Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From the ashes: St. Lawrence Skating Saints 2019-20

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
    You missed rpi82's point. He said neither the Chem chair nor the AD is responsible for facilities reconstruction. At SLU, the Facilities Operations Department holds that responsibility. Their web page states Facilities Operations is “responsible for the planning, design, construction and support services associated with infrastructure upgrades, new construction, renovations and preservation of existing campus assets….The Facilities team coordinates architectural services, project bidding, project administration and closeout."

Those statements contradict your claims that the AD is “in charge of hiring, oversight of the upgrade;” that it “his duty to hire the most qualified people to run it”, “manage the building project”, “hire the correct people to make it happen,” or “have a team in place to make sure time tables are correct.”

I’m certain he was an essential part of the design team and is still an essential member of the oversight team. But, being a member of that team did not and does not make him responsible for the construction project. Any timelines he provided were (are) based upon information provided to him by the contractor.

I don’t understand how not being able to manage a construction project makes an AD “inept,” especially when it’s not his job to do so. He is not a civil engineer or construction project manager; he is an AD. As such, he is not responsible for the project, and it’s unfair (at best) of you to claim he is

You are right; these delays are not a reason to fire him, because they are not his responsibility. But, contrary to your demands that he be fired, they also cannot be added to the list of issues that you think creates cause to fire him. Again, they (the delays) are not his responsibility. And you are wrong when you claim they are.
    Great input! We will agree to disagree.

A great podcast from Union this week, has Coach on it. A few subplots in the interview--- The time table to return to Appleton- NO Direct date when they return; Second-- He threw his resume in Late in the Process. I find both statements by Coach as concerns. GOOOO Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
      This is a wonderful team to watch and is going to surprise some people. They also will attract some talent who sees how quickly Coach Brekke turned the team around, reinstilled morale in it, and brought some excitement to the game they play. They'll also see the new Appleton and want to be part of that legacy.
      The future is bright-bring on the former Coach who moved to Mass. We've got game again!
      Go S-L-U
      Why so nasty towards Coach Carvy? Don't want to see people improve? or are you "INEPT" to see he did it for not just professional reasons but family reasons as well.

Comment

Absolutely understand why he moved; you can't refuse an offer that offers great professional and family benefits. I would have done it too.
        His success, both at SLU and U Mass, has (in my mind at least) created the basis for a good-natured team rivalry. I have great respect for Coach Carvel and appreciate everything he did at SLU, but now it's time to show him how well we've recovered from his departure, and what better way to show him than....

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
          Great input! We will agree to disagree.

A great podcast from Union this week, has Coach on it. A few subplots in the interview--- The time table to return to Appleton- NO Direct date when they return; Second-- He threw his resume in Late in the Process. I find both statements by Coach as concerns. GOOOO Saints.
          Link to podcast from Ken Schott / Daily Gazette (Change https to http) No definitives on Appleton progress ..."at least a month ...." was as close as he'd come.

https://dailygazette.com/article/201...on-st-lawrence
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Conference win #1

LGS

Comment

An impressive comeback to earn a win after a mostly less-than-stellar weekend of play. I have a feeling the team might have been hampered by illness this weekend. But whatever was going on, they didn't quit.

I've updated my stats graphs with this weekend's games. With a quarter of the season in the books, here's what stands out to me:
              - Throw out the shutout weekend in Canton a few weeks ago, and the offense has been scarily consistent. In those other 8 games, we've scored two goals in half of them and three goals in the other half of them. Never fewer than two, never more than three. At this point last season, we had scored multiple goals in only three games.
              - Our shots have settled into the mid 20s per game, which isn't very good, but our shots against are much better than last year. As a result, our shot margin is -6 per game -- in other words, our opponents are outshooting us by 2 shots per period, which ain't much.
              - Our shooting percentage (goals per shot) has been pretty respectable since that shutout weekend. In those six games since, we've scored on 10% of our shots, which puts us in the upper half of teams in the country (though not by much).
              - Our strength of schedule dropped a fair bit this weekend, not only from playing two low-ranked teams, but also due to slides in the Pairwise Rankings by some of our previous opponents. The average rank of our opponents is currently 38th, down from the low 30s last week. #1 Cornell will improve that a bit next weekend!
              SLU Stats 2019-2020
              Canton High School '76
              SLU '81
              KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
              SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

So Jordan Power just committed to Clarkson. A double whammy.

