No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by hawerchuk View Post
    Argggh, my first post to the forum and I feel like I've stumbled into some sort of 'name that university correctly' hazing ritual. Just to clarify, the "Lakers" in 6th place refers to the Los Angeles Lakers.
    I'm amused. Keep up the good work.
    Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      There are some of us posters on this board who *still* Don't know which name they're using is.

Mankato State?
      Minnesota State?
      Minnesota State University, Mankato?
      Minnesota State University - Mankato?
      Minnesota State Mankato?
      Mankato Normal School?
      1868 Mankato Normal School
      1921 Mankato State Teachers College
      1957 Mankato State College
      1975 Mankato State University
      1998 Minnesota State University, Mankato (It's only been 21 years, so I can see how some of you would have difficulty making the adjustment.)

And those "Coach" jokes just never get old. Really clever.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        1868 Mankato Normal School
        And those "Coach" jokes just never get old. Really clever.
        If Beaver fans have to put up with the same old Beaver jokes year in and year out, Mankato fans can put up with "Coach" jokes.
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
          LOL. Don't worry. Us smaller schools are very defensive about being lumped in with the larger in state schools. We always have to inform people that our university exists, where it's located, and yes, they focus on academics, except Northern Michigan.

Minnesota State's older alumni can't get the name of the school right.
          My pal and I are going to see Alaska play Michigan on October 11th and 12th. I'm not entirely familiar with the state/region so any suggestions on what we should do in Lansing before and after the games would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

My pal and I are going to see Alaska play Michigan on October 11th and 12th. I'm not entirely familiar with the state/region so any suggestions on what we should do in Lansing before and after the games would be greatly appreciated.
            Riot! jk

Not much to do in Lansing. I would suggest East Lansing's HopCat for beer and their *Crack* fries. Crunchy's if you like burgers and college vibe.

Edit, Hawerchuk, you have me all confused. If you are going to see University of Alaska (Fairbanks) play Michigan Tech, you would be in Houghton, MI, not Lansing. They are 8-10 hours apart by car, depending on how you drive.

If you are in Lansing, Old Town is nice for a bit. Generally East Lansing has more going on.
            Last edited by Lost_Husky; 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

When you go to see them play at Alabama, Gallette’s & the Red Shed are two great places in Tuscaloosa!
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                When you go to see them play at Alabama, Gallette’s & the Red Shed are two great places in Tuscaloosa!
                Sorry Davyd83, I couldn't help myself . Quibbling a bit here but I think the appropriate response would have been to substitute Montgomery for Tuscaloosa, otherwise well played. I'll go bug the folks on the Michigan Tech forum to find out what we should do when we visit Houghton on Oct 11th and 12th.

I did want to say that I am a Canadian and just started following U.S. college hockey in the last couple of years. I've found the passion, civility, comedy and fan support on this forum (particularly on the WCHA pages) really refreshing compared to the Canadian pro and junior hockey equivalent where folks tend to be absolutely losing their minds about the coaches, gm's, players etc. on their favourite teams (who knows, maybe y'all save that kind of energy for football).

Comment

...(who knows, maybe y'all save that kind of energy for football).
                  Need some help here from the Huntsville crew, but as a Midwesterner I was taught that “y’all” was singular and the plural was “all y’all.” Hoping a native can clear the up for me.
                  Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 09-19-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                    Need some help here from the Huntsville crew, but as a Midwesterner I was taught that “y’all” was singular and that the plural was “all y’all.” Hoping a native can clear the up for me.
                    Any self-respecting Yooper can tell yous that singular is "you" and plural is "yous".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                      Need some help here from the Huntsville crew, but as a Midwesterner I was taught that “y’all” was singular and the plural was “all y’all.” Hoping a native can clear the up for me.
                      That's correct. The only person around me allowed to say "yinz" is my boss, and only because she signs my timecard.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Unless Michigan is playing in some tournament, you will not see them in Lansing. AA is 90 miles, you might try there.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I've decided those 7 schools are going to get the nickname, " The cowardly 7" I figure you all will know who I mean.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Holy Moly. Alaska-Fairbanks plays Oct 11,12 against Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Shelden Ave is the place to be. Spend all day in the KBC taproom and call out for food delivery. However, I would be interested in your visit to a new restaurant in town, the Den (on Shelden Ave). I haven't been there but I'm interested in several items on the Appetizers list: Roasted Bone Marrow, Duck Nachos, and Duck Fat Popcorn. A food review would be appreciated The Ambassador Restaurant is popular with the younger crowd and alumni. I like The Library Restaurant and Brew Pub (on Isle Royale St, about 100 ft from Shelden Ave). If you want Mexican food, go across the bridge to the town of Hancock and La Cantina. If you want classic Finnish cooking, go to Hancock and Kaleva Cafe. If you like rocks, go to the MTU mineral museum (the official Mineral Museum of the state of Michigan) and see a Guinness World Record 17-ton native copper slab outside (for free) or more stuff inside (admission fee).
                            Last edited by TheDee; 09-19-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              I've decided those 7 schools are going to get the nickname, " The cowardly 7" I figure you all will know who I mean.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Sorry Davyd83, I couldn't help myself . Quibbling a bit here but I think the appropriate response would have been to substitute Montgomery for Tuscaloosa, otherwise well played. I'll go bug the folks on the Michigan Tech forum to find out what we should do when we visit Houghton on Oct 11th and 12th.

I did want to say that I am a Canadian and just started following U.S. college hockey in the last couple of years. I've found the passion, civility, comedy and fan support on this forum (particularly on the WCHA pages) really refreshing compared to the Canadian pro and junior hockey equivalent where folks tend to be absolutely losing their minds about the coaches, gm's, players etc. on their favourite teams (who knows, maybe y'all save that kind of energy for football).
                                Welcome to US College! WCHA rivalries are generally pretty fun! Root like heck for your team during the game end share pregame tailgates and postgame celebrations.!I know the Canadian junior landscape.!Not just team vs team,!but league vs league, Just ask a fan in Guelph or Kitchener what they think of the “Q!”

As for Houghton,!being an area native: KBC, B&B and the DT for beverages, Ambassador for their world famous pizza and Suomi Bakery for breakfast!
                                Last edited by davyd83; 09-20-2019, 12:23 AM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X