No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

I have ZERO sympathy for Greg Powers. That happens to everyone, almost every game has those and if he thinks the WCHA is bad, I've got news for him..... so it's not just him and his team. I didn't see what Hastings said, but I'd be curious to hear.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I have ZERO sympathy for Greg Powers. That happens to everyone, almost every game has those and if he thinks the WCHA is bad, I've got news for him..... so it's not just him and his team. I didn't see what Hastings said, but I'd be curious to hear.
      What are you referring to?
      When ASU came to Mariucci last year they put on one of the most goonish displays I have seen in a looong time, so I was quite happy to see MSU wipe the floor with them.
      I think Arizona is going to find it a bit tougher going to start this season without an elite top-10-in-the-nation netminder saving their bacon.

EDIT -ok, I read the ASU write-up of what happened.
      Last edited by Stauber1; 10-12-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        What are you referring to?
        When ASU came to Mariucci last year they put on one of the most goonish displays I have seen in a looong time, so I was quite happy to see MSU wipe the floor with them.
        I think Arizona is going to find it a bit tougher going to start this season without an elite top-10-in-the-nation netminder saving their bacon.
        Had a guy floor an msu player at mid ice. Looked like he left his feet and hit him in the head with an elbow. Powers didnt like they got called for a 5 minute. Game went from 1-1 to 3-1.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with the way asu got chippy and whiny. Frankly, I thought the refs were patient more patient with them than they should have been. They were showing up the refs by slamming their sticks on the ice and against the boards when calls didnt go their way. They were taking dumb, chippy penalties because they were frustrated. They just struck me as a immature team that let themselves get taken out of the game when it didnt go their way.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

They started running Gophers left and right once MN went up by two or three last year. Caused a couple injuries. Their clown of a coach whined about the same bull after each game, and their trash Twitter account referred to the injured players (one of which sustained a session-ending injury) as flopping fish. They're a garbage program that's toast without Daccord and I'm happy to watch them fail.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Klosowski is consistently one of the better referees in the conference. Which isnt saying much, granted. But he gets most things right it seems. ASU did goon it up with us last year and I'm curious to see how the series goes this year when they come up north.
            Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

That team is an embarrassment. Horribly dirty, even aside from the egregious 5 minute penalty. Some of it was so pathetically goonish (the last power play goal came after one ASU clown crosschecked Sandelin 3 times in the back of the neck after the whistle and right in front of the ref) that the coach either has no control or is actively pushing this behavior. Since we don’t have to play them, I hope we never do so again.
              Full disclosure: I’m an ASU grad. I can’t imagine how angry other Mav fans are.
              Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 10-13-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

...but the Mag7 would happily take them as the eighth team.

Comment

Well I wasn't actually referring to the goonish stuff per se. More I was referring to what Powers said. He complained about the reffing being inaccurate and too strict on him and a disgrace etc. My point is that every team gets 5 minute penalties called for things they don't view as all that bad. That's just how it is. You have to play thru it. You have to win despite the way the refs are calling it.

And second, the refs do not have it out for a particular team. They do the best they can to call a fair game, but yes they make a lot of mistakes. In last night's Tech game they called a Tech player for spearing, which he most certainly did not do.

My experience is that ECAC refs are way more strict and do a worse job than the WCHA by quite a bit.

The whole ASU act is something else entirely.

Comment

2019-2020 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule
                    -3 AHA Games 2-1-0
                    -11-12 Big10 Games 1-1-0
                    -5 ECAC Games 1-0-0
                    -8 Hockey East Games 2-4-0
                    -28-29 NCHC Games 1-7-2
                    -6 Independent Games 2-0-0
                    -0-2 Interleague games (not included in WCHA non-conference record)
                    -4 Exhibitions (not included in WCHA or team record)
                    TOTAL: 9-13-2 0.409 (72 possible games)

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-4-0)
                    -at Mass-Lowell L 1-5, L 1-3
                    -at Nebraska-Omaha L 1-6, L 0-5
                    -at North Dakota (2)

ALASKA (0-2-0)
                    -Denver L 3-4, L 0-3
                    -at Penn State (2)
                    -Arizona State (2)
                    ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-2-0)
                    -at Maine L 1-7, L 1-2 (OT)
                    -Nebraska-Omaha (2)
                    -at Arizona State (2)

