume any differently this season. Also predicting another sweep by Cornell in the most lopsided, one-sided rivalry ever. It is a joke.

The win v Yale was more luck and clinging-to-dear-life than skill but was thrilled for the win. And then we followed it up with our typical inconsistent play - at home - against Brown. I picked the Bears to win, hence my point in the contest. There was a time we had Clarkson’s number but I fear those days are over.
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I think we still have the best record at Cheel among ECAC teams. But on the flip side, our record at Appleton is atrocious. And guess what? We are NOT playing at Appleton tomorrow! We also get the ever-so-difficult North Country trip out of the way early this season! Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise?
                Colgate '09

Comment

Mitch Benson is in goal tonight against Saint Lawrence at SUNY Canton.

Comment

Colgate 14, Saint Lawrence 6, SOG after one.
                    SOG is a moving target here, though.
                    Saint Lawrence 1, Colgate 0, score after one.
                    2 pings off their pipes.
                    They kept banging away and got a goal.
                    But this game, so far, is a repeat of the Brown game.
                    Out-playing ‘em but being out-scored.
                    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-15-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Colgate 17, Saint Lawrence 13, SOG after two.
                      Colgate 2, Saint Lawrence 1, score after two.
                      To give credit where it’s due, Colgate came out strong and scored within the first two minutes of period two.
                      Our second goal was the result of their goalie giving up a rebound.
                      Our goals were scored by Vachon and Young, which is exciting.
                      Very entertaining game. Hopefully we’ll remain aggressive.
                      SLU’s 6’8” Junior forward Keenan Suthers has really come into his own.
                      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Colgate 24, Saint Lawrence 17, final SOG.
                        Colgate 4, Saint Lawrence 1, final score.
                        Bobby McMann got final two goals, behind-the-net and empty-net, after having two chances one-on-one earlier in the game.
                        Very good result. We played well, offensively and defensively.
                        Solid effort by Mitch.
                        On to renovated Cheel tomorrow night.

Comment

Is Colgate un-tied and un-defeated at any other hockey venue after D-1 competition, either in-conference or out-of-conference, in their entire history?

Comment

Strange question ? Where did that come from ? Answer is yes, believe we had TWO undefeated hockey teams in the 1940's, D1 though.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Shabby, wondering about undefeated in a particular arena.
                              We are now 1-0 at SUNY - Canton’s ‘Roo House.
                              And likely to stay that way permanently.

Comment

• Iowa, ask for a banner to be put up in Canton’s house.

On a serious note, 3-5-3 right now. Doesn’t look all that great but I think more than the final PWR number we want to see this team finish in the top 8 in the ECAC. The bottom 4 look awful right now so it is certainly possible maybe even a top 6. We aren’t going to finish in the top 14 in the PWR so I’m not too concerned about it right now, just beat the teams we are suppose to like SLU and maybe a few upsets and the rest will work itself out.

Mitch Benson currently ranked 24th in goalie save percentage is a plus. Biggest issue is still goals, 3 last night and an ENG to get 4. Only getting 1.69 right now is not good enough. Hopefully we can get this above 2.65 by years end to get us in the middle of the road. Go Gate

Comment

Working...
                                X