Thread: Another Computer Question

Vinegar Strokes

Another Computer Question

So, my current computer (Sony Vaio) is on it's last breath. I think I'll need to get a new one soon, I kind of want a MacBook. Will my Microsoft Office files be able to run on a Mac OS? And my music files? I have iTunes so all my music is converted over to that format, but I'd need to copy all of it anyways. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Re: Another Computer Question

Quote Originally Posted by collegehcky2 View Post
    So, my current computer (Sony Vaio) is on it's last breath. I think I'll need to get a new one soon, I kind of want a MacBook. Will my Microsoft Office files be able to run on a Mac OS? And my music files? I have iTunes so all my music is converted over to that format, but I'd need to copy all of it anyways. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Yes and Yes, provided you get Office for your new laptop. Really no different than trying to open a PDF on an apple vs. a pc anymore.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Ok I thought I would resurrect a thread instead of starting my own...I'm trying to do some excel vba macro stuff and I've hit a major bump. What was trying to do is create some if statements to determine which macro to run...There is possible relevant data in 2 cells BC7 and BC8

BC7 can look like the following:
    e0 #1WL pitcher-4 relief(1)/N@
    e0 #1WR pitcher-4 relief(1)/6@
    e10 #3WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
    e12 #1WR pitcher-3 starter(7)@
    e17 #5WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
    e17 #5WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
    e7 #6NL pitcher-1 starter(7)@
    e10 #3WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@

I want to run a specific macro if the cell contains starter and a different one if it contains relief

BC8 can look like the following:

bunting-A relief(3)/N@
    bunting-B relief(3)/0@
    bunting-C relief(3)/N@
    bunting-C relief(2)/6@
    bunting-A
    bunting-B
    bunting-C

I want to run a specific macro if the cell contains relief or nothing special if it doesn't.

I thought I could do
    Range("BC7").Select
    If Activecell = "*starter*" then
    Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!StarterBC7"
    End If
    Range("BC7").Select
    If Activecell = "*relief*" then
    Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!ReliefBC7"
    End If
    Range("BC8").Select
    If Activecell = "*relief*" then
    Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!ReliefBC8"
    End If

But the = "*whatever*" isn't working...help?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose Zudnic's Avatar

I don't know VB or .NET so this may or may not work. Approaching it as someone who used to do a lot of coding in other languages.

You don't need to ask: is "bunting-C relief(3)/N@" EQUAL TO "*relief*" (which is what you do with your statement: If Activecell = "*relief*" then ... )

Instead you need to ask: "relief" PRESENT WITHIN "is bunting-C relief(3)/N@"

A quick Google search shows that there is a fn called "InStr()" which should accomplish this for you.
    https://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/instr.html

InStr([start,] string1, string2 [, compare])

So:
    if InStr(ActiveCell, "relief") == NULL

etc.

Here it is.. the day I am finally coding on the USCHO boards. Only took eleven years

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan

resurrecting an old thread.

Windows 10, new horses**t computer, lower right of the screen contains multiple popups that go the 'New Notifications'. is this an app that i can turn off somehow???? it's highly annoying. any help would be appeciated.
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Settings, system, notifications & actions.

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Settings, system, notifications & actions.
    Seems to have worked. Thanks a lot.
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Quote Originally Posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    Seems to have worked. Thanks a lot.

Nice phishing attack today.

Got an email acknowledging an Apple purchase I hadn't made. So first I send it (like an idiot) to my wife and daughter asking them if they ordered something (it looks like the kind of thing my daughter would get as a present for her boyfriend). I was at least smart enough to not click anything in it. Get home, dig up my account info (I never use that account), log into my account through Apple itself (ignoring the links in the email) and verify nothing has been purchased against it.

It would have been easy and natural to follow the link in the email to "Apple" and log in, thus giving them them my info.

Thank you work training. It didn't help that the official Apple login page is itself not prefaced by "https://", another thing I look for, but instead by some secureid string generated by the login which, yeah, very clever but f-ck you Apple.