Comment

On paper, a bit ironic that we played much better in the game we lost 6-1 than in the game we lost 4-1 -- but in reality, not ironic, given that the 6-1 winner is the #1 team in the Pairwise Rankings and the 4-1 winner is #45. Very disappointing that we didn't play better against Colgate, as that's a team that we should have had a shot at beating. But I was happy to see that they turned the quality way up to start the Cornell game and played a dead-even period before, well, Cornell happened.

I've updated my stats graphs with this weekend's games. With a third of the season behind us now, just a couple of comments:
                  - The second period continues to be an extremely sore thumb. Although we're now being outscored in every period, the second is when we get blown out -- a season total of 17-7.
                  - Our minuscule shot total of 16 on Saturday night was the first time all season that we've been held to fewer than 22 shots. Not surprising that it would be Cornell who held us that low, as their defense is historically extremely stingy. For comparison, we were held to 16 or fewer shots in four games last season and in four games the season before that. Overall, our shots per game are still way better than last year.
                  SLU Stats 2019-2020
                  Canton High School '76
                  SLU '81
                  KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                  SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Say it aint so?? Rumblings that time table to be pushed out again for home games at Appleton

Comment

Not playing any games in Appleton until the students come back from Holiday Break in late January.
                      Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
                        Not playing any games in Appleton until the students come back from Holiday Break in late January.
                        That would be 1/31-2/1 Brown & Yale ... the schedule posted on the Larries site seems to confirm this.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          That would be 1/31-2/1 Brown & Yale ... the schedule posted on the Larries site seems to confirm this.
                          After I posted , I received this email from the SLU box office. There's enough ambiguity in this message to keep me from laying down a bet ...

"November 19, 2019

Significant progress continues to be made on the Appleton Arena renovation project. We are excited that the facility has been enclosed, the new scoreboard and ribbon board have been installed, and improvements to the fan experience have been made including, a new sound system, widening the concourses, and improving the flow of the concessions area.

However, conditions are not ready to make and maintain the ice surface to our standards. We have decided to delay the opening of Appleton Arena until our students return from the holiday break and can participate fully in the first games in our renovated facility, as well as providing us the opportunity to thoroughly test all new systems before playing Division I Hockey. We have changed the location for our home games through early January 2020 to the rink at SUNY Canton.

The women’s team plans to host Clarkson at Appleton on January 18, 2020. The men’s team plans to host Brown on January 31, 2020, at Appleton. Team schedules for both teams, game locations, as well as ticket information have been updated online. We want to thank our North Country neighbors SUNY Canton for their ongoing partnership and the use of their facility.

PLEASE NOTE: All tickets that have already been purchased for the games against Maine (11/29-11/30), Union (1/3), RPI (1/4), Quinnipiac (1/10) and Princeton (1/11) will be honored with seats at SUNY Canton. Ticket holders have been assigned a benefit to their account through the online ticket system that will allow them to select seats at no additional cost. Those will be able to be claimed starting Wednesday, November 20.

*Benefit Ticket will show as a ticket option when making your purchase.

As a reminder, the new ticketing system through University Tickets is web based, so users are able to login at saintsathletics.universitytickets.com
                          to select and purchase tickets.

Simply click the red “Log In/Register” box in the upper right-hand corner, select “General Public” and you’re on your way!

If you have questions, please call the Ticket Office at (315) 229-5696 or visit the desk Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The credentials issued to season ticket holders over the past few weeks will not work for the games that have been moved to SUNY Canton, as they correspond to your seats in Appleton. In addition, those season ticket holders who have purchased a parking pass and hospitality package for Appleton Arena will receive a credit for those six games, which will be applied to the cost of available season packages for the 2020-21 season.

Thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. We want to make sure that the Appleton Arena renovation is done right. The University remains committed to providing St. Lawrence’s hockey teams with a superior athletic facility that offers the best student-athlete and fan experience in college hockey.

Sincerely,

Appleton Arena Ticket Office

Comment

After I posted , I received this email from the SLU box office. There's enough ambiguity in this message to keep me from laying down a bet ...

"November 19, 2019

Significant progress continues to be made on the Appleton Arena renovation project. We are excited that the facility has been enclosed, the new scoreboard and ribbon board have been installed, and improvements to the fan experience have been made including, a new sound system, widening the concourses, and improving the flow of the concessions area.

However, conditions are not ready to make and maintain the ice surface to our standards. We have decided to delay the opening of Appleton Arena until our students return from the holiday break and can participate fully in the first games in our renovated facility, as well as providing us the opportunity to thoroughly test all new systems before playing Division I Hockey. We have changed the location for our home games through early January 2020 to the rink at SUNY Canton.

The women’s team plans to host Clarkson at Appleton on January 18, 2020. The men’s team plans to host Brown on January 31, 2020, at Appleton. Team schedules for both teams, game locations, as well as ticket information have been updated online. We want to thank our North Country neighbors SUNY Canton for their ongoing partnership and the use of their facility.

PLEASE NOTE: All tickets that have already been purchased for the games against Maine (11/29-11/30), Union (1/3), RPI (1/4), Quinnipiac (1/10) and Princeton (1/11) will be honored with seats at SUNY Canton. Ticket holders have been assigned a benefit to their account through the online ticket system that will allow them to select seats at no additional cost. Those will be able to be claimed starting Wednesday, November 20.

*Benefit Ticket will show as a ticket option when making your purchase.

As a reminder, the new ticketing system through University Tickets is web based, so users are able to login at saintsathletics.universitytickets.com
                            to select and purchase tickets.

Simply click the red “Log In/Register” box in the upper right-hand corner, select “General Public” and you’re on your way!

If you have questions, please call the Ticket Office at (315) 229-5696 or visit the desk Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The credentials issued to season ticket holders over the past few weeks will not work for the games that have been moved to SUNY Canton, as they correspond to your seats in Appleton. In addition, those season ticket holders who have purchased a parking pass and hospitality package for Appleton Arena will receive a credit for those six games, which will be applied to the cost of available season packages for the 2020-21 season.

Thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. We want to make sure that the Appleton Arena renovation is done right. The University remains committed to providing St. Lawrence’s hockey teams with a superior athletic facility that offers the best student-athlete and fan experience in college hockey.

Sincerely,

Appleton Arena Ticket Office
                            Why How can the be so far off the time table? This is a bigger joke than the BIG DIG in Boston.

Where is BOB?? GET OUT in public, don't hide behind an email. Its a mistake it happens, but get out in front of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                              Why How can the be so far off the time table? This is a bigger joke than the BIG DIG in Boston.

Where is BOB?? GET OUT in public, don't hide behind an email. Its a mistake it happens, but get out in front of it!!!
                              I don't know what the original project schedule was that was presented to fans and the public, but it sure seems like it was exceedingly optimistic. Where they late getting started ? Delays with design ? Delays with contractor selection?
                              I gotta think it would've made a lot more sense to tell fans that Appleton would be off line for '19-20 and then IF by chance the work progress allowed, you could surprise everyone and play some second half games in the newly rehabbed barn.
                              "Under promise and over deliver" as the saying goes.

Comment

I don't know what the original project schedule was that was presented to fans and the public, but it sure seems like it was exceedingly optimistic. Where they late getting started ? Delays with design ? Delays with contractor selection?
                                I gotta think it would've made a lot more sense to tell fans that Appleton would be off line for '19-20 and then IF by chance the work progress allowed, you could surprise everyone and play some second half games in the newly rehabbed barn.
                                "Under promise and over deliver" as the saying goes.
                                News story link:

https://www.wwnytv.com/2019/11/20/an...ppleton-arena/

Note that the video in this story is not current, it is file footage from November. Neither this story nor the November piece goes into any details as to what is causing the delays... poor reporting.
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X