Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

I am officially concerned about UW's top heavy scoring. The top line F have 16G 43 pts, the rest of the F have 10G 15 pts. The D have 22 pts. There's no creativity presence on those 3 lines. They are very responsible defensively and can hem people in, but not a lot of wow scoring factor. Norby and Curl are in tremendous slumps with 3 combined goals on 60 shots. They aren't getting in high percentage situations. Maybe for the LUI series they toy with all 4 lines. The top line won't be able to sustain this pace. There's no way the PP will stay above 50% and they do get pts off of that. They will need other F to be able to produce. It will be interesting to see in a few weeks how the rodents deal with that line, if they are still together. I suspect they will be.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I am officially concerned about UW's top heavy scoring. The top line F have 16G 43 pts, the rest of the F have 10G 15 pts. The D have 22 pts. There's no creativity presence on those 3 lines. They are very responsible defensively and can hem people in, but not a lot of wow scoring factor. Norby and Curl are in tremendous slumps with 3 combined goals on 60 shots. They aren't getting in high percentage situations. Maybe for the LUI series they toy with all 4 lines. The top line won't be able to sustain this pace. There's no way the PP will stay above 50% and they do get pts off of that. They will need other F to be able to produce. It will be interesting to see in a few weeks how the rodents deal with that line, if they are still together. I suspect they will be.
      This has been my chief takeaway from the first couple of weeks. It's getting to the point where I don't expect any real offensive pressure if lines 2-4 are on the ice. Watts, SS and Roque are phenomenal. I don't think you want to have to break that trio up. But, you might have to at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSmooth View Post
        This has been my chief takeaway from the first couple of weeks. It's getting to the point where I don't expect any real offensive pressure if lines 2-4 are on the ice. Watts, SS and Roque are phenomenal. I don't think you want to have to break that trio up. But, you might have to at some point.
        30 goals scored so far; 16 by the first line, 14 by others (though that gets skewed a bit when you mix in PP units, etc.). First line generally gets 40% of the overall ice time? 50%?

Shots taken by line are 76, 69, 30, 20. You can argue that the first line in making more of their chances, they are simply 'better shots', etc. And to an extent that is true. You could also argue that the second line has been a little unlucky.

I'm not concerned.
        Last edited by robertearle; 10-15-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Shots taken by line are 76, 69, 30, 20. You can argue that the first line in making more of their chances, they are simply 'better shots', etc. And to an extent that is true. You could also argue that the second line has been a little unlucky.
          These are some excellent numbers for look at. I contend that the 2nd line isn't unlucky but not just as talented as the first line, which isn't a cut on anyone, the lines and scoring bear that out. Norby has to have a bad luck streak right now, she's shooting .029, last year she was .078, the year before .074. Maybe she should shoot less and look to pass more?

A case for breaking up the superline. Look at Curl. Last year she played with SS and Roque and her shooting % was .14. This year it's .080. She's not being put into prime scoring chances by her linemates. She's also playing C and not W, in which may take some time for her to grow into the C role. On the other hand, can UW win it all with a dominate line like that? OSU couldn't stop them, will UM or some Eastern team be able to?

Comment

On the other hand, can UW win it all with a dominate line like that? OSU couldn't stop them, will UM or some Eastern team be able to?
            One cannot predict with any degree of certainty, but based on early results it doesn't appear that any team is capable of shutting them down completely, especially over a weekend series. The real question may be, can the arguably better-balanced Gophers (or other top team) outscore the Badgers when that star-studded No. 1 line is not on the ice? I guess we'll find out in a little less than three weeks.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              The real question may be, can the arguably better-balanced Gophers (or other top team) outscore the Badgers when that star-studded No. 1 line is not on the ice? I guess we'll find out in a little less than three weeks.
              Looking very forward to it. The 2 and 3 lines are solid defensively, so maybe a deeper rodent team still can't score on them, but they won't get scored on either. It's at MN so Frosty gets to dictate who faces who. It will also be interesting to see which of the Fr D get more PT.

Comment

Looking very forward to it. The 2 and 3 lines are solid defensively, so maybe a deeper rodent team still can't score on them, but they won't get scored on either. It's at MN so Frosty gets to dictate who faces who. It will also be interesting to see which of the Fr D get more PT.
                There are a couple of things that UW should be on the lookout for, when facing an opponent for the first time. LIU has a special deke move that they will not hesitate to try on breakaways - it is known as the 'Long Island Ice Tease'. Also, the noise you will hear when they score a goal: you guessed it, the 'Long Island Sound'. The manner in which the players communicate among themselves is known as the 'Long Island Expressway.'

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                  There are a couple of things that UW should be on the lookout for, when facing an opponent for the first time. LIU has a special deke move that they will not hesitate to try on breakaways - it is known as the 'Long Island Ice Tease'. Also, the noise you will hear when they score a goal: you guessed it, the 'Long Island Sound'. The manner in which the players communicate among themselves is known as the 'Long Island Expressway.'

That is all.
                  The L.I.E. is also known as the Distressway. They may be forced to choose that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post

That is all.
                    A breakaway is probably something the Badger goalie is not going to see.
                    Here are the shots and goals playing UConn:
                    52-14 6-1
                    53-9 4-0
                    My guess is the Badgers will get 60+ shots at least one game, and give up less than 10 at least one game
                    That’s the real drama, can LUI get more shots than the Badgers can score goals.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      52-14 6-1
                      53-9 4-0
                      My guess is the Badgers will get 60+ shots at least one game, and give up less than 10 at least one game
                      I love the chant "More goals than shots!" It's my favorite. I got to do that one when PSU was in town.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        52-14 6-1
                        53-9 4-0
                        I would guess they could have 100 shots if they want - at some point it may get embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
                          I would guess they could have 100 shots if they want - at some point it may get embarrassing
                          More goals than saves! More goals than saves! I can say that I haven't done that one yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathl...te-goal/%3famp

For Athletic subscribers, this is a sweet story about the Posick goal and call.

Comment

It is a...................................Great Day For Hockey!

I will admit this series is a bit of a downer after the OSU series, that one was huge and helpful in figuring out the wwcha and national pecking order. The most interesting thing will be who plays in goal. Will MJ actually start someone not named Soup? He's pretty conservative, I'm guessing not. I don't think she will play 2 complete games. How many minutes goes a goalie have to play to earn a shutout and a W?

Comment

How many minutes goes a goalie have to play to earn a shutout and a W?
                                For a W, I think that she has to be in net when the GWG is scored. For a shutout, she has to play all of the goalie minutes (i.e., you don't lose a SO if you're pulled for an extra attacker for a delayed penalty, but you do if a backup comes in for the final five minutes.)
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X