UMD 2019-20 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD 2019-20 Season Thread

I think as fans, we all slant our observations to our point. If the D turn the puck over three times that result in scoring chances, we say, "The D were terrible; they couldn't make a pass and just threw the puck away." They may have broken out successfully 90 percent of the time, but what we remember are those glaring giveaways, especially if they wound up in our net. Four of the D might not have had any bad turnovers at all. Doesn't matter, they were terrible. If nothing else, they were wearing the same uniform as somebody who was.

The better the opponent, the more terrible our players get. Less time to react against the forecheck and a smaller window in which to complete a pass, but it doesn't matter, "We're terrible!"

We can just as easily go too far the other way. "We have six of the top ten forwards in the country!" No. There may be six top-line caliber forwards on the team, but other teams have those type of players, too.

I think that the Bulldogs and Buckeyes make for an interesting clash stylistically. IMO, OSU is as good as any team that I've seen at being at a territorial disadvantage but being ready to convert when there is a chance to counter. UMD is very similar in that it has players who are dangerous in transition, but they seem to do better when the scoring chances start to build on each other. When playing the Bulldogs, a fan starts to get an uneasy feeling, because you can sense disaster coming. With the Buckeyes, life seems good, and then it isn't. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, because Gabby Hughes seems perfectly capable of scoring at any moment when she's on the ice versus UM.

Anyway, Bulldogs/Gophers this weekend. I remember 15 to 20 years ago, when it just didn't get any bigger than that. A very small part of me misses that, but I certainly don't miss all of the animosity that went with it.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Kewpie Doll, but Yes. At the carnival 1 of 6 points is definitely a Kewpie Doll, not the Giant Panda.

Haha. "Kewpie", yes, well, I knew that I would be corrected on this...here's what happened. I typed "cupie" and then said to myself "wait a minute, that's not right, yes it is, no it's not, yes it is". I thought I'd better check, did so, and saw "kewpie". Then it came back to me and answered why I had defaulted to "cupie". When I was a kid that's the way it was spelled around here (just had to stop myself for a second with spelled vs spelt which is an interesting one) at the Ex (Exhibition) as we call it (Fair/carnival would be your equivalent). I decided to default to, well, the default local spelling from my younger days (not that its a word that one uses very often) knowing that you might....

I got a laugh during that brief mental exercise last night because it reminded me of seeing Jesse Ventura on Johnny Carson many years ago. Jesse used the word "havoc" and really stretched out the "o" as in "awe". Carson laughed at him and took him to task on it. Jesse wasn't too impressed and responded, while staring at Carson with a really stern look on his face, with "I don't know how you pronounce it here but that's how we pronounce it in Minnesota". His tone was extremely serious and Carson knew it and took it to be almost threatening so he backed off immediately while trying to make light of the whole incident. And then he quickly changed the subject. Haha.

A bit similar but definitely not the same as our exchange. I knowingly walked through that door waiting for the pie in the face. Just not sure if I was wanting coconut cream or banana cream. Either one would have been fine.
      As to the rest of your comments in no particular order:

1. I'm well aware of your "the glass is full" perspective and have been for years. All it took was reading two or three of your write ups back then for that to be obvious. Very admirable. For lack of a better analogy I often tend to lean towards the Vince Lombardi way of viewing things (can't believe I just said that). So, how we approach it is just different...at least, I think.

Your other explanations are well thought out and certainly understandable. I think I agree with most if not all of them. Your "Beautiful Game" analogy was perfect. Thanks for all that effort.

2. I don't think I saw the games in Columbus last year which is why the place looks freshly spiffed up to me. Looks really good, I thought, really good.

