Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    The first is that, as ARM has mentioned, the back end of the defensive corps is not up to the usual standards. After Steffen and Rowe, there's a significant drop off. The S. Potomak/Heise/Zumwinkle kept finding empty space in the Badger zone and taking advantage. In a universe in which hooking and holding were penalties, they would have had a serious problem, because those were the only ways most of the defensemen could keep from getting run over by Amy Potomak. Right now, LaMantia and Buchbinder are liabilities, and Bowlby had a rough weekend. I didn't see Edwards and Grant on the ice enough to get a good feel for their games.
    I agree that there is a bigger stratification of UW blue-line players than was the case last year. However, I see the top four as being Steffen, Buchbinder, Bowlby, and LaMantia. They have varying strengths, but I would guess that these are the four that the coaches would want on the ice a crunch time. Rowe obviously has more size than someone like LaMantia, so she can match up better against a Heise, Zumwinkle, or A. Potomak in front of her own net, but she isn't as mobile.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Interesting to read the detailed thoughts. I tend to agree with what was said. First time seeing them this year. They did look sloppier than last year. I thought Edwards made some nice plays but noticed a few sloppy passes too. Maurmann was sure fun to watch though. I hope to catch them at some of the other state of MN road trips, not sure if I'll catch them in Madison this year , I missed them the couple times I've been down. I hope to be in Madison for volleyball regionals (if WI hosts) but hockey teams are on break then. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        The second issue may not come up very often, but it did this weekend: Watts looks like an awkward fit for a Mark Johnson team. She has one elite, world class skill that I could see: she can be lethal in transition. Once Wisconsin was set up in the offensive zone, she looked good but not great. She isn't an especially good forechecker, and her play in the defensive zone is best described as "indifferent."
        Having only seen Watts play against marginal opponents, I have to say that from that perspective I thought she was doing a very good job at the forecheck and playing D. Unfortunately those types of opponents are all I will see until the end of January, though I may have to find a way to watch the Hawvawd/BC games. I'm doubtful those 2 are in the same plane as MN.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Not much cookin about this season right now, so I took a loot @ D and G for next year (I really like thinking about the future). There are no D coming in that I am aware of, so MJ is running with what he has now.....Buchbinder, Bowlby, Lamantia, Edwards, Grant, Kotlowski. The following year only Harvey is on the radar, so they would be down to 5.

On the goalie front, it will be the Blesi/Kronish show for 2 more years. There no goalie on the radar until 2023 when McNaughton arrives. 2022/2023 there is no goalie on the roster at all. I suppose with Webster and O'Brien on the roster maybe they won't need one.

He really doesn't have much of a history of bringing in late bloomers at all. He does have more of a recent history with transfers (Kepler, Campbell, Watts) so the next 12 months will be interesting in regards to the D and G spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            and G spots.
            Using that phrase...Maybe rethink that?
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              Using that phrase...Maybe rethink that?
              Disclaimer.....the below post referring to what is posted above is strictly about hockey and the position of goalie i.e. goaltender. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

He does have more of a recent history with transfers (Kepler, Campbell, Watts)
                Kepler and Campbell are both, in their own ways, 'special cases' (which I guess would make Watts a 'special case', as well). I don't know that any of them indicate any increasing reliance on transfers in general.

Comment

Not much cookin about this season right now, so I took a loot @ D and G for next year (I really like thinking about the future). There are no D coming in that I am aware of, so MJ is running with what he has now.....Buchbinder, Bowlby, Lamantia, Edwards, Grant, Kotlowski. The following year only Harvey is on the radar, so they would be down to 5.
                  I saw Caroline Harvey play this past summer in the Beantown tournament. She's an outstanding talent, one of the top D in her class.
                  THINK PINK
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    Kepler and Campbell are both, in their own ways, 'special cases' (which I guess would make Watts a 'special case', as well). I don't know that any of them indicate any increasing reliance on transfers in general.
                    I agree, he's just been able to stumble into the right players at the right time. I will always wonder how Cece would have fared as the starting goalie.

Comment

Yes, only about one transfer per season at the Clarkson of the West.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                        Yes, only about one transfer per season at the Clarkson of the West.
                        Every other season.....

Comment

Every other season.....
                          Or, every time a DI program folds, or when a 'home grown' kid wants to transfer home.

(And according to our friends from Minn, there are quite rarely any 'home grown' kids, in the first place, so....)

Comment

(And according to our friends from Minn, there are quite rarely any 'home grown' kids, in the first place, so....)
                            I think that it was just me, so that would make it "friend" singular. And for the record, it was in jest. I will stipulate that Wisconsin has done quite nicely in adding talent from with its borders.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              I think that it was just me, so that would make it "friend" singular. And for the record, it was in jest. I will stipulate that Wisconsin has done quite nicely in adding talent from with its borders.
                              No. it is clearly a matter of fact that more (way more) players come out of Minnesota than Wisconsin in general, or Madison in particular.

And that is part of what makes Kepler's transfer an 'event' not at all likely to recur on any sort of regular basis.

(Likewise for the circumstances surrounding Campbell's arrival in Madison. That's my point.)

Comment

No. it is clearly a matter of fact that more (way more) players come out of Minnesota than Wisconsin in general, or Madison in particular.

And that is part of what makes Kepler's transfer an 'event' not at all likely to recur on any sort of regular basis.

(Likewise for the circumstances surrounding Campbell's arrival in Madison. That's my point.)
                                Yep, we get it. The deal is this: you get 160-200 points spread over 2 years, we get to pull your chain about it. I would rather have your side of that deal, but those are the cards we were dealt.

Comment

Working...
                                X