Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 151

Thread: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

  1. #21
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
    five more year! Five more years! Im sure that was the chant at the pour house or VT national's clubhouse from Sneddy and his crew after the game
    Real season starts next week and if we are being fair if they are 2-2 at end of the month that should be expectation anything better is nice surprise but November might decide the whole season as they play league games with teams that have way more talent and better coaching than they do they either show they for real or sit with 6 to 7 league losses after first month
    Actually, the season doesn't start until the week after next. Just had a look at the schedule and you're right, November is an absolutely brutal month! There's definitely potential to rack up some losses. Regarding October, 2-2 should be the goal and it's definitely realistic. Anything better would be lagniappe (to quote my Louisiana friends). Good start last night though, even if Guelph is pretty bad.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    264

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Nice game for the Catamounts last night. Couple random observations (all of this is prefaced by Guelph is not a very good team):
    - The Guelph goal was because the defense backed in way to far past the blue line without making a play on the puck.
    - Line combinations worked well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Seems like a shift in systems might be happening. A little less turtle shell block shots at all costs defense in the defensive zone. The forwards are breaking out a little earlier and I think that was opening up the center ice more. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Lekkas settled in after giving up the first goal. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Nice seeing Harmon and Beck get on the ice. They played well and both had some great saves. Shout out to Beck coming on the ice while UVM was killing off a penalty. Right into the fire.
    - Freshman played well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - For the first time in forever our seats are on the penalty box side because of the construction. From a distance, Sneddon looks vaguely like Putin. Can't blame Guelph for that

    -

  3. #23
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by j24vt View Post
    Nice game for the Catamounts last night. Couple random observations (all of this is prefaced by Guelph is not a very good team):
    - The Guelph goal was because the defense backed in way to far past the blue line without making a play on the puck.
    - Line combinations worked well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Seems like a shift in systems might be happening. A little less turtle shell block shots at all costs defense in the defensive zone. The forwards are breaking out a little earlier and I think that was opening up the center ice more. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Lekkas settled in after giving up the first goal. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - Nice seeing Harmon and Beck get on the ice. They played well and both had some great saves. Shout out to Beck coming on the ice while UVM was killing off a penalty. Right into the fire.
    - Freshman played well. Or it might be that Guelph is not very good team.
    - For the first time in forever our seats are on the penalty box side because of the construction. From a distance, Sneddon looks vaguely like Putin. Can't blame Guelph for that

    -
    I honestly hope a shift in systems is a Thing and not just "guelph bad". We're probably going to suck, but I'd rather be fun-bad than unwatchable like the last two seasons.


    Re: Sneddon/Putin, someone actually made that note in a recent /r/collegehockey ****post putting Hockey East coaches next to their well-known doppelgangers. Made me cackle....especially Bazin's https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehock...t_some_hockey/
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    I honestly hope a shift in systems is a Thing and not just "guelph bad". We're probably going to suck, but I'd rather be fun-bad than unwatchable like the last two seasons.


    Re: Sneddon/Putin, someone actually made that note in a recent /r/collegehockey ****post putting Hockey East coaches next to their well-known doppelgangers. Made me cackle....especially Bazin's https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehock...t_some_hockey/
    Careful now. Fun bad is probably on the "yes for extension" checklist for Schulman.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    5

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    While I also feel the coaches message is stale (to players, fans, admin) - I'm going to comment on the exhibition game and build off J24VT's comments. Agree with many of your comments and definitely recognize that Guelph was mediocre at best.

    - I thought 1st line (listed below) meshed well and was able to generate. Esposito has a well rounded game and works hard, Cipollone - looks to pick up where he left off last year, and - #17 Jacques Bouquot appeared to be the current best freshman. He skates a little choppy but he gets where he needs to. Seemed to have nice offensive instincts and found himself around the puck all night. Nice finish on the wrist shot for his goal.

