Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Which is all well and good, I just don't understand the part about me not knowing ICE existed until two years ago. With a spouse who worked many years with foreign students I know more about ICE than I'd like to.
    Only Bernie Bros were woke enough to know about ICE prior to 2 years ago

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 15: Help Us, Ruth Bader Ginsburg! You're Our Only Hope!

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.
        I'll note for the record that I didn't insult trix...
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Yeah trix went Bizarro with that one.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Says the guy who didn’t know ICE existed until 2 years ago.
            Dude, I've been playing hockey since I was a kid. I've always known about ice.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Yeah trix went Bizarro with that one.
              You'll have to excuse him. The Berngod has had a rough go of it lately.

Comment

The best Court money can buy.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Most transparent President ever. He's got nothing to hide*.

*nothing except various business dealings in Russia, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia that are not your concern and have nothing to do with his actions as POTUS

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Hey, Turtle Boy. Go **** yourself.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Marcy Wheeler is a treasure.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

There are a couple comments that go into detail about what happened. Sounds like this may not be as bad as it sounds.

Emphasis not mine:

This is only an administrative stay. Nothing more.

As background and Not to lose sight of what a lot of folks – myself included – think will show that Trump was laundering $$$ for the Russians – explaining why everything he does seems to help out Putin… Two Federal Appellate Courts – the 2nd Circuit in NY, and the DC Circuit – have now upheld subpoenas to Trump’s accountants Mazers for eight years of his taxes. The NY case is by the NY AG, the DC case is by house oversight committee.

In NY, Trump agreed with the NY AG to “stay” the case (not demand the tax returns be turned over immediately), provided that Trump filed any petition for review in the US supreme Court w/I 10 days. That time ran last week and Trump had to file a “Petition for Certiorari” That will likely be considered by the Court in conference to see if they take the case on either December 13 or more likely January 10. It takes 4 votes to grant the petition to review the case.

In the DC case, Trump lost 2-1 (the one judge who supported him was appointed by him) then asked the full 11 member Court to review the decision, and he lost that 8-3 (the other Trump judges voted for him, as did a Bush Judge). There, Trump will not only had to petition for review, but he had to immediately ask the Supreme Court for a Stay to allow him to file a Cert. Petition. A stay takes 5 votes. The order on the stay request is what just came down.

I should note that some judges (Breyer in particular) will vote for stays as a “courtesy”, even if he will not vote to grant cert, so a stay being granted does not mean a lot. The reality is that the Court is balancing Trump’s claims vs a delay until either Dec 13 or Jan 10, and it’s hard to argue that the delay - to allow the full court to consider his cert petition is not necessary.

Assuming that the Supreme Court takes the case, we would see oral argument in April, decision by week of June 29 (last week the Court sits). If they deny cert, then his taxes are releases immediately.

The opinion in the NY case is here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...e-20191104.pdf 1
                          DC Opinion is here: https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/20C16C3C5721030C85258490004DE33C/$file/19-5142-1810450.pdf
                          The other one is a reply to the above. I trust unofan will be able to tell us if this is accurate or not...
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Meh. Standard procedure to hold things at the status quo until the court decides whether to grant cert or not.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Meh. Standard procedure to hold things at the status quo until the court decides whether to grant cert or not.
                              OK, I'll stand down.* I trust you.

* For now.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Makes total sense in a case like this. If they don’t issue the stay while the case is pending, then the records would have to be released right away. After that, they can’t very well go back in 6 months and un-ring the bell. Issuing the stay is the only way to keep their options open until they actually hear the case.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X