Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre season top 10

Re: Pre season top 10

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    But that's why they play the games. See 2014, 2017, 2018.
    I for one would be in favor of NCAA getting rid of that 'play the games' feature of the tournament. It seems that nothing good comes from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    I for one would be in favor of NCAA getting rid of that 'play the games' feature of the tournament. It seems that nothing good comes from it.
    So instead of "play the games" should the 17 of us on the forum just take a vote.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    So instead of "play the games" should the 17 of us on the forum just take a vote.
    I'm not sure if that would increase or decrease the frequency of concussions.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I'm not sure if that would increase or decrease the frequency of concussions.
    My melon is already slush, so I an concussion-proof.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    My melon is already slush, so I an concussion-proof.
    Here is proof...

https://media.giphy.com/media/8Ppl4nQ9VJ2a4/giphy.gif
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

Six months is an eternity in terms of "better in goal". Consider someone like Maddie Rooney: okay as a rookie, improving as a sophomore and great by the end of that season, won Gold the next year, and was inconsistent last year. Compare Campbell to Rigsby, who played almost all of the minutes her first three years but missed some games due to injury as a senior. If it becomes a battle of both teams' second goalie, you may not be as confident. Your opinion that UW is better in goal in September won't necessarily mean it will be true come March.

On paper, UW gains at forward. The Badgers graduated more, but they also added a lot more. I think that the Gophers gain on the blue line. UW won't have any fifth-year seniors this time, and barring injury, UM figures to be stronger at the position than it was last year.

A lot of the separation between the teams was that Wisconsin played better in the postseason; the two teams had been equal to that point. And I thought that a lot of the gain was that Pankowski played better in the tourneys than she had to that point in the H2H.
    Seems like Badgers & Gophers are the consensus 1 & 1A teams. Who is going to be the top 5 players in the WCHA that will be difference makers?

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeynation View Post
    Who is going to be the top 5 players in the WCHA that will be difference makers?
    I find it really difficult to mix forwards and D together and compare their impact (unless you are talking about the type of D who just want to spend half of their shifts skating up with the forwards). So looking just at the returners in PPG from last season, they would rank as: #1 Maltais; #2 Hughes; #3 Roque; #4 Zumwinkle; #5 Shirley. The first four are all above a point a game. Dunne is arguably the most dynamic D in the league if you'd like to include her in the mix.

Watts could be in the top five at the end of the year, but then so could Curl, Heise, or either Potomak. It's also hard to figure out where somebody like DeGeorge fits. She doesn't have the numbers of others, but then she doesn't play with as much offensive talent as they do.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

I find it really difficult to mix forwards and D together and compare their impact (unless you are talking about the type of D who just want to spend half of their shifts skating up with the forwards). So looking just at the returners in PPG from last season, they would rank as: #1 Maltais; #2 Hughes; #3 Roque; #4 Zumwinkle; #5 Shirley. The first four are all above a point a game. Dunne is arguably the most dynamic D in the league if you'd like to include her in the mix.

Watts could be in the top five at the end of the year, but then so could Curl, Heise, or either Potomak. It's also hard to figure out where somebody like DeGeorge fits. She doesn't have the numbers of others, but then she doesn't play with as much offensive talent as they do.
    I like the diversity of the players mentioned. A players value is not solely connected to PPG. Many players make a big impact without the rewards at times.For example Clark's impact with Pankowski last year! Going to be very interested in seeing how Watts fares In the production department in the WCHA. I imagine still will be solid with a very strong team to play with. with all due respect Hockey East is completely different level of overall competition and playing style than in the WCHA.

USCHO preseason poll that came out yesterday for comparison...

1. Wisconsin
    2. Minnesota
    3. Clarkson
    4. Northeastern
    5. Cornell
    6. Princeton
    7. BU
    8. bc
    9. Ohio State
    10. UMD
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

1. Wisconsin
    2. Minnesota
    3. Clarkson
    4. Northeastern
    5. Cornell
    6. Princeton
    7. BU
    8. bc
    9. Ohio State
    10. UMD
    and BTW: UW unanimous at #1, with Minn not quite unanimous at #2.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    and BTW: UW unanimous at #1, with Minn not quite unanimous at #2.
    Obviously the posters here are more in the know than the pollsters in the USCHO poll.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

1. Wisconsin
    2. Minnesota
    3. Clarkson
    4. Northeastern
    5. Cornell
    6. Princeton
    7. BU
    8. bc
    9. Ohio State
    10. UMD

Harvard will face eight of these top ten (1-8, actually), probably an unprecedented (?) opportunity for an un-ranked team, especially one with real potential. (Shucks, a fella could get to like these preseason polls )

Thread Information