Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

Re: NHL 2019-20 #1: Where Toronto Plans To Win Without Playing Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Babcock fired in Toronto.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Ah, I have an answer: he's still ****ed because Babs didn't play him in Detroit. From Wiki:

Commodore has been very open over his disapproval of former Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. Commodore has stated he was "screwed over" by Babcock while with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks of the AHL, claiming Babcock refused to play him in favour of new addition Kurt Sauer.[18] The relationship worsened nine years later, after Commodore signed with the Red Wings, who Babcock was coaching. Commodore states this signing is what ended his career in the NHL.[18] Commodore claimed that Babcock misled him by telling him he was wanted as a physical presence; Commodore would remain a healthy scratch for a month and a half to start the season before playing in two games, and was then scratched again until December, only reentering the line up when, according to Commodore, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland ordered Babcock to play him.[18] Commodore would go on to say he was traded out of Detroit "because Holland felt bad [for me]", referring to his lack of playing time.[18]

Commodore (along with Hall of Fame defenseman Chris Chelios[19]) also held against Babcock the fact that he healthy scratched Mike Modano when he had 1499 games played. Modano retired following that season and never reached the 1500 games played milestone. [20]

Following his retirement, Commodore has lashed out at Babcock multiple times, particularly on Twitter where he constantly refers to the coach as a "piece of ****".[21] Commodore has also said he hopes Babcock "gets hit by a truck."[22]
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Oh look, an average defenseman with an oversized ego is begging for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Oh look, an average defenseman with an oversized ego is begging for attention.
    I honestly feel the truth is somewhere in between, but leans toward Commie's version. All we see as fans and through Babcock's media friendly soundbites is that Commie was sat more than played. Commie obviously has had this opinion of Babs since then (anyone following him on Twitter for a few years is well aware of this. But Commie has never spilled the beans other than just sounding like a petulant child because he never got playing time.

It's well known that at the time Commie was on the team was when the Swedish Mafia had their stranglehold on the locker room. And that was about the time there were rumors that the guys had turned Babcock out, but it was all ignored because they were [ ] close to returning to a SCF with almost the same lineup as '09.

This was also Blashill's first pro coaching year, and it was decided following this year that Blash would head to Grand Rapids to groom the kids (whom Babcock was notoriously terrible at coaching) and there were already rumbles that Blash was the heir apparent in Detroit.

Also worth noting that Commie had 57 NHL games in his first two seasons as a New Jersey Devil (immediately following three years at NoDak), and yet he was stuck in the AHL his third year playing 61 games for the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, never getting a call up to the NHL Ducks, helmed by Mike Babcock. (Blame for that also lies on Ducks GM Brian Murray). Odd though, once the Ducks traded Commie to Calgary, the Flames used him in 12 games along with 7 more for their AHL team.

Was he NHL material out of college? The two year stint in Lowell (AHL) the following year of the Calgary trade says no, but he has a pretty serviceable NHL career after that.

Long story short: Commie may be more right than you all think.

Kicizapi Cetan

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Was he NHL material out of college? The two year stint in Lowell (AHL) the following year of the Calgary trade says no, but he has a pretty serviceable NHL career after that.
    Commie could barely skate at college-level proficiency when he got to UND. (We miss you Nancy Burggraf.)

But yeah, from 2005 to 2011 he had an NHL run many only dream of.
    https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=33952

He fixes the cable?

Any time you need a chuckle, watch the Wild play 3 on 3. Don't worry, it won't take much of your time. Pretty much a Vine.

Alien With an Attitude

Might be the end for Flames coach Bill Peters

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ch-bill-peters
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Might be the end for Flames coach Bill Peters

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ch-bill-peters
    Former D Michal Jordan was coached by Peters in the Carolina organization and he Tweeted that Peters kicked him during a game and also punched another player in the head.

Goaltender Eddie Lack also reminded Twitter that Peters felt the need to air his frustrations about Eddie publicly to the media, and not to Eddie personally.

