Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 634

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

  1. #361
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    If they did that they easily could have lost Saturday night. Itís much better to lose a game you should lose than lose a game you should win. Not quite sure why so many people are confused on that point.
    Ok, call me confused. I think it is best to never plan to lose. I prefer a coach that always puts his team in its best position to win. We cannot say this about Gendron.

  2. #362
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,059
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Ok, call me confused. I think it is best to never plan to lose. I prefer a coach that always puts his team in its best position to win. We cannot say this about Gendron.
    Thatís what he was doing last night. This might shock some people but Swayman isnít goin. To be around forever. He even this year he could get hurt or get in trouble. What games would be better than last night to play Thiessen in?

    Also, what are peopleís expectations for this season? I canít see where Maine will be in the NCAA mix which makes last nightís game meaningless. My hope is that Maine has a respectable hockey east finish and itís good to have your backup get some experience in case he is forced to play in some conference games.

  3. #363
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Thatís what he was doing last night. This might shock some people but Swayman isnít goin. To be around forever. He even this year he could get hurt or get in trouble. What games would be better than last night to play Thiessen in?

    Also, what are peopleís expectations for this season? I canít see where Maine will be in the NCAA mix which makes last nightís game meaningless. My hope is that Maine has a respectable hockey east finish and itís good to have your backup get some experience in case he is forced to play in some conference games.
    Playing your rookie goalie for the first time on the road against a Top 10 team is one of the worst games possible to choose. It would have been better to get him in action against Alaska in the comforts of home, or at Vermont next weekend. Im not opposed to Theissen getting starts, what I'm opposed to was the game that was chosen to be his first start.

  4. #364
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    35,484

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Thatís what he was doing last night. This might shock some people but Swayman isnít goin. To be around forever. He even this year he could get hurt or get in trouble. What games would be better than last night to play Thiessen in?

    Also, what are peopleís expectations for this season? I canít see where Maine will be in the NCAA mix which makes last nightís game meaningless. My hope is that Maine has a respectable hockey east finish and itís good to have your backup get some experience in case he is forced to play in some conference games.
    We have zero expectations just like Red

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  5. #365
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,491

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Playing your rookie goalie for the first time on the road against a Top 10 team is one of the worst games possible to choose. It would have been better to get him in action against Alaska in the comforts of home, or at Vermont next weekend. Im not opposed to Theissen getting starts, what I'm opposed to was the game that was chosen to be his first start.
    What you said.

    If Red simply wanted him to get some game experience, the last weekend vs. possibly the worst team in D-1 *might* have made more sense..?

    Gendron could eff up a 2-car parade.

  6. #366
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    6,179

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Playing your rookie goalie for the first time on the road against a Top 10 team is one of the worst games possible to choose. It would have been better to get him in action against Alaska in the comforts of home, or at Vermont next weekend. Im not opposed to Theissen getting starts, what I'm opposed to was the game that was chosen to be his first start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    What you said.

    If Red simply wanted him to get some game experience, the last weekend vs. possibly the worst team in D-1 *might* have made more sense..?

    Gendron could eff up a 2-car parade.
    No need to play a rookie goaltender this early in the season. If there is a huge drive to get the kid some early confidence in playing in a new league, do it against an easier opponent like Alaska or Vermont. After 3 goals on 6 shots in 7 minutes, this kid's development could well have been moved backwards. Not smart at all.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  7. #367
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,059
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    No need to play a rookie goaltender this early in the season. If there is a huge drive to get the kid some early confidence in playing in a new league, do it against an easier opponent like Alaska or Vermont. After 3 goals on 6 shots in 7 minutes, this kid's development could well have been moved backwards. Not smart at all.
    Maineís just not good enough to play him against those teams. All of you are missing the bigger picture.

  8. #368
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Maineís just not good enough to play him against those teams. All of you are missing the bigger picture.
    So you're saying Maine isnt good enough to get him experience against a bad team, so the solution is to play him against a good team? I usually like your analysis Drew, but you're way off the mark on this one.

  9. #369
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,059
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    So you're saying Maine isnt good enough to get him experience against a bad team, so the solution is to play him against a good team? I usually like your analysis Drew, but you're way off the mark on this one.
    Thatís exactly what I mean. I donít like it, and you shouldnít like it, but thatís where Maine is right now.

  10. #370
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    That’s exactly what I mean. I don’t like it, and you shouldn’t like it, but that’s where Maine is right now.
    That just does not cut it...nope. You have your opinion and nothing against it...that's what this thread is all about, thoughts/ideas. But after Maine on Friday beat QU the number #8/#10
    rated team in the early Polls...you go back with Swayman no matter what...you go for that sweep...QU had all the pressure on Saturday and with Swayman in the crease there task would have been a whole lot tougher...no matter how bad Maine is on paper and on the ice, you go for the wins. And as far as playing the Freshman, play him against the likes of Vermont & Merrimack at home with the home crowd behind him, all the under 3000 now a days at Alfond. He knows coming in his starts would be limited and that the key was to get practicing in and learning from Swayman and Michuad(Coach)during the season.IMO this is on Gendron 100%, wins against ranked teams brings on confidence...gets the fans back into it and even as far fetched...maybe catches a recruits eye at coming to Maine(most likely not of late).

  11. #371
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    6,179

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Maineís just not good enough to play him against those teams. All of you are missing the bigger picture.
    Maine beat Alaska 7-1 with Swayman. If they would have lost with Thiessen, then the kid isn't DI material, plain and simple. You don't play to lose, you play to win.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  12. #372
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Maine beat Alaska 7-1 with Swayman. If they would have lost with Thiessen, then the kid isn't DI material, plain and simple. You don't play to lose, you play to win.
    So Thiessen played the second night when the final was 2-1 in OT?

  13. #373
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,149

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    So Thiessen played the second night when the final was 2-1 in OT?
    NO and you know that

  14. #374
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    NO and you know that
    Just making sure.

  15. #375
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,363

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Maine garnered 0 votes in the USCHO poll. Quinnipiac fell to 9th.

  16. #376
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine garnered 0 votes in the USCHO poll. Quinnipiac fell to 9th.
    0 votes? That surprises me a little, I thought they'd pick up at least a few stray votes at the bottom of the poll.

  17. #377
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    So you're saying Maine isnt good enough to get him experience against a bad team, so the solution is to play him against a good team? I usually like your analysis Drew, but you're way off the mark on this one.
    This.

    Thiessen probably had expectations to get 5 starts. Maybe if things went well a rotation.

    Red wants to develop potential nhl guys more than winning.

  18. #378
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    0 votes? That surprises me a little, I thought they'd pick up at least a few stray votes at the bottom of the poll.
    Sarcasm.

    Out scored 12-0 first weekend.

  19. #379
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Sarcasm.

    Out scored 12-0 first weekend.
    Maine is 10th in Pairwise.

    If the season ended today the first round opponent would be...Quinnipiac.

  20. #380
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine is 10th in Pairwise.

    If the season ended today the first round opponent would be...Quinnipiac.
    Then letís end the season today.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 4 guests)

  1. amkirby10,
  2. dwollstadt,
  3. NorthMike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •