From the ashes: St. Lawrence Skating Saints 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From the ashes: St. Lawrence Skating Saints 2019-20

Well, you certainly can't call a scoreless weekend a success. And obviously the team is still a work in progress. But I still saw positive elements. For one thing, holding UVM to just one goal plus an ENG was noteworthy -- the last time we did that well on defense was when we allowed only one goal against Cornell in February of 2018.

I've updated my stats graphs with this weekend's games:
    SLU Stats 2019-2020
    Canton High School '76
    SLU '81
    KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
    SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Hi again everyone! The ECAC schedule begins this Friday, so you only have two days remaining to submit your entry to this year's ECAC Pick The Standings Contest. Follow the link and all you need to do is project the final standings and see how well your predictions match up with other fans on the board along with the media and coaches over the course of the season. I hope to see you all there!
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Good effort from the guys last night. We were down for most of the game so to pick up a tie in this one feels like a win. We are showing more resiliency already this season then we did the last few years. So, that's a good sign to see us battle back and tie it up. The freshmen continue to impress and the PP has looked good so far this season. Things are starting to look up. We've got a long ways to go for sure, but I'm seeing lots of positives already. I'm hoping we can keep this up moving forward.
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

A good weekend. Last time we had a weekend with at least a win and a tie was in January of 2018. I thought the guys struggled in the first 40 minutes of Friday's game, but eventually they found their stride and kept it through Saturday. We're facing a much tougher test next weekend in Potsdam, but things continue to look better under the new staff.

I've updated my stats graphs with the Holy Cross and Bentley games. With six games in the books, one thing jumps out: while our offense has been barely better than in the same time span in each of the previous two seasons, our defense has been way better:
          - Two years ago, we averaged 4.3 goals against in the first six games.
          - Last year, it was 3.8.
          - This year, 2.5.
          - Last year in the first six games, we never held an opponent to fewer than 3 goals. Heck, we did that only six times in that entire season.
          - This year, we've held opponents below 3 goals four times.
          - We've also allowed 5.3 fewer shots per game than in last year's first six games.
          Great improvements in our own end.
          SLU Stats 2019-2020
          Canton High School '76
          SLU '81
          SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

I thought that the Saints dominated at Bentley last night, and the score could have been a lot more lopsided but for Pelino. Huge overall size differential between the two teams, especially on the blue line. Weird seeing Ben Murphy on the Saints bench, and at the Saints alum gathering in the corner of the concourse before the game. And, a very disappointing turn out by Bentley students for a game honoring their senior players.

Comment

This weekend it shows SLU @ Clarkson fri and sat ? Is this right, and both are nonconference games ? Why not one in Canton ?
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Not enough room at the Roos House for the expected multitudes. Alas, I'll have to watch the stream--can't make it to Cheel.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  This weekend it shows SLU @ Clarkson fri and sat ? Is this right, and both are nonconference games ? Why not one in Canton ?
                  Because or inept Athletic Director can't manage the building project. Meaning, he can't hire the correct people to make it happen. D3 skills running a D1 program.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatcard View Post
                    Because or inept Athletic Director can't manage the building project. Meaning, he can't hire the correct people to make it happen. D3 skills running a D1 program.
                    Just checking in before our game next week. I think you are being unfair to your AD. He doesn't manage an athletic facility renovation project any more than the chemistry department chair manages the renovation of a lab building. He can help establish project requirements but it's up to the facilities team to manage it using either internal or contract resources.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      Just checking in before our game next week. I think you are being unfair to your AD. He doesn't manage an athletic facility renovation project any more than the chemistry department chair manages the renovation of a lab building. He can help establish project requirements but it's up to the facilities team to manage it using either internal or contract resources.
                      Respectfully disagree. As the AD he should have a team in place to make sure time tables are correct. If the Chem chair, re-did the lab saying it would be open for school, but then its not done until second term, you think the Chem students would be happy? As the CEO of athletic Dept, the buck stops with him--he forms the team, if he can't form a team that performs then change is needed.

That being said, I will say this He hired (albeit it took a loooooonnng time) the correct Head Coach. Anyone that hasn't seen the post game from Cap and the words that are said by CU players ...unreal sportsmanship. Plus if you notice the respect for him by said players going thru the line... respect!!! The way he has saints playing, the respect former players have for him is remarkable. IF he can bring players in now all three legs of the stool will be in place.

