Thread: Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

New coaches and new recruits!

Katie Lachapelle has taken over as the head coach and her work over the last 2 seasons will show on the ice this year.

Meredith Roth is the new Associate Coach. She brings a ton to this program.

From the HC website:

The freshmen, made up of seven new Crusaders, include Carly Beniek, Lily Cataldo, Mary Edmonds, Darci Johal, Kailey Langefels, Paige McArthur, and Sofia Smithson. Bailey Bennett, a junior transfer, will be joining the team after playing her first two years at Colgate University.

Over the course of the last season, the team closed the goal differential gap and should continue to do the same thing this year. The schedule is more difficult than last year so I’m not expecting much of an increase in the win column but I would love to see several more close games this season.

Re: Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

Feels like they will be able to improve upon their 1 win and 3 ties from last year. I have seen the 2 MN kids play for several years and they were both USA hockey National Camp participants when eligible. We will see if they both adapt well to the college game and if the team as a whole makes strides of improvement.

I have seen great results and heard great things about the incoming goalie from the Boston Jr Eagles for the 20/21 season. She was the winning goalie against SSM in the 18/19 Tier 1 championship game. Shots were 46-10 SSM. Beck saved 45 of those shots to help team win 2-1. She also was the only goalie to beat the U19 NAHA champion MN Whitecaps Black last weekend in Burlington.

Quote Originally Posted by used2lurk View Post
    Feels like they will be able to improve upon their 1 win and 3 ties from last year. I have seen the 2 MN kids play for several years and they were both USA hockey National Camp participants when eligible. We will see if they both adapt well to the college game and if the team as a whole makes strides of improvement.

I have seen great results and heard great things about the incoming goalie from the Boston Jr Eagles for the 20/21 season. She was the winning goalie against SSM in the 18/19 Tier 1 championship game. Shots were 46-10 SSM. Beck saved 45 of those shots to help team win 2-1. She also was the only goalie to beat the U19 NAHA champion MN Whitecaps Black last weekend in Burlington.
    Beck is a tremendous keeper and stole the show vs SSM last year!

But as a point of clarification, the box from NAHA is incorrect ...Hope Walinski actually played vs the Whitecaps.

Quote Originally Posted by used2lurk View Post

I was at the Labor Day tournament in Burlington last weekend. The Boston Junior Eagles have 2 HC commits for next year. Lilly Feeney, forward, was very dominant and she led the team in points at the event. You are right the goalie from Nova Scotia, Maddie Beck, is really good and will be a great addition to the program.

I’m hopeful they will get a few more points this season, but they are passing on some easier teams (RIT, RPI and Brown) at the start of the season in favor of playing Colgate, Penn State and SLU.

Well that first game was a bit rough. Colgate is a very strong team and deserved the win. The first period was the closest, with HC playing hard and Colgate taking it easy and feeling the Crusaders out. Colgate must have gotten a good tLking to during the first intermission because for the rest of the game they put the peddle to the floor and didn’t let up. HC got embarrassed in th second and woke up in the 3rd, but it was too late. Happy they prevented a shutout.

HC rolled the lines the entire game, getting all the new players baptized into D1 hockey. Several of the freshmen looked overwhelmed on the ice. One looked very lost. Bennett, the Colgate transfer, is a good addition to the team.

The returning players should know the level they need to play at and have to stop carrying the puck so much. That said, they struggled to complete passes the entire game and HC failed to clear their zone the entire game. That was frustrating to watch.

Goaltending was strong - 40 shots and 4 went in.... Goalie didn’t get much help from defense.

I’m looking forward to next weekend vs Penn State as everyone has got their feet wet and the coaches can now see what they’ve got to work with for the season.

I just called the Athletic Department at HC. This weekends games are not being broadcast.... very disappointed. That’s not the way to grow a new program.

Quote Originally Posted by gotanytape View Post
    I just called the Athletic Department at HC. This weekends games are not being broadcast.... very disappointed. That’s not the way to grow a new program.
    I would have loved to see these two games broadcast, good weekend for the program! New players scoring, the goalies continue to be great and the team doesn’t back down.

Bring on BC!

The stats show PSU with the edge over HC but they know they are lucky to have earned a tie in the last 2 minutes of play due to an unfortunate HC penalty.

Re: Holy Cross ‘19-‘20

Quote Originally Posted by gotanytape View Post
    I would have loved to see these two games broadcast, good weekend for the program! New players scoring, the goalies continue to be great and the team doesn’t back down.

Bring on BC!

The stats show PSU with the edge over HC but they know they are lucky to have earned a tie in the last 2 minutes of play due to an unfortunate HC penalty.
    Julia Pelletier stood on her head for Holy Cross tonight - what a job between the pipes! Holy Cross definitely came to play, and play hard.

Thread Information