Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Big series for both teams!

Top-10 Series Awaits
    https://gophersports.com/news/2019/1...es-awaits.aspx
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I see where Nicole Haase is predicting a split in the Minnesota/Ohio State series, then adds “…but both teams have the ability to sweep”. A little surprising, based on each team's results to date?

https://www.uscho.com/2019/10/25/wom...rt-the-season/
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

What a crappy period by the Gophers...It is kind of amazing they are in a tie game 1-1.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          What a crappy period by the Gophers...It is kind of amazing they are in a tie game 1-1.
          Zumwinkle's slap shot is a powerful equalizer. They've looked flat all around, and I'm not sure that the switch of Woken and S. Potomak between the top two lines is helping. Hengler in particular looks like she's struggling so far.

Comment

2nd period is not any better so far. Gophers now down 2-1.

Comment

It looks like a beach ball could get through the Gopher goalie. 3-1 Ohio State

Comment

Ohio State 3...Zoom Boom 2

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  It looks like a beach ball could get through the Gopher goalie. 3-1 Ohio State
                  The Hengler/Ostertag pairing is not having a good game. They got overpowered in front of the net on each of OSU's first two goals, and, while Scobee certainly should have made the save on the third, Ostertag handed the puck to Maltais and then went out of her way to ease Maltais' path to the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    The Hengler/Ostertag pairing is not having a good game.
                    Yes...#13 in particular.

Comment

It would be nice if the cameraman could follow the game!

Comment

Knowles has had issues tonight, too. She keeps losing track of her man.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          I see where Nicole Haase is predicting a split in the Minnesota/Ohio State series, then adds “…but both teams have the ability to sweep”. A little surprising, based on each team's results to date?

*waves in smug satisfaction*
                          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

My non sassy answer is I'm not entirely sure Minnesota is as good as their record implies and I know Ohio State is better than their results imply. Mankato has had OSU's number for a few seasons now, so I take those results with a grain of salt. Should the Buckeyes be able to win those games? Absolutely. But MSU seems to be the one series they should win every season that they really struggle with. If they drop a number of games to SCSU or even Quinnipiac, then I'd have to reconsider. It's not that the ties to MSU aren't bad for them, it's just that I actually expected them at this point.

Much like Robert Morris vs. Minnesota, the Buckeyes hung around the Badgers for all but one period. As you saw tonight, Ohio State is not a team to take lightly and they very much will be in the running at the end of the season. They have plus talent at a number of positions and rookies that are already proving they'll make this team better.

That being said, Minnesota is going to get better than they are right now. I said in my preview that this was a team that would come together and look different than most other Gopher teams, but there's still three lines worth of very talented players there and I think it's a matter of them finding their way. Gopher fans forget how spoiled they are, sometimes, with the talent and ease with which your team usually just graduates, reloads and doesn't miss much of a beat. It's not been that simple this year, but I also don't think it'll be a season-long problem.
                            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

See! I just KNEW we should have scheduled LIU so that we'd look even better than our record indicates!!!

As for taking the Buckeyes lightly, OSU has 8 players from Minnesota and its entire coaching staff is former Gophers. I think that the Gophers understand that they are always going to get that team's best effort.

Compare that to the Badgers. Who grows up dreaming of wearing the "Motion W" (that really isn't moving)? Maybe the three D-I players that the state of Wisconsin produces every decade. For the rest of the talent pool, if the movie "Miracle" hadn't been made, all they would know about the Badgers is that they are coached by a guy who played hockey back when their grandfathers used to play. So when the Badgers pass on them (they don't have room for all of the Gophers' rejects), they don't really get ticked at Wisconsin, because that wasn't their first choice anyway.

Thanks for stopping, BTW. It gets old trading the same facetious insults with Tim.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                                I'm not entirely sure Minnesota is as good as their record implies
                                The way they played the first 2 periods Friday night, they certainly are not..

Comment

Working...
                                X