Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    What happened to Wong? Hope he can suit up for the second half of the season.

Losing Drury for any length of time will hurt big time.
    Drury ok. Not sure on Wong but know he is out til after new year.

Comment

Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      So looks like Harvard beat out BC for Matt Beniers. Projected to be a 1st rounder in 2021 draft. Rumor has it he will enroll next fall (he is currently in his 2nd year at the USNDT team).
      I thought Harvard didn't go after these types of kids?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        I thought Harvard didn't go after these types of kids?
        What “type” is Matt Beniers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A won't be there long type

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            A won't be there long type
            His dad is Cornell grad, other sibling is at Williams. Yet another family (I believe) at another ivy?....

Anyway, he’ll be there as long as or close to ..as any Harvard athlete with a legitimate shot.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              His dad is Cornell grad, other sibling is at Williams. Yet another family (I believe) at another ivy?....

Anyway, he’ll be there as long as or close to ..as any Harvard athlete with a legitimate shot.
              Fair enough

Comment

Weekend Preview: Dartmouth/Harvard

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...thharvard.html
                Last edited by QUAlum2004; 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Enjoyed reading this article in Crimson recently: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...ental-illness/

Derek was very brave in addressing a challenge that many face.
                  TPB battled it as well recently, as have other guys in the program in the past.
                  Good that Derek gave voice and background to this experience so that others may be less
                  inclined to suffer alone in the margins. And good that Teddy encourages his players to get the help they
                  need.

Thanks, Derek, and Godspeed.
                  Coach: "Were you this #@&% slow when I recruited you??!!??"

Me: "I dunno...."

Coach: "I've GOT to quit drinkin' when I go to Alberta!!"

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaRing View Post
                    Enjoyed reading this article in Crimson recently: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...ental-illness/

Derek was very brave in addressing a challenge that many face.
                    TPB battled it as well recently, as have other guys in the program in the past.
                    Good that Derek gave voice and background to this experience so that others may be less
                    inclined to suffer alone in the margins. And good that Teddy encourages his players to get the help they
                    need.

Thanks, Derek, and Godspeed.
                    I was going to write about tonight's game but after reading the Crimson article, I want to share my thoughts on what Derek is going through. Because I have been there and still struggle with depression, anxiety and a form of PTSD that rises up every so often. I can tell all of you first hand that what Derek, Ty Pelton Byce and before them Tom Cavanaugh have gone through is real and painful. It seems like there is no way out and the loneliness and isolation is, at times, unbearable. People who don't understand drop off your radar screen and the ones who stay struggle to understand or simply try to ignore it. It's very hard to talk about.

I wish Derek and Ty all the best and for any athlete or student at Harvard reading this, please get the help you need and deserve. Your life matters. Thank you.

Comment

Even I can’t even make a Harvard joke out of this one. I hope he finds find the courage, strength, and support he needs to slay his dragons.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                        I was going to write about tonight's game but after reading the Crimson article, I want to share my thoughts on what Derek is going through. Because I have been there and still struggle with depression, anxiety and a form of PTSD that rises up every so often. I can tell all of you first hand that what Derek, Ty Pelton Byce and before them Tom Cavanaugh have gone through is real and painful. It seems like there is no way out and the loneliness and isolation is, at times, unbearable. People who don't understand drop off your radar screen and the ones who stay struggle to understand or simply try to ignore it. It's very hard to talk about.

I wish Derek and Ty all the best and for any athlete or student at Harvard reading this, please get the help you need and deserve. Your life matters. Thank you.
                        What a powerful article from Derek and to be able to share his own struggles so openly takes a lot of courage. I hope this is an important step forward in his journey to find peace and balance.

Skate79 - I hope you are doing ok and thank you for sharing your own journey with mental health.

On the hockey front, that was quite a weekend. I don’t think we are as good as the record/scores indicate, and with a team of mostly under class men, there will be volatility and setbacks. That said, I am especially encouraged by:
                        - Gibson’s play in net. Incredibly poised, in control, square to the shooters. He will face adversity at some point, but have not seen a goalie as positionally sound at Harvard in a very long time.
                        - The scoring is balanced. I like that since there will be ups and downs as frosh deal with the rigors of balancing hockey with academics. The talent is very good (and next years class is likely even better)
                        - PP has good movement, but has struggled. Positioning is off (Rathbone playing too high and not cheating in) and spacing needs work. But when it clicks, look out.
                        - 3rd D is still a work in progress, but much better than last year thus far.

