Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Well, instead of whining about Francis, you could do something about it and walk away from Catholicism.
    Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. One does not leave the True Faith because one (many!) of Her leaders has a few(?!) screws loose.

If worse comes to worse, there is the SSPX.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Religion: Catholics, Episcopalians, Atheists, All Are Welcome!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. One does not leave the True Faith because one (many!) of Her leaders has a few(?!) screws loose.

"We believe in one God,
      the Father, the Almighty,
      maker of heaven and earth,
      of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
      the only Son of God,
      eternally begotten of the Father,
      God from God, Light from Light,
      true God from true God,
      begotten, not made,
      of one Being with the Father.
      Through him all things were made.
      For us and for our salvation
      he came down from heaven:
      by the power of the Holy Spirit
      he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
      and was made man.
      For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
      he suffered death and was buried.
      On the third day he rose again
      in accordance with the Scriptures;
      he ascended into heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
      He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
      and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
      who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
      With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
      He has spoken through the Prophets.
      We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
      We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
      We look for the resurrection of the dead,
      and the life of the world to come. Amen."

That's what I believe, and that's what I read this morning. Note it says small c "catholic." And "True Faith?" Ah yes, everyone who's not a capital C Catholic is a heretic, right?
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Since the whole thing is a myth anyway I obviously have no problem with somebody personalizing their theology. Literally whatever works is equal in the eyes of a non-existent deity.

But I don't really see the point with being a half measure Catholic like joe. The whole idea is the ontological grounding of Ultimate Authority in Holy Mother Church. If you're not going to go for that then, meh, just join another of the millions of silly Protestant denominations. The entire centrality of Catholicism is a formal surrender of your reasoning capacity to a supervisor ostensibly named by God. If you're going to exercise your own judgment you've already failed as a Catholic. You're a Lutheran with somewhat less flamboyant fashion sense and perhaps more of a preference for girls.
        How is Joe a half-measure Catholic? He's arguably a traditionalist!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          How is Joe a half-measure Catholic? He's arguably a traditionalist!
          Only when it suits him. He always has an excuse for not adhering to some particular Catholic practice that he personally doesn't agree with. Like Scalia: strict constructionist when that's useful; free thinker when that's useful.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Francis, I believe, is far out there in matters of faith and morals. But he is a Jesuit which explains all.

Did a Jesuit priest molest you or something? Your hatred for them, considering you’re supposed to be of the same faith, is strange.

Comment

Once a catholic always a catholic? I grew up immersed in that crap and hardly anyone I went to catholic school with is still a catholic. Nor is most of my extended family.

Plenty of people who whose parents attempted to brain wash them were able to use their brain and flee the church

Comment

True Faith? Clinging to a Fairy Tale does not make one loyal or noble or righteous. Only fooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Only when it suits him. He always has an excuse for not adhering to some particular Catholic practice that he personally doesn't agree with. Like Scalia: strict constructionist when that's useful; free thinker when that's useful.
                  Ah Kep, where?

You apparently left. I stayed, despite all her warts and defective shepherds. What incident(s) drove you away?

I came to love Holy Mother Church because She is the one True Faith started by Christ through Peter and can trace an unbroken line back to then. In matters of Faith and Morals, She is without error.

Believe what you will. We'll meet somewhere in the afterlife and compare notes.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Ah Kep, where?

You apparently left. I stayed, despite all her warts and defective shepherds. What incident(s) drove you away?

I came to love Holy Mother Church because She is the one True Faith started by Christ through Peter and can trace an unbroken line back to then. In matters of Faith and Morals, She is without error.

Believe what you will. We'll meet somewhere in the afterlife and compare notes.
                    And when I get there, you're gonna be surprised to see me up there, considering Holy Mother Church's stance that my people are part of "the age of sin for destroying creation."
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

and can trace an unbroken line back to then.
                      Except for that ****ed Jesuit Francis, amirite?

Comment

Francis, I believe, is far out there in matters of faith and morals. But he is a Jesuit which explains all.
                        Then I guess you’re a pretty ****ty catholic.

A True Believer should think it is god’s will that Francis became Pope, right? You’re just upset he told you it’s not okay to judge gay people, right? Or that you should be nice to immigrants? Or polluting is a sin?
                        Last edited by BassAle; 10-07-2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Except for that ****ed Jesuit Francis, amirite?
                          Look up the Cadaver Conclave.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oh horsepoop!! Go join +Malone in Buffalo and get off the Empire Builder in Malta.

https://www.complicitclergy.com/2019...-abuse-claims/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Look up the Cadaver Conclave.
                              Leave it to the Catholics to destroy existence. You don't celebrate your faith, you mourn it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Leave it to the Catholics to destroy existence. You don't celebrate your faith, you mourn it.
                                I mourn what was tossed in the dustbin following V2. 1900 years of history were tossed in favor of something new and improved, like New Coke.

At least we still say (until recently it seems) "No."
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X