Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM Catamounts 2019/20

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    No offense to Jerry Tarrant or Ian Boyce but hiring any of them would be a disaster. Not a lick of coaching experience among them and taking the job is a paycut for both! Same goes for mentioning alums like Aaron Miller or Toby Ducolon who are coaching high school. We all know that's not the same. Fact that they are being brought up though shows how little UVM has to show for alums in the coaching ranks outside Ducharme which stinks because Lowell and Northeastern hired alums and look where they are now. Bill Kangas has been at Williams for nearly 30 years and he might be the only other alum coaching at the college level. He's not taking the job either and shouldn't.

Would be nice if Lang from AIC were available but he turned down SLU and I'd even take Ellsworth at Norwich. It'll be a large assortment of current college assistants perhaps a few D3 head coaches and maybe some AHL/NHL ones who have college ties or coaching at that level.
    As a longtime yellowjacket fan and alum. It would be a huge loss for AIC. coach Lang took the WORST team in college hockey and made them an NCAA tournament team in just 3 years...

Comment

you'd be lucky to have cam ellsworth as your coach-

Comment

Too bad it's not like the NHL where we could tank for a high draft pick...

Comment

Alright it is time to pull the plug on this sh1t show and bring in an interim head coach or promote an assistant for the remainder. Why wait???

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
            Alright it is time to pull the plug on this sh1t show and bring in an interim head coach or promote an assistant for the remainder. Why wait???
            I am sure his pension is fine after all these years and Schulman is not a recruit anymore and is actually in charge so maybe can put on his big boy pants.

Comment

I am sure his pension is fine after all these years and Schulman is not a recruit anymore and is actually in charge so maybe can put on his big boy pants.
              How do you go from a waiting list season ticket program to a half filled barn and no interest and not realize something is wrong. Schulman should be fired too!! His saving grace is the basketball program which exceeds in a state and environment where it has no business being as good as it is but has excelled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                Too bad it's not like the NHL where we could tank for a high draft pick...
                We can tank for a new coach....

Comment

Sneddon has already checked out. He no longer does the mid-week press conference, he no longer talks to the press after games and he doesn't even talk to the friendly, UVM play-by-play guy after the games. What is there left say? The only thing left for him to do is to make the kids' season miserable.
                  Last edited by grantfan; 12-14-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Yikes! This season has somehow gone even worse than I feared. I think they need to make a change after the holidays. Bring in an interim for the rest of the season. I have never been super anti Sneddon, and I think some of the comments on here in the past have been over the top, but it is definitely time to make a change. Really sad to see how far this program has fallen. I remember being at their first HE game in '05 when they looked head and shoulders better than Providence. How things have changed!

In no particular order my favorites for a new coach would be: Mayotte, Barr, Ellsworth. I think all three would be great. There are lots of quality assistants out there and UVM is still a really good first head coaching job. There are no alums who make any sense to hire. Also, they can't just bring in another 'Good Hockey Man' who is has been involved in the program for years. It is time for a new voice that isn't connected with the university. I really hope they get this right!

Does anyone know the rules regarding coaching changes and NLI's? I would hate to lose Lucas Mercuri and Ronan Walsh as recruits.
                    Last edited by NYCatamount; 12-07-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYCatamount View Post
                      Yikes! This season has somehow gone even worse than I feared. I think they need to make a change after the holidays. Bring in an interim for the rest of the season. I have never been super anti Sneddon, and I think some of the comments on here in the past have been over the top, but it is definitely time to make a change. Really sad to see how far this program has fallen. I remember being at their first HE game in '05 when they looked head and shoulders better than Providence. How things have changed!

In no particular order my favorites for a new coach would be: Mayotte, Barr, Ellsworth. I think all three would be great. There are lots of quality assistants out there and UVM is still a really good first head coaching job. There are no alums who make any sense to hire. Also, they can't just bring in another 'Good Hockey Man' who is has been involved in the program for years. It is time for a new voice that isn't connected with the university. I really hope they get this right!