Comment

The way he has saints playing, the respect former players have for him is remarkable. IF he can bring players in now all three legs of the stool will be in place.
                        I certainly agree that it remains to be seen whether he can bring in high-caliber players on a regular basis, and that there's a lot of room for improvement in recruiting. But at the same time, I think the quick and dramatic improvement we've seen so far this year -- almost entirely without last year's point leader (Gicewicz), by the way -- indicates not only his coaching ability but also that we already had some fairly talented players who just needed to be molded into a cohesive team (and I think it also indicates just how completely Morris failed at doing that). In short, I think there was already some decent potential that just needed to be unlocked, and that he's in the process of unlocking it.

But yeah, that third leg does still need some building.
                        Canton High School '76
                        SLU '81
                        SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

An exciting weekend, and a very impressive one, battling a top 20 team into OT both nights. That suggests that we'll be able to beat some lesser teams -- maybe starting next weekend in the Capital District.

I've updated my stats graphs with these two games. Here are the things that stand out to me after 8 games:
                          - While our offense still isn't tearing up the joint, it's much improved over last year. In last fall's first 8 games, we scored multiple goals in only two games. This year, we've done that in six games -- including both games against the team that's now #13 in the Pairwise Rankings.
                          - Our defense continues to be pretty strong. In the same time span last year, we gave up at least 3 goals in every game. This year, that's happened in only half of our games. Our defense is currently smack in the middle of the pack -- #30 in the country -- which is a huge improvement.
                          - Put those two things together, and look at our scoring margin. Last year at the same time, our opponents were averaging almost 2.4 goals per game more than we were. This year, that deficit is less than 0.9 goals per game.
                          - A similarly huge contrast in our shot margin. In last year's first 8 games, our opponents outshot us by more than 18 shots on goal per game. This year, 5.5.
                          - Penalties are still a problem.
                          SLU Stats 2019-2020
                          Canton High School '76
                          SLU '81
                          SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Watched both games on ESPN+ and . . . wow! I think it was clear that CU is the better team (that top line is dynamite), but our guys gave them almost more than they could handle. What especially impressed me was:
                            --passing, particularly on breakouts, and
                            --the total lack of quit, especially on those one on one board battles.
                            I can't wait for every next game.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. As the AD he should have a team in place to make sure time tables are correct. If the Chem chair, re-did the lab saying it would be open for school, but then its not done until second term, you think the Chem students would be happy? As the CEO of athletic Dept, the buck stops with him--he forms the team, if he can't form a team that performs then change is needed.
                              You missed rpi82's point. He said neither the Chem chair nor the AD is responsible for facilities reconstruction. At SLU, the Facilities Operations Department holds that responsibility. Their web page states Facilities Operations is “responsible for the planning, design, construction and support services associated with infrastructure upgrades, new construction, renovations and preservation of existing campus assets….The Facilities team coordinates architectural services, project bidding, project administration and closeout."

Those statements contradict your claims that the AD is “in charge of hiring, oversight of the upgrade;” that it is his responsibility “to hire the most qualified people to run it,” “manage the building project,” “hire the correct people to make it happen,” or “have a team in place to make sure time tables are correct.”

I’m certain he was an essential part of the design team and is still an essential member of the oversight team. But, being a member of that team did not and does not make him responsible for the construction project. Any timelines he provided were (are) based upon information provided to him by the contractor or Director of Facilities Operations.

I don’t understand how not being able to manage a construction project makes an AD “inept,” especially when it’s not his job to do so. He is not a civil engineer or construction project manager; he is an AD. As such, he is not responsible for the project, and it’s unfair (at best) of you to claim he is

You are right; these delays are not a reason to fire him, because they are not his responsibility. But, contrary to your demands that he be fired, they also cannot be added to the list of issues that you think creates cause to fire him. Again, they (the delays) are not his responsibility. And you are wrong when you claim they are.
                              Last edited by saintsdad; 11-08-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

This is a wonderful team to watch and is going to surprise some people. They also will attract some talent who sees how quickly Coach Brekke turned the team around, reinstilled morale in it, and brought some excitement to the game they play. They'll also see the new Appleton and want to be part of that legacy.
                                The future is bright-bring on the former Coach who moved to Mass. We've got game again!
                                Go S-L-U
                                Last edited by saintsdad; 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X