3. Your last two sentences were extremely perceptive...and I do mean extremely.

UMD's past glory/skill/tremendous offense/entertainment value etc., etc., are always lurking in the shadows whenever I watch them play regardless of who their opposition is. (I try to form my opinion of their play based on my opinion of the individual talent they may have as well as what I have seen with respect to how that individual talent translates into a team effort and then how consistent they are at achieving those positive performances (assuming they were positive)). I've made progress but have not yet been entirely successful.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I think that the Bulldogs and Buckeyes make for an interesting clash stylistically. IMO, OSU is as good as any team that I've seen at being at a territorial disadvantage but being ready to convert when there is a chance to counter. UMD is very similar in that it has players who are dangerous in transition, but they seem to do better when the scoring chances start to build on each other. When playing the Bulldogs, a fan starts to get an uneasy feeling, because you can sense disaster coming. With the Buckeyes, life seems good, and then it isn't. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this, because Gabby Hughes seems perfectly capable of scoring at any moment when she's on the ice versus UM.

Anyway, Bulldogs/Gophers this weekend. I remember 15 to 20 years ago, when it just didn't get any bigger than that. A very small part of me misses that, but I certainly don't miss all of the animosity that went with it.
        Excellent post with excellent observations throughout.

I couldn't agree more about "the life is good until it isn't" vs OSU and the impending sense of disaster vs UMD. I have felt the same way about these two teams for quite a while now but I don't know if I would have been able to put the perspective re: OSU into words. I could have for the 'Dogs because I often feel that I'm sitting on the edge of a cliff when watching them play waiting for that "disaster" to happen to the opposition when the UMD offense starts to click because you seem to be able to sense it just below the surface. And although this might be said of any other team ie: success breeds success, however one is defining success, it always seems to me that when the 'Dogs continually create offensive opportunities that their increased confidence and desire is almost palpable and their play noticeable improves.

But maybe I'd feel the same way about any other team that I was pulling for regularly.

The problem from my point of view is that when that dynamic started to become visible and obvious, especially in the 3rd period of the first game this weekend, it didn't translate into disaster for OSU. That's why they climbed back onto the bus with that 2 buck cupie doll.

I have felt that their offense, even though there has been enough talent there, has been consistently inconsistent since Stalder, Brykaliuk and McGovern.

And even though your interest in NCAA play predates mine by a few years I remember when the Big 3 raised the level of play of each other and how it never made much sense to me how UMD fairly consistently had UW's number, while UW fairly consistently had UM's number and while UM quite consistently had UMD's number...over the course of several seasons. Very strange over such a large sampling.

A different topic that I'd like your opinion on, and anybody else's who wants to wade in is this: It seems to me that in the last 8-10 years or so the overall quality of play/number of players with extraordinary ability and who put that ability on display consistently (in the WCHA and possibly the rest of the NCAA) has decreased rather noticeably. What do you think?
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-17-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          2. I don't think I saw the games in Columbus last year which is why the place looks freshly spiffed up to me. Looks really good, I thought, really good.
          Thanks for the compliment!
          That old barn opened in 1961 (I was there!) and housed the men's team until 1999.
          The university let it go to seed pretty bad and didn't seem to care it looked like a dump for the women's program, great for recruiting! One season the roof leaked so bad the water that dripped down was stained brown and bored brown holes everywhere in the ice! The polka dots were there all season as you would have had to take up the entire ice and they'd just come back again.
          Thankfully they decided to renovate and it really is the ideal size currently for the women's program but no real solution for the locker room situation. The visitors have to go down a flight of small narrow stair to the basement for their locker room and the Buckeyes across the breezeway into St.John Arena for theirs.
          After all that money being sunk into it they're considering tearing all the buildings down there including the rink for a new complex of buildings.

Comment

A different topic that I'd like your opinion on, and anybody else's who wants to wade in is this: It seems to me that in the last 8-10 years or so the overall quality of play/number of players with extraordinary ability and who put that ability on display consistently (in the WCHA and possibly the rest of the NCAA) has decreased rather noticeably. What do you think?
            My opinion is that there are a number of factors, some that support your contention and some that don't. I believe that it is harder for players to stand out offensively these days. Defensively, teams have improved. When I first started watching, there was such a difference in skating ability between the best players on the ice and those near the bottom of the line chart. It's tough to defend somebody that you can't catch. Defenses overall are also better at blocking shots and are very committed to doing so. Bemidji always seems to have a couple of D with an uncanny ability to get in the way of a shot.