Does anyone know the rules regarding coaching changes and NLI's? I would hate to lose Lucas Mercuri and Ronan Walsh as recruits.
                      I wouldn’t put too much effort into learning the rules re: coaching changes. It’s likely Sneddon already has a signed contract extension/renewal in place. We’ll hear about it after a late season, heroic tie of Merrimack (salvaging one point out of four on the weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by NYCatamount View Post

Over the top maybe but it turned out to be right. Even the most staunch Sneddon defenders I've known they can't defend this. I'd love to see them just send the guy packing as a Christmas gift for everyone but UVM will make him ride out the season especially with a expiring deal...I'm still not convinced he doesn't have another deal on the table until he's actually gone. The moment the season ends Schulman should tell him to pack up so he can jumpstart the process of finding a new coach.

As for the NLIs if they've signed them and players want out they should let them out. Bad business to force players into staying around after a coaching change and would negatively impact the team going forward and make things hard for the new coach. Whether they come or not is irrelevant since it is clear rock bottom is here and year 1 and 2 of any new coach is going to have to totally rebuilt the entire culture of the program.

Barr, Mayotte and Ellsworth are solid choices. I think you have to try and see what it might take to get Lang from AIC to come up here. Maybe Rolston the other Providence assistant or Potulny the Northern Michigan coach who looks like he has them trending in the right direction and probably not on a big budget. I feel like Seth Appert is going to be a candidate for this job which is ho-hum but maybe USA hockey time has a new outlook for him. Have to be a few wildcards and diamonds in the rough out there and you have to hope Schulman surrounds himself with smart people on a committee to find them.

Comment

Over the top maybe but it turned out to be right. Even the most staunch Sneddon defenders I've known they can't defend this. I'd love to see them just send the guy packing as a Christmas gift for everyone but UVM will make him ride out the season especially with a expiring deal...I'm still not convinced he doesn't have another deal on the table until he's actually gone. The moment the season ends Schulman should tell him to pack up so he can jumpstart the process of finding a new coach.

As for the NLIs if they've signed them and players want out they should let them out. Bad business to force players into staying around after a coaching change and would negatively impact the team going forward and make things hard for the new coach. Whether they come or not is irrelevant since it is clear rock bottom is here and year 1 and 2 of any new coach is going to have to totally rebuilt the entire culture of the program.

Barr, Mayotte and Ellsworth are solid choices. I think you have to try and see what it might take to get Lang from AIC to come up here. Maybe Rolston the other Providence assistant or Potulny the Northern Michigan coach who looks like he has them trending in the right direction and probably not on a big budget. I feel like Seth Appert is going to be a candidate for this job which is ho-hum but maybe USA hockey time has a new outlook for him. Have to be a few wildcards and diamonds in the rough out there and you have to hope Schulman surrounds himself with smart people on a committee to find them.
                          Good post... Barr would be my choice. I would go with interim coach until end of the year.. I think the kids need a break and just getting rid of Sneddon might change things up.. if you are going to change the culture do it now.. waiting won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                            Good post... Barr would be my choice. I would go with interim coach until end of the year.. I think the kids need a break and just getting rid of Sneddon might change things up.. if you are going to change the culture do it now.. waiting won't help.
                            I think Barr deserves an opportunity but the only drawback for me would be is he more than just a recruiter? I don't know what his approach is to game plannning and management and tactics and all that. All for getting high level recruits or finding the right guys but they have to get better while they're here and that has to translate to wins. That's something you want the supposed experts in the athletic department to figure out.

Only reason I don't do interim coach is because it would be that Kevin Patrick guy who is just as much a part of the problem and as I understand it doesn't have the respect of the players either. So that leaves...Jeff Hill? As much as people want it they won't dole out funds to bring in someone from the outside and nobody is going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts either. It's not like pro sports where you can just bring in someone to finish out the year.

Comment

I think Barr deserves an opportunity but the only drawback for me would be is he more than just a recruiter? I don't know what his approach is to game plannning and management and tactics and all that. All for getting high level recruits or finding the right guys but they have to get better while they're here and that has to translate to wins. That's something you want the supposed experts in the athletic department to figure out.

Only reason I don't do interim coach is because it would be that Kevin Patrick guy who is just as much a part of the problem and as I understand it doesn't have the respect of the players either. So that leaves...Jeff Hill? As much as people want it they won't dole out funds to bring in someone from the outside and nobody is going to do it out of the goodness of their hearts either. It's not like pro sports where you can just bring in someone to finish out the year.
                              Barr coordinates the D. Umass D led the nation in scoring and overall D was 5th best .. Interim is tough.. but toxic is equally as tough..

Comment

After tonight.. let them coach themselves..

Comment

Working...
                                X