Bill Peters sounds like a giant toolbag that needs to be forcefully shown the door.

Woof.

More fallout from the Peters incident, Rod Brind'Amour basically confirmed it.

This sounds like it's a bad combination of power tripping coaches given too much "free reign," young kids who don't want to speak up for fear of jeopardizing their NHL dreams, older players who have seen enough of it to just shrug it off, and an old guard where everything is so insular that bringing it up wouldn't have changed anything at the time.

I guess what surprises me most from this, is that *this* moment, a decade after some of these incidents happened, is where the rest of the hockey world is going "ooohhhHHHHHHHHhhhh, now we get it, we're going to use this to change our culture."

Like, Jesus Christ guys, really? It's taken this long?

Also, I suddenly have become more curious as to the motives of Detroit's Swedish Mafia, because maybe they were on to something...

More fallout from the Peters incident, Rod Brind'Amour basically confirmed it.

This sounds like it's a bad combination of power tripping coaches given too much "free reign," young kids who don't want to speak up for fear of jeopardizing their NHL dreams, older players who have seen enough of it to just shrug it off, and an old guard where everything is so insular that bringing it up wouldn't have changed anything at the time.

I guess what surprises me most from this, is that *this* moment, a decade after some of these incidents happened, is where the rest of the hockey world is going "ooohhhHHHHHHHHhhhh, now we get it, we're going to use this to change our culture."
    Hazing. Physical abuse. Sexual abuse.

Wherever you have authoritarian males presiding over young people who depend on them for approval and advancement (travel teams, evangelical churches, Catholic schools, the arts, the military) you get this kind of predatory behavior. It's almost as if the fault is in authoritarianism and the Cult of the Leader itself.

Just another ape behavior we have to modify or drop entirely.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Also, I suddenly have become more curious as to the motives of Detroit's Swedish Mafia, because maybe they were on to something...
    Go on.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Go on.

From 97.1 The Ticket...
    "If you talk to a lot of players who played for Mike Babcock, they will all share the same sentiment: good coach, but very, very questionable about the things he does to certain people," Carlo Colaiacovo said.

"I played with guys in Detroit that hated him. Every year in Detroit the leaders would go in and try to get him fired, but Kenny Holland wouldn't even entertain that conversation because he knew what he was getting as a coach."

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Hazing. Physical abuse. Sexual abuse.

Wherever you have authoritarian males presiding over young people who depend on them for approval and advancement (travel teams, evangelical churches, Catholic schools, the arts, the military) you get this kind of predatory behavior. It's almost as if the fault is in authoritarianism and the Cult of the Leader itself.

Just another ape behavior we have to modify or drop entirely.
    But when karma hits a bully back...

It’s beautiful

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Wings outscored 12-1 in their last two games. 13th time in 28 games they've given up 5 or more. Third string goalie starting. Glendening playing 1st line minutes tonight (why?!).

Despair for Lafrenière?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Wings outscored 12-1 in their last two games. 13th time in 28 games they've given up 5 or more. Third string goalie starting. Glendening playing 1st line minutes tonight (why?!).

Despair for Lafrenière?
    I'm cool with that.
    ― Franz Kafka

Despair for Lafrenière?
    I wasn't really surprised. Wings haven't won a game in regulation in Philly since 1998. Technically since the summer of 1997.

Chelios on Babcock berating Franzen, who was silently battling depression and that major concussion, during the Nashville playoff series.

Last edited by aparch; 12-02-2019 at 11:20 AM.

I'd just like to take a moment and recant every ill word I typed and spoke about the Swedish Mafia. I had no idea. No one had any idea. All this was kept in-house pretty tight lipped.

I'd just like to take a moment and recant every ill word I typed and spoke about the Swedish Mafia. I had no idea. No one had any idea. All this was kept in-house pretty tight lipped.
    I've been reading some pieces about the Swedish Mafia and also some response Comments. Man, that was an entertaining plot arc I was never aware off. When I got to "9/11 was a Swedish Inside Job" I practically fell off my chair laughing.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information