Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1003

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

  1. #401
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,256

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Wait, you guys talking hockey or football.��
    Both can be put on both teams

  2. #402
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Wait, you guys talking hockey or football.😀
    Yes

  3. #403
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I kinda doubt that that game will matter one way or the other.
    Odds are it'll matter more to them...

  4. #404
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Difficult to win when the "black hole" defense, special teams and turnovers allows 59 points.
    True enough. The D has been football's Achilles's heel this season, which is a 180 from last year.

  5. #405
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Mass.
    Posts
    678

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Hence why Northeastern typically schedules a joke of an OOC schedule filled to the brim with Atlantic Hockey teams, as an easy path to the big tournament. Sometimes I dont understand why, on the other hand, Boston College schedules such a tough OOC schedule year in and year out.
    You must not realize that most OOC games are scheduled as much four or five years in advance. When NU scheduled 2 home and 2 away games with Union, TheDutchme had recently won the Frozen Four. Who knew that last year’s 20 game winners would lose so much of its scoring punch. This weekend we play 2 at St. Cloud St. They and UMass, our next opponent, were ranked among the top ten last season. Our brim full of Atlantic Hockey consist of Bentley and HC, which recently upset Providence.These are local games teams, which should be scheduled, as is Harvard, who we play in the Beanpot. No joke!
    .
    Kindly check your facts.
    Last edited by Ryecheers; 10-23-2019 at 07:25 PM.

  6. #406
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    I dont know, there is some decent talent, just not enough, depth has been a problem.
    Just getting what there is for talent maximized has not happenned.
    Actually looking forward to get to a game and see what this group looks like.
    i agree. Some "decent" talent, but no high-end talent whatsoever among his recruits (aside from Swayman) to push Maine into NCAA contention.

    Maine has been a day late and a dollar short ever since Red arrived.

  7. #407
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryecheers View Post
    You must not realize that most OOC games are scheduled as much four or five years in advance. When NU scheduled 2 home and 2 away games with Union, TheDutchme had recently won the Frozen Four. Who knew that last year’s 20 game winners would lose so much of its scoring punch. This weekend we play 2 at St. Cloud St. They and UMass, our next opponent, were ranked among the top ten last season. Our brim full of Atlantic Hockey consist of Bentley and HC, which recently upset Providence.These are local games teams, which should be scheduled, as is Harvard, who we play in the Beanpot. No joke!
    .
    Kindly check your facts.
    When did Union join Atlantic Hockey?

    This year NU plays Holy Cross and Bentley, last year Sacred Heart (2) and RIT and two seasons ago the NC schedule included Sacred Heart (2), Bentley (2), AIC and RIT.

  8. #408
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,184

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Is anyone else sick of hearing about this field hockey nonsense? Kent St was always going to look after their own interests. Maine or any other school would do the same.

  9. #409
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Odds are it'll matter more to them...
    Yes, almost certainly, losing to Maine will very likely impact QU's PWR far more than beating Maine.

    It's a bit curious to me that good OOC programs want to play Maine anymore. What's to be gained?
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-23-2019 at 10:30 PM.

  10. #410
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Yes, almost certainly, losing to Maine will very likely impact QU's PWR far more than beating Maine.

    It's a bit curious to me that good OOC programs want to play Maine anymore. What's to be gained?
    Common Opponent. Hopefully you beat Maine and Maine pulls an upset in conference play. And the game RPI for beating anyone is still decent. Losing on the other hand...

  11. #411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,256

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Yes, almost certainly, losing to Maine will very likely impact QU's PWR far more than beating Maine.

    It's a bit curious to me that good OOC programs want to play Maine anymore. What's to be gained?
    This is the Shawn Walsh factor, when Quinnipiac was more or less building up there program Walsh played them, usually always at Alfond but played them no less...as he stated when Maine was starting other programs played Maine...and with that Rand Pecknold a few seasons back at Maine told the same story that he was grateful and would try to continue playing Maine. And this was when Quinnipiac was known as the "Braves".

  12. #412
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    This is the Shawn Walsh factor, when Quinnipiac was more or less building up there program Walsh played them, usually always at Alfond but played them no less...as he stated when Maine was starting other programs played Maine...and with that Rand Pecknold a few seasons back at Maine told the same story that he was grateful and would try to continue playing Maine. And this was when Quinnipiac was known as the "Braves".
    Interesting observation, but Walsh won a huge % of games regardless of who he scheduled.

    When you win around 30 games per year, and play in a strong HEA, your OOC opponents are largely irrelevant, aside from the NCAA seeding.

    I sure do miss those days.

  13. #413
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,256

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Interesting observation, but Walsh won a huge % of games regardless of who he scheduled.

    When you win around 30 games per year, and play in a strong HEA, your OOC opponents are largely irrelevant, aside from the NCAA seeding.

    I sure do miss those days.
    We all miss those days...well we as the ones that witnessed first hand...we were spoiled, but it was a great run...sadly it is not even in the rear view mirror anymore...

  14. #414
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    We all miss those days...well we as the ones that witnessed first hand...we were spoiled, but it was a great run...sadly it is not even in the rear view mirror anymore...
    At least Maine was good in college hockey’s golden age. Hopefully Maine’s resurrection coincides with college hockey’s, but neither looks very likely at the minute. It’s a shame every time I turn on a game and the rink is 75% empty.