Be careful out there. The Dumpbotskis are getting smarter. The email, needless to say, exactly matched official Apple correspondence.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

So this isn't exactly a computer question but maybe someone here can help me figure something out. I can't seem to get my ipads to recognize the microphone on a TRRS cable. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Nice phishing attack today.

Got an email acknowledging an Apple purchase I hadn't made. So first I send it (like an idiot) to my wife and daughter asking them if they ordered something (it looks like the kind of thing my daughter would get as a present for her boyfriend). I was at least smart enough to not click anything in it. Get home, dig up my account info (I never use that account), log into my account through Apple itself (ignoring the links in the email) and verify nothing has been purchased against it.

It would have been easy and natural to follow the link in the email to "Apple" and log in, thus giving them them my info.

Thank you work training. It didn't help that the official Apple login page is itself not prefaced by "https://", another thing I look for, but instead by some secureid string generated by the login which, yeah, very clever but f-ck you Apple.

Be careful out there. The Dumpbotskis are getting smarter. The email, needless to say, exactly matched official Apple correspondence.
    2-factor for everything.
    Never ever trust an email.

Microsoft 365 Business Outlook users:

Outlook has to be restarted every day in order to get it to link with email provider.

This didn't use to happen, but started about 6 months ago. I have followed every possible fix that Microsoft has suggested on their troubleshooting sights.

I use GoDaddy for my email server.

Anyone run into a similar issue?

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Earl_Leatherland View Post
    Microsoft 365 Business Outlook users:

Outlook has to be restarted every day in order to get it to link with email provider.

This didn't use to happen, but started about 6 months ago. I have followed every possible fix that Microsoft has suggested on their troubleshooting sights.

I use GoDaddy for my email server.

Anyone run into a similar issue?
    How do you have it setup? Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc.?

Does it crash, just not connect, not load...?

Have you tried appending "_old" your outlook profiles and creating a new one through the system mail application?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

How do you have it setup? Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc.? IMAP

Does it crash, just not connect, not load...? Gets caught in a loop during the "Outlook Send/Receive Progress". Pop up window says "1 of 2 Tasks have completed successfully". The second task, where it is "Synchronizing subscribed folders for emailaddress@emailadress.com" and "Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on emailaddress@emailadress.com" just never gets completed.

Have you tried appending "_old" your outlook profiles and creating a new one through the system mail application? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    2-factor for everything
    Word.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Earl_Leatherland View Post
    How do you have it setup? Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc.? IMAP

Does it crash, just not connect, not load...? Gets caught in a loop during the "Outlook Send/Receive Progress". Pop up window says "1 of 2 Tasks have completed successfully". The second task, where it is "Synchronizing subscribed folders for emailaddress@emailadress.com" and "Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on emailaddress@emailadress.com" just never gets completed.

Have you tried appending "_old" your outlook profiles and creating a new one through the system mail application? Yes
    Does it return any errors on the progress window? You might have to pin the window to keep it open.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

wubba lubba dub dub

Word.
    I don't think Word requires 2FA. Yet.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Internet Nutcase
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I don't think Word requires 2FA. Yet.
    Office 365 can use two-factor

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Does it return any errors on the progress window? You might have to pin the window to keep it open.
    It figures that it would not do it this morning. Stupid AI reading my mail and my mind!
    Clarkson Men's/Women’s Hockey
    ECAC RS: Men: 66, 77, 81, 82, 91, 95, 97, 99, 01, 08 Women: 14, 15, 17, 18
    ECAC Tourney: Men: 66, 91, 93, 99, 07,19 Women: 17, 18, 19
    NCAA Tourn Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 81, 82, 84, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 07, 08, 18, 19 Women: 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
    NCAA Frozen 4 Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 91 Women: 14, 16, 17, 18, 19
    NCAA TITLES: Men: Women: 2014 2017 2018

Thread Information