WCHA Pick 'Em 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Pick 'Em 2019-2020

Sounds good to me, Talons. Here's to a pair of hopefully good games between our boys this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Hockey Fan View Post
      Sounds good to me, Talons. Here's to a pair of hopefully good games between our boys this weekend!
      Game 1 tonight was pretty good! ;-)

Comment

Week 3 was a toughie. Nearly 3/4 of the field failed to pick up even half the available points this week. However, stick taps to this week's tri-winners: BGFan, puckdude40, and walktheline who each posted 21 out of 36 points. With the field doing so poorly this week the standings are nicely scrambled with walktheline not only making an early case for ROY, but also taking sole possession of first place!

With the WCHA season starting in earnest in Week 4 it's time for the bonus to make it's first appearance. For you regulars, it's an oldie but a goodie. For you newer players, post any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Week 4 picks
        View response summaries
        View response details

WCHA Pick Em Standings

Comment

Wish I could say it's just dumb stupid luck. And it is. I picked a tie or two this week and screwed up the bonus question (picked for one game) so I'm really hoping for a defensive weekend battle in the 49th State.
          The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
            Wish I could say it's just dumb stupid luck. And it is. I picked a tie or two this week and screwed up the bonus question (picked for one game) so I'm really hoping for a defensive weekend battle in the 49th State.
            If you want to change your bonus pick or any of your other picks, fill out a new form and resubmit. I always take the last submission.

Comment

Lots of action this week, let's get to it. Stick taps to MTUHuskyGold and Soulbeaver who each correctly picked 11 of 12 games this week. Stick taps also go out to kckrieg84 and MTUHuskyGold who each correctly picked 107 shots on goal in the first round of the Alaska Governor's Cup. Add it up and what do you get? MTUHuskyGold is the week 4 winner picking up 43 out of a possible 46 points! 18 players pocketed at least 1 bonus point:

Code:
              Player		   Bonus Points
              kckrieg84		10
              MTUHuskeyGold		10
              MSUMaverickFan		 9
              Soulbeaver		 9
              BGFan			 8
              geezer			 8
              hawerchuck		 8
              Critical Thinker	 7
              Hockey John		 6
              Section P		 6
              gochiefs		 5
              GIWAN			 4
              GoNanooks		 4
              mbenecke		 4
              beaverhockeyfan		 3
              NHBEAVERFAN		 3
              Bale			 2
              puckdude40		 1
              And with all these points flying around we have a new name atop the leaderboard: MSUMaverickFan takes over the lead for first place in the race for the MacNaughton Cup! With the bonus now in play, there is a 6-way tie for the Mason Cup (best picker, no bonus - must enter a minimum of 1/3 of the games played) with everyone who is currently sitting in 6th place tied for the lead.

Eleven games on the slate this week including a Thursday night game so get those picks in early. No bonus for week 5.

Week 5 picks
              View response summaries
              View response details

WCHA Pick Em Standings

Comment

Halloween bump. There's a game tonight, missing some regulars.

Comment

Week 5 had 4 co-winners each with 27 out of a possible 33 points: Drumstix, kckrieg84, manurespreader, and mbenecke. And for the fourth week in a row we see brand new names atop the leaderboard with mbenecke and kckrieg84 now rolling along. Special shout out goes to Drumstix and Scrum Bucket who were the only two players to correctly pick Friday's UNO/UAA tie.

Hard to believe we've already gone through 1/4 of the schedule. If the number of regular weekly players stays at this pace (we're averaging over 40 players per week) I'll be expanding the playoff field. More on that in December/January.

Week 6 has 12 games on the schedule so the bonus will be on hiatus for one more week. There are some tough matchups this week so good luck!

Week 6 picks
                  View response summaries
                  View response details

WCHA Pick Em Standings

Comment

IMHO this year's pick-em is a lot harder than years past. Most of the teams have gotten better so the league as a whole is harder to pick. For those picking a split, I wonder how you decide which game of the weekend to pick a winner on and which a loser.I've gotten to the point that if I think it's a split I pick both games for one team so that at least I get one right.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      IMHO this year's pick-em is a lot harder than years past. Most of the teams have gotten better so the league as a whole is harder to pick. For those picking a split, I wonder how you decide which game of the weekend to pick a winner on and which a loser.I've gotten to the point that if I think it's a split I pick both games for one team so that at least I get one right.
                      Picking who wins on what night is the hard part. It's a guessing game. That is the fun of it though. I usually go with a hunch, some upsets, and how teams are trending. It is difficult to pick against your home team though. I have been having trouble with the bonus points last year and so far this year. Before that I was doing great with the bonus picks. I need to get out of that funk.
                      Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 11-05-2019, 07:40 PM.
                      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Thanks for the reminder. Last week was a nightmare and I never got a chance to make picks.

As for the splits, I tend to lean towards the home team on Saturday because they have more options for lineup changes. Someday I should look and see if there is any data to back up my theory that road teams are more likely to win on Friday vs. Saturday.

EDIT: And I think home teams have a little extra motivation to not be swept at home (unless you're Tech vs. Alaska [emoji2959])

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by MTUHuskies; 11-05-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I figure whichever team loses Friday is highly motivated Saturday. Another issue is referees. If it's a west team going east or vica versa I take into account that the refs will call 1 additional penalty on the visitors. I thought that might have happened to NMU at BU on Friday night.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The week 6 tri-winners, who each posted 29 points, were beaverhockeyfan, geezer and Miss Thundercat. And with this win, geezer joins IceKnight81 in the weekly scramble atop the leaderboard. Shout out to Hockey John and Scrum Bucket who were the only two players to correctly call Friday's St. Cloud/NMU tie.

Week 7 welcomes back the bonus so get your calculators out.

Week 7 picks
                            View response summaries
                            View response details

WCHA Pick Em Standings

Comment

Big week so let's get at it. The week 7 co-winners with 24 points were sonofcrossjcek and Stauber1 so congrats to you two! Before we get to the bonus, special honors go to beaverhockeyfan, drumstix, Footballguy51, and Wi.HuskiesFan who each correctly picked 7 of this weeks 8 games.

Only 32 goals were scored this week so for 2/3 of the field who seem to think the WCHA is a snipers league...well...no soup for you. Stauber1 picked up 9 bonus points to lead the way.

Code:
                              Player			Bonus Pts
                              Stauber1		9
                              sonofcrossjcek		6
                              GoNanooks		5
                              IceKnight81		3
                              Scrum Bucket		3
                              Drumstix		2
                              Hatch_man		2
                              klbaum1077		2
                              mbenecke		2
                              crossjcek		1
                              John J. MacInnes	1
                              MSUMaverickFan		1
                              Lastly, for the first time since week 1 we have some consistency at the top of the leaderboard as IceKnight81's 3 bonus points were enough to hang onto the lead.

Full slate of league games for week 8 so the bonus goes back on hiatus.

Week 8 picks
                              View response summaries
                              View response details

WCHA Pick Em Standings

Comment

Just realized I never got picks in this week, lots of unexpected things going on. Unfortunately, it's looking like this rollercoaster ride is going to continue for while. I wish everyone good luck and hope to play again next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X