A road trip to Yale and Brown will test the team. Ingalls will be rocking and Meehan will likely be the opposite. Hopefully, Harvard can stay composed and stay even keeled (especially against Yale) as their strategy will likely be to try and take Harvard off their game and limit their speed and transition.

Comment

Some observations from last night's game while wondering if Mitchell Gibson is our new #1 goalie:

1. Harvard's passing last night was the best I've seen in three years. Much like the '17 squad, the team moves the puck really well and creates opportunities from different areas in the offensive zone. Hard to defend. Justin Szeto who was seeing his first action made a gorgeous pass to RJ Murphy for Harvard's third goal. When they are on the same page, they are hard to beat.

2. The Triplets (Abruzzese, Farinacci, and Thrun) continue their fantastic play. Their hockey IQ is off the charts and they will only get better as they see more of the ECAC and out of conference foes. Still think Farinacci should be on the second line with Bowlby and Badini.

3. Rathbone is a pure stud. I really hope he stays but something tells me that next year may be his last in a Crimson uni. He has the poise, smarts and offensive game that NHL teams crave. Reminds me a lot of Don Sweeney with a better offensive game.

4. I'm liking the fourth line the more I see of them. They bring energy, good skating ability and maybe a little scoring as well. Time will tell.

For a young team, they don't seem to get rattled. They fell behind Dartmouth last week, then came roaring back. Last night, the Bobcats brought some heat after their PP goal cut it to 3-1 and the Crimson not only survived, but padded the lead on the Dornbach and Thrun goals. This is a good sign going forward.

On to our I-95 trip to Brown and Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            What a powerful article from Derek and to be able to share his own struggles so openly takes a lot of courage. I hope this is an important step forward in his journey to find peace and balance.

Skate79 - I hope you are doing ok and thank you for sharing your own journey with mental health.

On the hockey front, that was quite a weekend. I don’t think we are as good as the record/scores indicate, and with a team of mostly under class men, there will be volatility and setbacks. That said, I am especially encouraged by:
                            - Gibson’s play in net. Incredibly poised, in control, square to the shooters. He will face adversity at some point, but have not seen a goalie as positionally sound at Harvard in a very long time.
                            - The scoring is balanced. I like that since there will be ups and downs as frosh deal with the rigors of balancing hockey with academics. The talent is very good (and next years class is likely even better)
                            - PP has good movement, but has struggled. Positioning is off (Rathbone playing too high and not cheating in) and spacing needs work. But when it clicks, look out.
                            - 3rd D is still a work in progress, but much better than last year thus far.

A road trip to Yale and Brown will test the team. Ingalls will be rocking and Meehan will likely be the opposite. Hopefully, Harvard can stay composed and stay even keeled (especially against Yale) as their strategy will likely be to try and take Harvard off their game and limit their speed and transition.
                            Thanks Both. I'm getting a handle on it and working through it.

Agree all around with your points. Gibson's side to side movement tracking the puck is impressive. We haven't seen that in a Harvard goalie in quite some time. His glove is also quick. Bodes well going forward.

The team seems to have good balance although I'm a bit concerned about the third line. The coaches might tinker a bit if Baker Shore doesn't start producing.

Comment

Was looking at Harvard's existing roster, announced recruits, and then made some assumptions (ie, early departures, etc) and tried to project recruiting needs:

*******https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...036134********

The short end is as follows (assuming people come as expected - both who and when which is never certain when we think about all of the folks who have not been able to get through admissions):
                              - Harvard likely done recruiting for those matriculating in 2020
                              - Could see Harvard adding 1 D matriculating in 2021
                              - Harvard will likely look to add 1 G, and 5-6 Fs matriculating in 2022
                              Last edited by bothman; 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Good win for the Crimson tonite. They seemed to take control as the game wore on. Gibson looks good again. On to Yale!

Comment

Working...
                                X