When I used to watch teams shoot at the goalie in warmups, there were some players who would take shots that bounced twice before they reached the net. Now that average or slightly below player has a better shot than she did then. The best players could always snipe, but the role players have more skill than they once did.

What might support your point is that I think that the same broadening of the talent pool is happening at the prep level. So many HS teams skate three lines now. When I first watched HS hockey, it was a big line and a second line that could play some D. Krissy Wendell must have been on the ice around 80% of the time in HS. So she and players like her developed more than the rest and were able to dominate in the NCAA. Now, that ability is offset because minutes are more equitable in HS play and everyone has a chance to compete on offseason teams. More players are ready to play and contribute earlier in their college careers.

A shorter answer might be that the Grade A players are about the same as they always were. However, the B+ players are less able to separate from the pack than they once could.

I know that UND coach Brian Idalski shared your opinion. As girls' youth teams have improved and become more widespread, there are fewer girls who are playing hockey with boys for most of their youth careers.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There is a very strong tendency among those who reach middle age to decide that kids these days are markedly inferior to those they grew up with.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                The better the opponent, the more terrible our players get. Less time to react against the forecheck and a smaller window in which to complete a pass, but it doesn't matter, "We're terrible!"
                Very true, and very well put. I really don't understand why otherwise reasonable people turn into raving tyrants as fans. But regrettably it's commonplace.

Gabby Hughes seems perfectly capable of scoring at any moment when she's on the ice versus, well, anyone.
                FYP, with just one minor correction. I was very impressed with Gabby this weekend.

Haha. "Kewpie", yes, well, I knew that I would be corrected on this...here's what happened. I typed "cupie" and then said to myself "wait a minute, that's not right, yes it is, no it's not, yes it is". I thought I'd better check, did so, and saw "kewpie". Then it came back to me and answered why I had defaulted to "cupie". When I was a kid that's the way it was spelled around here (just had to stop myself for a second with spelled vs spelt which is an interesting one) at the Ex (Exhibition) as we call it (Fair/carnival would be your equivalent). I decided to default to, well, the default local spelling from my younger days (not that its a word that one uses very often) knowing that you might...
                So the rumour is that spelling can vary, depending on which side of the border you're on?

As for the Ex, if you're talking about the Ex in Toronto, I've been on the grounds. As I'm sure you recall, that's where the Hockey Hall of Fame used to be. Don't know if "Ontario Place" is still there, but as I recall they had some fun attractions for kids.

I am aware that the Exhibition is a National Event in Canada. But otherwise my sense was that it's quite comparable to Midwestern State Fairs. At many of the State Fairs, if you want to win your Panda (or Kewpie Doll), you try your luck on the Midway. That term may have originated at a Chicago World's Fair more than a century ago; I'm not really sure. Or maybe the term was borrowed from Europe. But at this point I believe it's a fairly common "Americanism."

I got a laugh during that brief mental exercise last night because it reminded me of seeing Jesse Ventura on Johnny Carson many years ago. Jesse used the word "havoc" and really stretched out the "o" as in "awe". Carson laughed at him and took him to task on it. Jesse wasn't too impressed and responded, while staring at Carson with a really stern look on his face, with "I don't know how you pronounce it here but that's how we pronounce it in Minnesota". His tone was extremely serious and Carson knew it and took it to be almost threatening so he backed off immediately while trying to make light of the whole incident. And then he quickly changed the subject. Haha.
                During the Governor Ventura years, a T-Shirt made the rounds that said "My Governor can beat up your Governor." Available at the MSP Airport, IIRC.
                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-18-2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Your other explanations are well thought out and certainly understandable. I think I agree with most if not all of them. Your "Beautiful Game" analogy was perfect. Thanks for all that effort.
                  Thank you for this, and the rest of your kind words. Must spread, so I have to thank you on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    As for the Ex, if you're talking about the Ex in Toronto, I've been on the grounds.
                    No, I was referring to the Red River Exhibition (everyone here calls it The Ex, for short). It's a travelling show/carnival with a large midway and entertainment. Sets up their stop here every year in the third week of June...and you can virtually count on it raining for the first day or two.