BEMIDJI STATE (0-0-2)
                    -St. Cloud State T 4-4, T 2-2
                    -at North Dakota (2)
                    -vs. Minnesota (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)
                    -vs. Minnesota State/St. Cloud State (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)

BOWLING GREEN (1-2-0)
                    -at Miami W 7-4
                    -vs. RIT (Icebreaker Tournament, Toledo, OH) L 2-3 (OT)
                    -vs Western Michigan (Icebreaker Tournament, Toledo, OH) L 2-5
                    -Western Michigan
                    -at Western Michigan
                    -Notre Dame
                    -at Notre Dame
                    -Miami

FERRIS STATE (1-0-0)
                    -Waterloo (EXH) T 2-2
                    -USNTDP (EXH) W 5-0
                    -Colgate W 3-1
                    -at Miami (2)
                    -Western Michigan
                    -at Western Michigan
                    -vs. Michigan (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
                    -vs. Michigan Tech/Michigan State (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (2-2-0)
                    -Merrimack W 6-2, W 4-3
                    -Denver L 3-1, L 4-3
                    -at Michigan (2)
                    -at Notre Dame (2)

MICHIGAN TECH (2-0-0)
                    -at Robert Morris W 2-1 (OT), W 7-0
                    -at North Dakota (Hall of Fame Game)
                    -Clarkson (2)
                    -vs. Michigan State (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
                    -vs. Ferris State/Michigan (Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI)
                    -at Arizona State (2)

MINNESOTA STATE (2-0-0)
                    -Mount Royal (EXH) W 5-2
                    -Arizona State W 4-1, W 5-0
                    -North Dakota (2)
                    -at Minnesota-Duluth (2)
                    -vs. St. Cloud State (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)
                    -vs. Bemidji State/Minnesota (Mariucci Classic, Minneapolis, MN)

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (1-1-0)
                    -at USNTDP (EXH) W 4-3
                    -Michigan State L 3-5, W 2-0
                    -at Boston University (2)
                    -St. Cloud State (2)
                    -at Cornell (2)
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Well I wasn't actually referring to the goonish stuff per se. More I was referring to what Powers said. He complained about the reffing being inaccurate and too strict on him and a disgrace etc. My point is that every team gets 5 minute penalties called for things they don't view as all that bad. That's just how it is. You have to play thru it. You have to win despite the way the refs are calling it.

And second, the refs do not have it out for a particular team. They do the best they can to call a fair game, but yes they make a lot of mistakes. In last night's Tech game they called a Tech player for spearing, which he most certainly did not do.

My experience is that ECAC refs are way more strict and do a worse job than the WCHA by quite a bit.

The whole ASU act is something else entirely.
                      Sorry, I misread your earlier comment. I was a little fired up! Finally heard Powers' comments yesterday, and then I got fired up again! To believe any call cost them the game is ludicrous. I was going to say ASU was clearly the second best team in the building both nights, but then I remembered there was a high school team there Saturday, so ASU was probably the third best team in the building that night. The shots were 44-14, and I'm not sure any of ASU's 14 shots were high quality. But if the coach is still focused on one (accurate) call against his team, then it makes sense that the players themselves couldn't get past it.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        Sorry, I misread your earlier comment. I was a little fired up! Finally heard Powers' comments yesterday, and then I got fired up again! To believe any call cost them the game is ludicrous. I was going to say ASU was clearly the second best team in the building both nights, but then I remembered there was a high school team there Saturday, so ASU was probably the third best team in the building that night. The shots were 44-14, and I'm not sure any of ASU's 14 shots were high quality. But if the coach is still focused on one (accurate) call against his team, then it makes sense that the players themselves couldn't get past it.
                        I was looking forward to this and hoped it might be a continuing matchup as I'm not apposed to a winter trip to ASU but after all that if I was a head coach/athletic director I'd be hesitant to schedule them if that's the way that team is going to play. It's was cheap and juvenile.
                        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

i don't like ASU.
                          i don't like g. powers.
                          i don't like johnny walker.

and if the mag7 seven are really looking for an eigth team, i hope it's not ASU; i have more sympathy for northern.

but then again, nothing like having a team you hate in your conference. maybe even a team the other seven hate...

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Quite the weekend for the WCHA!

Comment

NMU with a tie and a win over Boston!

Mankato with a tie and a win over North Dakota!

That will help.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Ferris beats Miami and earns a split.
                                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X