Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

New coaches and new recruits!

Katie Lachapelle has taken over as the head coach and her work over the last 2 seasons will show on the ice this year.

Meredith Roth is the new Associate Coach. She brings a ton to this program.

From the HC website:

The freshmen, made up of seven new Crusaders, include Carly Beniek, Lily Cataldo, Mary Edmonds, Darci Johal, Kailey Langefels, Paige McArthur, and Sofia Smithson. Bailey Bennett, a junior transfer, will be joining the team after playing her first two years at Colgate University.

Over the course of the last season, the team closed the goal differential gap and should continue to do the same thing this year. The schedule is more difficult than last year so I’m not expecting much of an increase in the win column but I would love to see several more close games this season.

Re: Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

Feels like they will be able to improve upon their 1 win and 3 ties from last year. I have seen the 2 MN kids play for several years and they were both USA hockey National Camp participants when eligible. We will see if they both adapt well to the college game and if the team as a whole makes strides of improvement.

I have seen great results and heard great things about the incoming goalie from the Boston Jr Eagles for the 20/21 season. She was the winning goalie against SSM in the 18/19 Tier 1 championship game. Shots were 46-10 SSM. Beck saved 45 of those shots to help team win 2-1. She also was the only goalie to beat the U19 NAHA champion MN Whitecaps Black last weekend in Burlington.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
      Feels like they will be able to improve upon their 1 win and 3 ties from last year. I have seen the 2 MN kids play for several years and they were both USA hockey National Camp participants when eligible. We will see if they both adapt well to the college game and if the team as a whole makes strides of improvement.

I have seen great results and heard great things about the incoming goalie from the Boston Jr Eagles for the 20/21 season. She was the winning goalie against SSM in the 18/19 Tier 1 championship game. Shots were 46-10 SSM. Beck saved 45 of those shots to help team win 2-1. She also was the only goalie to beat the U19 NAHA champion MN Whitecaps Black last weekend in Burlington.
      Beck is a tremendous keeper and stole the show vs SSM last year!

But as a point of clarification, the box from NAHA is incorrect ...Hope Walinski actually played vs the Whitecaps.

Comment

I was at the Labor Day tournament in Burlington last weekend. The Boston Junior Eagles have 2 HC commits for next year. Lilly Feeney, forward, was very dominant and she led the team in points at the event. You are right the goalie from Nova Scotia, Maddie Beck, is really good and will be a great addition to the program.

I’m hopeful they will get a few more points this season, but they are passing on some easier teams (RIT, RPI and Brown) at the start of the season in favor of playing Colgate, Penn State and SLU.

Comment

Well that first game was a bit rough. Colgate is a very strong team and deserved the win. The first period was the closest, with HC playing hard and Colgate taking it easy and feeling the Crusaders out. Colgate must have gotten a good tLking to during the first intermission because for the rest of the game they put the peddle to the floor and didn’t let up. HC got embarrassed in th second and woke up in the 3rd, but it was too late. Happy they prevented a shutout.

HC rolled the lines the entire game, getting all the new players baptized into D1 hockey. Several of the freshmen looked overwhelmed on the ice. One looked very lost. Bennett, the Colgate transfer, is a good addition to the team.

The returning players should know the level they need to play at and have to stop carrying the puck so much. That said, they struggled to complete passes the entire game and HC failed to clear their zone the entire game. That was frustrating to watch.

Goaltending was strong - 40 shots and 4 went in.... Goalie didn’t get much help from defense.

I’m looking forward to next weekend vs Penn State as everyone has got their feet wet and the coaches can now see what they’ve got to work with for the season.

Comment

I just called the Athletic Department at HC. This weekends games are not being broadcast.... very disappointed. That’s not the way to grow a new program.

Comment

Originally posted by gotanytape View Post
              I just called the Athletic Department at HC. This weekends games are not being broadcast.... very disappointed. That’s not the way to grow a new program.
              I would have loved to see these two games broadcast, good weekend for the program! New players scoring, the goalies continue to be great and the team doesn’t back down.

Bring on BC!

The stats show PSU with the edge over HC but they know they are lucky to have earned a tie in the last 2 minutes of play due to an unfortunate HC penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by gotanytape View Post
                I would have loved to see these two games broadcast, good weekend for the program! New players scoring, the goalies continue to be great and the team doesn’t back down.

Bring on BC!

The stats show PSU with the edge over HC but they know they are lucky to have earned a tie in the last 2 minutes of play due to an unfortunate HC penalty.
                Julia Pelletier stood on her head for Holy Cross tonight - what a job between the pipes! Holy Cross definitely came to play, and play hard.

Comment

After a few more games this season it is apparent that the team is better than last year but not quite at their full D1 potential. keeping in mind that they are only operating with two recruiting classes, the goal differential has definitely been reduced and shots on goal has increased. Unfortunately, the team is struggling to find the back of the net like last year. The team just doesn’t have “that player” in the lineup yet. Hopefully she shows up in the next year or two.

Looking at the remaining games in 2019, Northeastern will have a field day with the team, hopefully not increasing the goal differential too much. I’m sure they are going to not want to be embarrassed like last year. Three games versus Merrimack will hopefully result in a win, loss, and tie. Maine should up and the Crusaders but it won’t be as decisive a victory as last year.

Comment

3 wins and 3 ties!

Northeastern for the 3rd time this season tonight will certainly be a tough game but its on the home sheet.

Several of the freshman are seeing a lot of ice and the difference between the Crusaders and their opponents appear to be narrowing which is fun to see. Scoring appears to be at a premium everywhere as the goalies are getting better and better across the D1, D3, Tier 1, and MN HS.

With a few timely goals and continued solid tending and D the Crusaders might have a chance at making the HE tourney. That would be a great achievement in year #2 for this program.

Comment

With a few timely goals and continued solid tending and D the Crusaders might have a chance at making the HE tourney.
                      You did great versus a young Merrimack team, but as you said, scoring is at a premium, and Holy Cross has only managed a single goal combined in its other nine HEA games. Vermont looks to be your best chance to pass another league team, so it will be key for scoring threats to emerge by February, when you start to play the Catamounts. Maine is also within range, but the Black Bears shut you out the first time and Orono seems to be a tough trip for most teams. Good luck!
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Goals win games.... I’ve got my fingers crossed that next year’s recruiting class has some scorers in it. I know that Lilly Feeney from the BC jr team can find the back of the net and hope there is someone else joining the team that can as well.

I watched 1 period of the NU blowout game and it is apparent to me that it’s still the older, less skilled players causing the majority of the problems. They just don’t have the ability to control thing at the D1 level. They are giving it their all every shift, it’s just not enough to hang in there.

I am trying to find out all the other recruited players for next season, but the usual sites aren’t giving me much info. After this season the team will have 3 recruited classes and the ability to play a full game with recruits.

The coaching staff have the tools to make things work for the program, they just need to build the numbers. It’s fun to watch the program struggle and develop but the measurable gains are apparent. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Comment

Working...
                        X