    - In terms of freshman (always one of my favorite things to do early season) after #17 Bouquot I liked #7 Simon Boyko - smooth skater always moving. Will need to see if where he lands in lineup and what he can bring during regular season, but liked the mobility.

    - after that #21 Riley McCutheon - big body, also kind of choppy but could see him in bottom 6 role.

    - William Lemay - did not dress, not sure why - anxious to see him as apparently junior career was one with alot of points (maybe - please some offense???).

    - Good crowd considering exhibition, Sat night, and nice fall day. We'll see as regular season gets going and whether people turn on or turn off to team.

  6. #26
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfantoo View Post
    While I also feel the coaches message is stale (to players, fans, admin) - I'm going to comment on the exhibition game and build off J24VT's comments. Agree with many of your comments and definitely recognize that Guelph was mediocre at best.

    - I thought 1st line (listed below) meshed well and was able to generate. Esposito has a well rounded game and works hard, Cipollone - looks to pick up where he left off last year, and - #17 Jacques Bouquot appeared to be the current best freshman. He skates a little choppy but he gets where he needs to. Seemed to have nice offensive instincts and found himself around the puck all night. Nice finish on the wrist shot for his goal.

    - In terms of freshman (always one of my favorite things to do early season) after #17 Bouquot I liked #7 Simon Boyko - smooth skater always moving. Will need to see if where he lands in lineup and what he can bring during regular season, but liked the mobility.

    - after that #21 Riley McCutheon - big body, also kind of choppy but could see him in bottom 6 role.

    - William Lemay - did not dress, not sure why - anxious to see him as apparently junior career was one with alot of points (maybe - please some offense???).

    - Good crowd considering exhibition, Sat night, and nice fall day. We'll see as regular season gets going and whether people turn on or turn off to team.
    Stream said Lemay was injured
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Article on Lekkas and if he's the best goalie in school history: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/3990657002/

    He's in the conversation but Thomas still takes the mantle I think. You are judged on wins and losses at the end of the day even if it's not your fault. Also interesting note Clarkson's goalie Marotte the grad transfer from Robert Morris is a Rice High grad playing prep hockey with them. Had some nice numbers at RMU and made 70 saves in a weekend series vs Michigan where the Knights went 1-0-1. Let's see if the self proclaimed impoved Cats actually bring something to the table tomorrow.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,022

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    Article on Lekkas and if he's the best goalie in school history: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/3990657002/

    He's in the conversation but Thomas still takes the mantle I think. You are judged on wins and losses at the end of the day even if it's not your fault. Also interesting note Clarkson's goalie Marotte the grad transfer from Robert Morris is a Rice High grad playing prep hockey with them. Had some nice numbers at RMU and made 70 saves in a weekend series vs Michigan where the Knights went 1-0-1. Let's see if the self proclaimed impoved Cats actually bring something to the table tomorrow.
    Best goalie in history? I won't say he's not in the conversation but both Thomas and Fallon sit above him in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokydad View Post
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

  9. #29
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    Article on Lekkas and if he's the best goalie in school history: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/3990657002/

    He's in the conversation but Thomas still takes the mantle I think. You are judged on wins and losses at the end of the day even if it's not your fault. Also interesting note Clarkson's goalie Marotte the grad transfer from Robert Morris is a Rice High grad playing prep hockey with them. Had some nice numbers at RMU and made 70 saves in a weekend series vs Michigan where the Knights went 1-0-1. Let's see if the self proclaimed impoved Cats actually bring something to the table tomorrow.
    Yeah it's an interesting convo w/r/t Stef. He's got the volume and rate numbers (especially if he has another season like last with the rate numbers) but has not had the team success of Thomas, Madore, or Fallon (don't know enough about the early days to talk about a guy like Reece), though I'm not sure how much that should be held against him; it's not his fault the team's offense has been anemic these last two years. He's the classic case of a 'hold your hand through the darkness' guy, a phrase i'm borrowing from Cespedes Family BBQ. Basically a dude that's really good and happy to be there (which Stef clearly loves UVM) even though the team is bad/rebuilding and gives people a reason to watch said bad teams.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