  15. #415
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,515

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Interesting observation, but Walsh won a huge % of games regardless of who he scheduled.
    Coach Walsh actually did far better out of conference than in Hockey East conference games.
    OOC 179 games, 130-38-11, 0.757 (132-36-11, 0.768 on ice)
    HEA 418 games, 227-157-34, 0.584 (236-145-37, 0.609 on ice)
    RS 597 games, 357-195-45, 0.636 (368-181-48, 0.657 on ice)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    When you win around 30 games per year, and play in a strong HEA, your OOC opponents are largely irrelevant, aside from the NCAA seeding.
    Coach Walsh averaged 26 (27 on ice) wins per season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I sure do miss those days.
    I also miss those days. Besides the great rivalry between the teams Coach Parker had the slightly better overall and league records for those seasons:
    Overall
    BU, 668 games, 403-213-52, 0.642
    Maine, 694 games, 420-228-46, 0.638
    HE League games
    BU, 431 games, 249-136-46, 0.631
    Maine, 418 games, 236-145-37, 0.609
    Coach Walsh, on the other hand, had the better OOC record and slightly better regular season record:
    OOC games
    Maine, 179 games, 132-36-11, 0.768
    BU, 156 games, 104-47-5, 0.683
    RS games
    Maine, 597 games, 368-181-48, 0.657
    BU, 587 games, 353-183-51, 0.645
    And of course, the postseason battles, with Maine always winning the HE semifinal head-to-heads, but BU beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals, each winning a HE title against the other and, of course, BU beating Maine in the NCAA championship game in Providence.


    Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-24-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

  16. #416
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Coach Walsh actually did far better out of conference than in Hockey East conference games.
    OOC 179 games, 130-38-11, 0.757 (132-36-11, 0.768 on ice)
    HEA 418 games, 227-157-34, 0.584 (236-145-37, 0.609 on ice)
    RS 597 games, 357-195-45, 0.636 (368-181-48, 0.657 on ice)

    Coach Walsh averaged 26 (27 on ice) wins per season.

    I also miss those days. Besides the great rivalry between the teams Coach Parker had the slightly better overall and league records for those seasons:
    Overall
    BU, 668 games, 403-213-52, 0.642
    Maine, 694 games, 420-228-46, 0.638
    HE League games
    BU, 431 games, 249-136-46, 0.631
    Maine, 418 games, 236-145-37, 0.609
    Coach Walsh, on the other hand, had the better OOC record and slightly better regular season record:
    OOC games
    Maine, 179 games, 132-36-11, 0.768
    BU, 156 games, 104-47-5, 0.683
    RS games
    Maine, 597 games, 368-181-48, 0.657
    BU, 587 games, 353-183-51, 0.645
    And of course, the postseason battles, with Maine always winning the HE semifinal head-to-heads, but BU beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals, each winning a HE title against the other and, of course, BU beating Maine in the NCAA championship game in Providence.


    Sean
    Maine and BU were arch-rivals then. There was unadulterated hatred there. And, Hockey East was a dominant conference back then.

    Again, I miss that era.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-24-2019 at 10:59 PM.

  17. #417
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,591

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    "I'll put my twins (Bavis) on your twins (Ferraros) and we'll kick your ***" -- Jack Parker to Red Gendron at the Hockey East preseason meeting in 1992.

  18. #418
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,690

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    "I'll put my twins (Bavis) on your twins (Ferraros) and we'll kick your ***" -- Jack Parker to Red Gendron at the Hockey East preseason meeting in 1992.
    We saw the better twins.

  19. #419
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Mass.
    Posts
    678

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    When did Union join Atlantic Hockey?

    This year NU plays Holy Cross and Bentley, last year Sacred Heart (2) and RIT and two seasons ago the NC schedule included Sacred Heart (2), Bentley (2), AIC and RIT.
    The 2 year H/A series was with Sacred Heart was set up at least 5 years ago. Probably occurred because SH’s coach is an NU alum. RIT invited us to headline their season opening festival. AIC was an improving program which had been asking for a game. I think we had a postponement, so we plugged them into the schedule during the Christmas break.
    The point is that NU is earning more respect each year and has been able schedule stronger teams. We play 2 at St. Cloud this weekend. Those Huskies never lost a game at home last season - although we beat them at Matthews. There are very few OOC cupcakes on our schedule.

  20. #420
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Eastern Mass.
    Posts
    678

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    When did Union join Atlantic Hockey?

    This year NU plays Holy Cross and Bentley, last year Sacred Heart (2) and RIT and two seasons ago the NC schedule included Sacred Heart (2), Bentley (2), AIC and RIT.
    The 2 year H/A series was with Sacred Heart was set up at least 5 years ago. Probably occurred because SH’s coach is an NU alum. RIT invited us to headline the season opening festival. AIC was an improving program which had been asking for a game. I think we had a postponed game so we plugged them into the schedule during the Christmas break.
    The point is that NU is earning more respect each year and has been able schedule stronger teams. We play 2 at St. Cloud this weekend. Those Huskies never lost a game at home last season - although we beat them at Matthews. There are very few OOC cupcakes on our schedule.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •