Page 1 of 39 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

University of Maine Class of 2020

Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

A new year is dawning in Orono, and the season has the potential to be a volatile one. What are your projections for our Black Bears this coming year?

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Nice title - well done!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Never Forget!

mr-t-prediction

Im tired of seeing Red😁

Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Nice title - well done!
    Thank you! I had been wanting to use that one for a while

Any optimism out there with the new deputy AD? I'm not yet sure what to make of it other than it could be a good step in improving the proffesionalism of the dept. But admittedly know very little about him.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 09-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    Thank you! I had been wanting to use that one for a while
    Great choice.

(I thought about "Better Dead Than Red", but there isn't really a distinction there.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 09-04-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    mr-t-prediction
    That's a good one, too! (Mr. T was a very under-appreciated thespian; we all know that.)

Might as well whistle past the graveyard for yet another year and have some fun with it, if that's humanly possible... I suspect that I'll confront the folly of that approach first-hand in Canton this October, but The Warden's hope springs eternal, and she loves the road-blues.

7th or 8th place finish in Hockey East with 12-14 win total and out of the Playoffs in 2 straight games...quick exit...and after the season Swayman signs deal to go to Boston to start his career honing his skills in the minors...ECHL to AHL and then any ones guess.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    7th or 8th place finish in Hockey East with 12-14 win total and out of the Playoffs in 2 straight games...quick exit...and after the season Swayman signs deal to go to Boston to start his career honing his skills in the minors...ECHL to AHL and then any ones guess.
    If your O/U is 13 wins, I'm taking the under.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Either way under 13 means a very long/long season...which I expect...not that I will like it mind you but the recipe is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Comfortably under in my mind.

The real question is who wins more games?

Menís Hockey or Football?

Never Forget!

12 wins. 6th place in Hockey Least. First round sweep by Northeastern or Providence.

A new year is dawning in Orono, and the season has the potential to be a volatile one. What are your projections for our Black Bears this coming year?
    Iíve got mixed feelings. Iíll start off by saying Iím incredibly disappointed in who Red chose to bring in up front. If Maine could trade Dawe, Holesinsky, and Drobot for Breen, Mayers, and Needham Iíd be very excited about this year.

With all that being said, I think there are some things to feel good about. Maine should have itís best goaltending since 2004. Red has done a good job finding dmen and Iím confident even though this yearís group is inexperienced they will be solid. Maine should be able to have a really good first line with Fossier and Tralmaks.

After that first line though I donít feel great about getting a lot of scoring from the other three. Maine has a pretty easy schedule and assuming Maine throws away a few games and is underwhelming in others I still think they should finish somewhere around 14 wins and finish around fifth in Hockey East. Itíd be great if this was the year Maine performed above expectations, but that isnít what weíve see during Redís time. I foolishly bought tickets for opening night against Providence and am starting to get excited for the season against my better judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Iíve got mixed feelings. Iíll start off by saying Iím incredibly disappointed in who Red chose to bring in up front. If Maine could trade Dawe, Holesinsky, and Drobot for Breen, Mayers, and Needham Iíd be very excited about this year.

With all that being said, I think there are some things to feel good about. Maine should have itís best goaltending since 2004. Red has done a good job finding dmen and Iím confident even though this yearís group is inexperienced they will be solid. Maine should be able to have a really good first line with Fossier and Tralmaks.

After that first line though I donít feel great about getting a lot of scoring from the other three. Maine has a pretty easy schedule and assuming Maine throws away a few games and is underwhelming in others I still think they should finish somewhere around 14 wins and finish around fifth in Hockey East. Itíd be great if this was the year Maine performed above expectations, but that isnít what weíve see during Redís time. I foolishly bought tickets for opening night against Providence and am starting to get excited for the season against my better judgment.
    The thing that worries me is they only have 8 D on the entire roster, and two of them are VMT and Cam Spicer. That dosent leave a lot of room for error back there in case of injury or underperformance. The third pair might get dicy. I think the third line is a solid offering, and the 4th line I would imagine gets better by subtraction with Perez gone, unless the freshmen they put there end up being sub-Perez level somehow. And I think you're wrong about Dawe, if he can avoid the injury bug I think he's a good player. Didn't show up on the scoresheet much but he was making plays out there.

The thing that worries me is they only have 8 D on the entire roster, and two of them are VMT and Cam Spicer. That dosent leave a lot of room for error back there in case of injury or underperformance. The third pair might get dicy. I think the third line is a solid offering, and the 4th line I would imagine gets better by subtraction with Perez gone, unless the freshmen they put there end up being sub-Perez level somehow. And I think you're wrong about Dawe, if he can avoid the injury bug I think he's a good player. Didn't show up on the scoresheet much but he was making plays out there.
    Your right with DAWE...he's a gamer/hard nose and never quits a shift...he's the type of player you want...hopefully he can stay healthy...which last year he was in the wrong place a few times and got clocked...in a cheap shop manner...which is what makes it more madding. I'd take him on my team any time.

I realize Bruneski is listed as an F on Maine's roster, but per below it looks like he could play some D if necessary:

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...an-defenseman/

Donít get me wrong I like him as a player, but weíve seen this before and it usually doesnít have a happy ending. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he can stay healthy this year.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

I thinks its unfortunate that Dawe got hurt last year. I don't see him playing a full season after last season, too small. Hope I'm wrong on that as he plays hard. As long as Maine is seeing Red its going to be disappointing.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Thread Information