Reminds me of a story, decades ago I started working with a guy who told me one day that when he was younger he used to work at the Ex. When I asked him what he did there he told me that he worked at a burger stand frying the actual patties. He told me that on one back corner of the grill they kept some special patties covered and reserved for certain customers and on the limited occasions when they were served up they were referred to by the staff as "Flyburgers". When I asked why they were called "Flyburgers" he told me that they were reserved for extremely rude, demanding and obnoxious customers. And that the name referred to the added ingredient that was harvested all night long with a fly swatter and added generously to and worked into the patty just waiting for the right and deserving customer to step right up!

I bet any one who reads this and gets hungry the next time that they attend one of those venues ends up ordering a hot dog!

Comment

No, I was referring to the Red River Exhibition (everyone here calls it The Ex, for short). It's a travelling show/carnival with a large midway and entertainment. Sets up their stop here every year in the third week of June...and you can virtually count on it raining for the first day or two.
                      Ah, Winnipeg. So I was only 1,000 miles off. (More by car.)

Reminds me of a story, decades ago I started working with a guy who told me one day that when he was younger he used to work at the Ex. When I asked him what he did there he told me that he worked at a burger stand frying the actual patties. He told me that on one back corner of the grill they kept some special patties covered and reserved for certain customers and on the limited occasions when they were served up they were referred to by the staff as "Flyburgers". When I asked why they were called "Flyburgers" he told me that they were reserved for extremely rude, demanding and obnoxious customers. And that the name referred to the added ingredient that was harvested all night long with a fly swatter and added generously to and worked into the patty just waiting for the right and deserving customer to step right up!
                      This could be a new rep option on USCHO. The Flyburger Post: When Red Lights Just Aren't Enough!

I bet any one who reads this and gets hungry the next time that they attend one of those venues ends up ordering a hot dog!
                      Animal Lips > Mooshed Flys? Could be, I suppose. Say, do they allow bag lunches on the grounds?

Comment

2018 Alum story
                        https://theplayerscave.wordpress.com...ssica-convery/

Comment

Minnesota Duluth women's hockey coach fights to make her mark in shadow of her predecessor

http://www.startribune.com/umd-women...sor/565294542/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

UMD 3 - UM 2 in 3 on 3 OT.

Elmes scores the winner on an innocent looking deflection about 10 feet out off a soft (not sure if that was a pass or a shot) from inside the blue line.

Anti-climactic winner.
                            Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

UMD 3 - UM 2 in 3 on 3 OT.

Elmes scores the winner on an innocent looking deflection about 10 feet out off a soft (not sure if that was a pass or a shot) from inside the blue line.

Anti-climactic winner.
                              But fitting for the effort level that was put in by both teams. UMD's effort was very good tonight. Can't say the same for UM.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

UM 1 - UMD 0 after 1.

The 'Dogs strategy of employing the cheesecloth defense and a faux pas by Rooney on a shot that went in, after sitting/landing on her equipment in front of her, in a head shaking kind of way has UM ahead by one.

It took UMD almost 12 minutes to get its first SOG!

UM came out of the blocks looking like they were on a mission and the 'Dogs were headed in the opposite direction. UM with the big advantage in play for the first 15 minutes or so which is the exact opposite of what happened yesterday.

UMD with some extremely bad defensive moves/decisions/displays/execution. Hopefully it improves from here. Difficult not to.

Comment

Working...
                                X