Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    I heard BG threatened every AD’s family pets to get them to defect.
    What did BG tell NMU? You'll smash our face into a car windshield, then take the AD's mother out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again?
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Same here. I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.
    He certainly did. He's definitely done his research into the jerseys. I would love to be able to do similar for NMU, but just haven't committed some free time to start. Collecting game worn jerseys has been fun, but I don't know if I could bring myself to flip jerseys like he does. About 80% of my collection are jerseys I would never want to move, the rest are jerseys that I'm not tied to fully, but they still mean a little bit to me and I wouldn't want to move.

Roll along you BG Warriors!

Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    As a college football junkie, I am in love with Tuesday Night MACtion.
    So YOU'RE the lone viewer outside the footprint of the teams playing that night!! You should send your demographic info to ESPN; I bet they'd customize their commercial programming to suit your tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    So YOU'RE the lone viewer outside the footprint of the teams playing that night!! You should send your demographic info to ESPN; I bet they'd customize their commercial programming to suit your tastes.
    You’re underestimating bettors everywhere...

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I think everyone is somewhat disappointed in these events, but I'm not sure what we're supposed to do. In Kato's "regular conference," 2 teams just dropped football. One of them was St. Cloud, which has well over 10.000 students. Sports are expensive, and at our level, there's no great payback. No 50,000 seat arenas, no multimillion dollar television deals, no jerseys on sale in a Minneapolis Wal-Mart. I'd hate to see any of the other 3 schools lose their hockey program, but I'd hate it even more if we get dragged down with them, when we could have saved ourselves by getting out of the WCHA.
    Ummm... aren't you setting attendance records? and record gross revenue from ticket sales?
    And BG, ok and I'm kind of ok with this rivalry, I mean BG does **** but what happened to Miami state teachers college?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Ummm... aren't you setting attendance records? and record gross revenue from ticket sales?
    And BG, ok and I'm kind of ok with this rivalry, I mean BG does **** but what happened to Miami state teachers college?
    Our attendance records are in the 4500 range for average. At $20 a ticket, that's certainly not making us rich. If you're not NoDak or the Gophers, or someone with a good TV contract, you're scraping to get by. Add in trips to Alaska and Alabama, and it's a tough go. We're committed to D1 hockey, but we're not going to let it become a money sinkhole.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Our attendance records are in the 4500 range for average. At $20 a ticket, that's certainly not making us rich. If you're not NoDak or the Gophers, or someone with a good TV contract, you're scraping to get by. Add in trips to Alaska and Alabama, and it's a tough go. We're committed to D1 hockey, but we're not going to let it become a money sinkhole.
    You do know the Alaska schools pay the vast majority of the costs for those trips right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    You do know the Alaska schools pay the vast majority of the costs for those trips right?
    *used to
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMinn, UWisc
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
    NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    You’re underestimating bettors everywhere...
    You’re right, I was being flippant. MACtion is debated from NIU to Buffalo, from CMU to Miami. Consensus is it sucks for the tens of fans who attend. That’s all I was saying.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

• Bemidji State Review (2:40)
    • WCHA vs Top 6/Bottom 4 (9:16)
    • WCHA Top 6 analysis (14:57)
    • MTU Recruiting News (31:14)
    • Ferris State Preview (40:00)
    • WCHA Predicitons (46:24)
    • Questions (47:42)
    • Johnson’s Jerseys Discussion of non-MTU jerseys (53:51)

Next week Geof said he'll join us...right Geof?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Sure. You just gotta get me early in the week (heading out of town ... no escaping it).

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Since you are a fan of Auto Racing, think about it in the context of that:

You have your top teams like Mercedes, and Ferrari. ( Top of B1G, NCHC, HE in our case)
    You have your Mid-tier teams like Red Bull and McClaren (Mid B1G/NCHC/HE, Top WCHA/AH)
    You have your F1 Field Fillers like Haas and Alfa Romeo (Mid & Bottom of WCHA/AH)

In racing, at no point has Mercedes been tasked with keeping Haas around for the "good of the sport". There is a reason privateer teams weren't able to survive past the 1990s. NCAA Hockey is at a similar point. You have your "factory teams" with mega budgets leading the pack while the bottom of the field is trying to get the same end result with just 25% of the factory teams' budgets. Yea, Minardi had a following and it was a cool story when they ran well (think RIT or Bemdji's Frozen Four), but for the most part, they were an after thought.

NCAA Hockey is following the same evolution that Auto Racing has seen over the past 40 years. You either have money or you don't and you have to pay to play. Unfortunately the teams that you are seeking charity from are also the same ones who are having difficulty staying afloat as it is.
    Except in F1 Mercedes and Ferrari are going to be slowed down so they can't spend. In other words, giving up money to the smaller teams.

I get that everyone needs money and there isn't any extra but you have to play against someone. I just hate watching what's happening like in slow motion.
    NCAA is pursuing all these high profile colleges and giving lots of publicity to the high profile teams while at the same time the programs who need help get nothing.

Open question — worse UAH team: 2013-14 or 2019-20?

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Open question — worse UAH team: 2013-14 or 2019-20?

GFM
    You beat NMU this year, so I'll say 13-14.

Right now, PWR:

Minnesota State is at 3
    NMU is at 16
    Bemidji State is at 20
    Michigan Tech is at 29

So right now, from here, it looks like NMU, Bemidji, and/or Tech go on one hell of a run to get three teams in. Because I'm guessing the only way the WCHA even sends two is Minnesota State and a tournament champion not named Minnesota State?
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

According to this week's WCHA Press Release, Mankato and Bemidji have locked up spots in the WCHA playoffs.

https://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...n-heats-up.php
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    According to this week's WCHA Press Release, Mankato and Bemidji have locked up spots in the WCHA playoffs.

https://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...n-heats-up.php
    Yeah looks like MSU has already locked up top 6, and BSU top 7.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Still upright

Here is a theoretical question. Let's say it's two years from now and we have some new league that some of us are in. Let's say further Alaska has these financial problems straight, ( well I can dream) and they now only have 1 school playing hockey, Fairbanks. And let's say They petition the new league for acceptance. What happens then?

Here is a theoretical question. Let's say it's two years from now and we have some new league that some of us are in. Let's say further Alaska has these financial problems straight, ( well I can dream) and they now only have 1 school playing hockey, Fairbanks. And let's say They petition the new league for acceptance. What happens then?
    who the hell knows but 1 team seems to make a huge difference but that depends on what else happens. Has St. Thomas filled that role? has a school like Simon Fraser added hockey? Maybe some eastern D3 schools add hockey and join up with Simon Fraser, UAH, UAA and UAF in a east/west league? idk

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

I don't like to see teams get pushed out and left dying on the vine (John MacInnes' ghost won't sleep well) but I don't see the Severed Seven taking in UA* without major changes. It would blow up their whole idea of blowing up the WCHA to get away from those three.

Unless, of course, it was their intention all along to push UA* to give their teams the resources and support necessary to compete at a level above 45-60 in the NCAA. And also the opportunity to get away from the current WCHA administration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thread Information