Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: LSSU Lakers 2019-20

Re: LSSU Lakers 2019-20

I am disappointed, but I still believe Lake State can finish top 3 in the WCHA.

At the beginning of the season I thought offensively we would struggle but defensively be strong. In actuality, the Lakers have been fine offensively but struggling defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yeah, but aside from Merrimack it has been a very tough schedule. Denver is ranked 1st in the county (2nd when we played them), Notre Dame is ranked 5th, and playing at Michigan with their talent is never easy.

The team has to play better defensively, both D-men and forwards. I thought Notre Dame really exploited the weak side on offense. We didn't pay enough attention there. And their forwards had too easy of a time getting open in front of the net.
    I thought out of 6 games with Denver,Michigan,and Notre Dame,the Lakers would be able to pull out one victory if not 2 and that is what makes this worse then I thought it would be . The defense was suppose to be the backbone of the team this year and so far we have seen no backbone .

Does anyone know if Gelsinger will be out for the year due to his injury?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Dude View Post
    Does anyone know if Gelsinger will be out for the year due to his injury?
    Damon has said a couple of times on the hockey show that they are awaiting more word about Gelsinger and his injury. My guess is that he's either out for the year, or he may be able to play late in the season if his recovery goes faster than expected. He could take a medical red shirt and come back next season but I don't know if he would do that, especially if he's getting his degree next Spring.

Veteran

A little more on Gelsinger from the Laker Hockey Talk show this morning. Without talking about his specific injury, Damon said that they hoped to hear in a month to a month and a half whether Gelsinger will be able to play this season.

The lakers need two wins this weekend .

Ugh, I hope that second period doesnít cost the Lakers. Hard to have success taking 4 penalties in a period.

5-4 OT win. It wasnít pretty but Iíll take the win!

Nice to win but *** another 4 goals given up again. Doesn't help taking bone headed penalties as well. Lakers will be towards the bottom of the WCHA standings if they keep giving up so many goals.

Exciting finish for sure . Still giving up to many goals .

Veteran

I caught most of the game on the YesFM radio stream. It sounded like the Lakers played pretty well defensively for the first half of the game. Not so much the last half of the game.

I caught most of the game on the YesFM radio stream. It sounded like the Lakers played pretty well defensively for the first half of the game. Not so much the last half of the game.
    Penalties hurt the Lakers. The 2nd would have been completely different if they didnít put themselves in that position. Then when the Lakers got up 4-2 in the 3rd, I think they felt like it was over and Ferris capitalized in part because of a dumb Humitz penalty.

Humitz had a strange night. Stopped on a penalty shot (awarded after the Ferris player gloved the puck and threw it), fanned on a breakaway, and committed a costly penalty late. And then redemption scoring the OT winner on a great shot with 16 seconds left in OT.

Zero goals combined first half of the game but 9 goals combined the second half of the game. Very strange.

Nice to see the Lakers get a sweep at home against a team the Lakers should beat twice seeing Ferris State is picked to finish towards the bottom. Also nice to see the Lakers have 2 Saturday night home wins already. Last season we didn't get our first Saturday night home win until mid February.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Nice to see the Lakers get a sweep at home against a team the Lakers should beat twice seeing Ferris State is picked to finish towards the bottom. Also nice to see the Lakers have 2 Saturday night home wins already. Last season we didn't get our first Saturday night home win until mid February.
    Yeah, they did what they needed to do although the last few minutes of each game left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.

Let's hope Nordqvist isn't hurt too bad. We're already without our fastest skater at forward (Gelsinger). Nordqvist is our fastest skater at D. Should have some news about him by this week's Laker Hockey Show.

Yeah, they did what they needed to do although the last few minutes of each game left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.

Let's hope Nordqvist isn't hurt too bad. We're already without our fastest skater at forward (Gelsinger). Nordqvist is our fastest skater at D. Should have some news about him by this week's Laker Hockey Show.
    I hope there is a suspension handed down to Ferris. They play dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNVCYe4UlNA

I decided to upload the kneeing penalty (Lutz on Nordqvist) since I really do think it needs more visibility for those who haven't seen it. The WCHA ought to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by lakersparty View Post

I decided to upload the kneeing penalty (Lutz on Nordqvist) since I really do think it needs more visibility for those who haven't seen it. The WCHA ought to do something.
    Wow. That does look bad. The weird part is, Lutz only had 10 PIM in his first 3 years at Ferris. Not a guy you'd expect to do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lakersparty View Post

Ferris had 2 players each take majors + game, and get a suspension each of the last two weeks going into the previous weekend. This weekend made 4 in three weeks with the second ejection.

The WCHA should really be taking a look at the program in general, I think. I mean, 4 majors in 3 weeks? that seems a bit excessive.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Thread Information