Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019 and Beyond: Something Something Three True Outcomes....

Bumgarner would reject the Dodgers. Regardless of pay. He seems old school and wants to keep his Giants legacy.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      Jon Heyman
      @JonHeyman
      Breaking: Gerrit Cole to Yankees. 9 years. 36M per. 324M total.
      Fantastic!!!!
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        The Twins overpay? Haha!

Even if they decided to do this for once, the Dodgers have shifted their focus to him now that Cole is off the market. The Dodgers looooooove to overpay people.
        Lots of $$$ needed to get a guy who has lived in California to leave there for Minnesota..
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Anthony Rendon to the Angels. 7 for $245
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Jesus. It's a wonder how teams even make money....
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              The league made like $10 billion last year. They can afford it.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                And then some
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Just to give you an idea: At cost, fountain pop + cup runs about 1.5 cents per ounce. You know, the same servings that they are charging $7 for... Now multiply that return on almost all the concession items you see and think about how much an average crowd of 20-25k people eats over the 4 hours they are in the park. Then do that 81 times/year.

Sports owners are not hurting under their current model. It's just a matter of when the bubble will burst...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Just to give you an idea: At cost, fountain pop + cup runs about 1.5 cents per ounce. You know, the same servings that they are charging $7 for... Now multiply that return on almost all the concession items you see and think about how much an average crowd of 20-25k people eats over the 4 hours they are in the park. Then do that 81 times/year.

Sports owners are not hurting under their current model. It's just a matter of when the bubble will burst...
                    Is that the the total cost at the point of consumption, including all contractors and employees who are part of the delivery chain?

Not questioning your basic point, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Is that the the total cost at the point of consumption, including all contractors and employees who are part of the delivery chain?

Not questioning your basic point, btw.
                      That doesn't include labor or the infrastructure needed to distribute (but this was likely already paid for in the stadium cost). Concession workers are slightly above minimum wage at best and are obviously part time, so not a ton of labor cost there. Teams will also have "volunteer" groups (schools, charities, youth sports/clubs,etc) work concession stands, thus earning them a small portion of the total revenue in exchange for free labor. So basically they are paying someone $10/hour to sell 100's of drinks at a profit rate above $4-5/drink.

Above the grunts working the stands, there are only a few managers running the entire show. The minor league team I worked for 10 years ago had 1 food/beverage manager and 2 interns running everything. An MLB level operation is 10-15 people working above grunt level. Also, the MLB teams will contract this out. This is where companies like Levi Restaurants and Amarak come in. They are bidding on the operation. So in reality, the MLB team is getting a predetermined, very profitable rate that is basically guaranteed.

Working that internship 10 years ago along with some other life experience I've come across has completely changed the way I look at the sports world. I still love it, but I also know how the sausage is made so to speak...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        538 ran an analysis a few years ago. Athletes are underpaid given the profit they generate for the league and its owners. In some sports, like basketball, they are massively underpaid. LeBron's fair market value salary is something like $1B per year.

Don't think of athletes as employees, think of them as investors. They have athletic capital to invest over a brief period. Time is their mortal enemy -- it's the equivalent of a sky high inflation rate continually eroding the exchange value of their capital. An injury is the equivalent of a market crash.

The owners have successfully managed to cast them as spoiled but nobody ever casts a capitalist as "spoiled" for getting the best ROI.

tl; dr: If the owners are hurting, sell. Odd that despite their supposedly perilous situation they almost never do.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Plus, I don't think people realize how much MLB made when they sold off their digital production subsidiary. I remember seeing a figure somewhere how much each team gets paid for that sale per year (I forget how many years they get paid). It's in the $100's of million range. Per team!
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            My wife said, "probably the Angels still won't make the playoffs."
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Working that internship 10 years ago along with some other life experience I've come across has completely changed the way I look at the sports world. I still love it, but I also know how the sausage is made so to speak...
                              My cousin once worked the concession stands at the U.S. Open (for tennis, probably back when it was still in Forest Hills) when he was in high school. Mind boggling the stories he told me. Makes you never want to buy food at a concession stand. Then again, talk to a restaurant worker, and you probably won't want to go out to eat anymore...
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                My cousin once worked the concession stands at the U.S. Open (for tennis, probably back when it was still in Forest Hills) when he was in high school. Mind boggling the stories he told me. Makes you never want to buy food at a concession stand. Then again, talk to a restaurant worker, and you probably won't want to go out to eat anymore...
                                I grew up within 12 miles of that stadium. To be fair, that area (Nassau County, NY) is ground zero for the most loathsome people on the planet. A planet that includes Marin County and wherever Dump is from.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X