  10. #30
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,446

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Glanced at the game every now and again as I watched the Yankees game. Seemed like a typical UVM game of the last several seasons — we played pretty well, probably should have won, but ended up losing. Haven’t seen the stats, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the number of face-offs we lost.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Glanced at the game every now and again as I watched the Yankees game. Seemed like a typical UVM game of the last several seasons — we played pretty well, probably should have won, but ended up losing. Haven’t seen the stats, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the number of face-offs we lost.
    truly typical indeed! heck even if they won remember they beat a rank Michigan team and we all thinking wow maybe they would be good and that did not turn out! of course tonight they get a team they should beat up on as PC hang 6 and shut out on St Lawrence but that could easy be a close game than think
    Also notice on Clarkson Harald Egle - he played for Green Mtn Glades and was UVM commit and then UVM said he could not make the grades so he ends up at CLARKSON! haha okay Sneddy. Kid had a nice career there so lucky him!

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Didn't watch because there were a lot more better sports options on last night but it looks like they had a hard time getting the win and were outplayed much of the game. Was 1-0 until an empty netter. Win is a win but that isn't convincing especially against a team that likely won't win many games in SLU. If they don't nab any wins next weekend I'll go out on a limb and say the apathy for the season will be already in late-season form.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    264

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    First period was the worst period of hockey I have ever seen at Gutterson.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by j24vt View Post
    First period was the worst period of hockey I have ever seen at Gutterson.
    With Sneddon remaining at the helm, things will only get worse.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    142

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by VTALUM View Post
    With Sneddon remaining at the helm, things will only get worse.
    According to burlington free press Ted Ryan he says its because he has no NHL picks to help with the skill and thats why they lost this mans excuses keep being insanity! whos fault is that Sneddyboy? way to once more throw your team under bus the team you put together! just shows you the rumors are true he does not watch these guys until they arrive on campus probably! If they do not get it together against Quinnipac the season is already over! they might not win a game until December!

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    264

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    I am really tired of hearing about how many shots the forwards blocked as if that is a good thing. Kind of like being excited that your safety is leading the team in tackles. A blocked shot has never won a hockey game. Goals win hockey games.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,702

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Weekend Preview: Vermont Catamounts

    https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...atamounts.html
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


    ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

    ECAC Tournament Champions
    2016

    NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

    NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

    https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

  18. #38
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
    According to burlington free press Ted Ryan he says its because he has no NHL picks to help with the skill and thats why they lost this mans excuses keep being insanity! whos fault is that Sneddyboy? way to once more throw your team under bus the team you put together! just shows you the rumors are true he does not watch these guys until they arrive on campus probably! If they do not get it together against Quinnipac the season is already over! they might not win a game until December!
    Regarding NHL picks, Misley is one as I recall. He came in with a lot of fanfare and has done squat under Sneddon’s tutelage.

  19. #39
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Regarding NHL picks, Misley is one as I recall. He came in with a lot of fanfare and has done squat under Sneddon’s tutelage.
    Plus one NHL pick decommitted after KS elected to ditch Wallack. He's going to Harvard after winning the USHL scoring title. we could reaaaaaaaaaally have used a guy like that
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

  20. #40
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

    Quote Originally Posted by j24vt View Post
    I am really tired of hearing about how many shots the forwards blocked as if that is a good thing. Kind of like being excited that your safety is leading the team in tackles. A blocked shot has never won a hockey game. Goals win hockey games.
    Blocked shots are good... situationally. Like if the goalie's down and the net's ajar, you're obviously going to try your ****edest to keep the puck out. If you have a high volume of blocked shots, you don't have the puck, you're not generating chances, you're getting outplayed...
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •