Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,487

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    ha. actually from what i heard, Cornell was among his first choices. It did not work out.
    Admissions requirements are a b-tch.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What say we make a deal to meet as undefeateds for the game of the year in Lake Placid?
    Hmm, that might be tougher. Would mean that both Cornell-Crimson games end in ties. Not sure I like that. On the other hand, Lake Placid, winner take all, the scene of some of our best triumphs over the Red. Okay, I'll buy that.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsoncat View Post
    And not one of those 10 PPG players is a senior! When the coachís kid leaves early to squeak into the NHL it would be hard to knock anyone else for doing the same, but even with some of Bothmanís projected departures (Walsh after this year; Rathbone after next), given that depth and the pipeline (Matt Beniers Ö), this could be fun to watch the next few years.
    So last season I had the chance to sit with Reilly's parents and they told me that he is determined to play all four years. Of course things can change if the Devils make him an offer he can't refuse but I got the sense that he's committed to seeing it through. Hope so.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Thoughts and observations after watching what passed for a hockey game I suppose:

    1. First and foremost, here's hoping that Mitchell Gibson was not hurt too badly. With Schaedig on medical leave, not sure who backs up Gornet. I didn't see anyone else on the roster. Tough place to be with games against BU, BC and Cornell on the horizon.

    2. This game resembled the Dartmouth game in that Harvard's D was so lazy and loose with their coverage that RPI had free reign to do whatever they wanted in the Harvard zone. If the Engineers had more talent up front, Harvard might have lost this game. The Crimson sloppiness and lack of structure allowed RPI to control the puck for what looked like a two minute power play in the third period. Even though it was 5 on 5. The coaching staff has had three weeks to figure this out and I'm not sure what the issue is but they better get it cleaned up pronto.

    3. First line was immense and congrats to Casey Dornbach on his hat trick. The Engineers had no answer for them. Dornbach is starting to remind me of Tyler Moy and this line is going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

    4. Third D pairing didn't play all that much and when they did, it looked like Reilly Walsh double shifted. I didn't see a lot of Ben Foley and wasn't sure why. He skated towards the end of the game and was on the bench the whole time. Curious.

    5. This was an up and down game with a bundle of turnovers by both teams. Undisciplined at times and often careless with the puck. The Crimson's speed and talent won out but this is not a game I would put on a highlight reel unless it was used as a teaching tool.

    Time for our HE brethren.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,487

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    What happened to Gibson?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What happened to Gibson?
    Not sure. He came back to the bench in his pads, but did not re-enter game. Letís hope he is ok. Next game is Friday at home vs BC.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Thoughts and observations after watching what passed for a hockey game I suppose:

    1. First and foremost, here's hoping that Mitchell Gibson was not hurt too badly. With Schaedig on medical leave, not sure who backs up Gornet. I didn't see anyone else on the roster. Tough place to be with games against BU, BC and Cornell on the horizon.

    2. This game resembled the Dartmouth game in that Harvard's D was so lazy and loose with their coverage that RPI had free reign to do whatever they wanted in the Harvard zone. If the Engineers had more talent up front, Harvard might have lost this game. The Crimson sloppiness and lack of structure allowed RPI to control the puck for what looked like a two minute power play in the third period. Even though it was 5 on 5. The coaching staff has had three weeks to figure this out and I'm not sure what the issue is but they better get it cleaned up pronto.

    3. First line was immense and congrats to Casey Dornbach on his hat trick. The Engineers had no answer for them. Dornbach is starting to remind me of Tyler Moy and this line is going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

    4. Third D pairing didn't play all that much and when they did, it looked like Reilly Walsh double shifted. I didn't see a lot of Ben Foley and wasn't sure why. He skated towards the end of the game and was on the bench the whole time. Curious.

    5. This was an up and down game with a bundle of turnovers by both teams. Undisciplined at times and often careless with the puck. The Crimson's speed and talent won out but this is not a game I would put on a highlight reel unless it was used as a teaching tool.

    Time for our HE brethren.
    I thought Harvard played very arrogant hockey. They knew they had more skill and speed and chose not to pay attention to detail and do the things you need to do to win hockey games. Brutal D zone coverage by both the D and forwards. This was the worst game Iíve seen Harvard play this year. Some great video for coaching as Harvard gets ready for BC and BU.

    Credit to RPI. Played hard, were opportunistic, and finished. Itís the best Iíve seen RPI look in several years and hopefully, the program is turning s corner.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    I thought Harvard played very arrogant hockey. They knew they had more skill and speed and chose not to pay attention to detail and do the things you need to do to win hockey games. Brutal D zone coverage by both the D and forwards. This was the worst game Iíve seen Harvard play this year. Some great video for coaching as Harvard gets ready for BC and BU.

    Credit to RPI. Played hard, were opportunistic, and finished. Itís the best Iíve seen RPI look in several years and hopefully, the program is turning s corner.
    The word "arrogant" is perfect to describe their play last night. They thought they could just show up and record a 'W'. And yes, credit to RPI for continuing to come back in the game although we really made it easy for them to do so. The sense of entitlement had better disappear before next Friday or it will be lights out at Bright.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Harvard picks up a commitment from Ian Moore who is a RD junior at St Marks. Was previously committed to Princeton. A likely draft pick in the 2020 draft. He is widely considered the top D player in prep hockey so a pretty big get.
    Last edited by bothman; 11-26-2019 at 11:50 AM.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,238
    nice back & forth finally. great to see a bright sellout.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    nice back & forth finally. great to see a bright sellout.
    Harvard dumb penalties laid the red carpet for BC to get back in this.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,238
    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard dumb penalties laid the red carpet for BC to get back in this.
    mistakes aside, for my money I just saw two of the cityís better hockey teams for this season. great pace & atmosphere.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    16

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    mistakes aside, for my money I just saw two of the cityís better hockey teams for this season. great pace & atmosphere.
    It took the first half of the game for BC to find its legs. Harvard then lost momentum in the second half just as BC gained theirs scoring twice on the PP. In period 2 alone there were several botched chances on net - one timers that somehow missed the blade of the stick. I suspect it will be a much different story next week v BU. Glad to see Mitchell Gibson dressed and ready to play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,717

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard dumb penalties laid the red carpet for BC to get back in this.
    The BC PP was nothing to shout about watching it all season but it's improving slowly.

    A lot of us thought after HU made it 2-0 that it was possibly the game sealer the way Harvard was playing defence and limiting BC's offence
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

    Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Is there such a thing as a good loss? Harvard lost to a good BC team last night and will learn that you canít take penalties that allow good teams to get back in games. Good learning and teaching moments to build on. I thought Rathbone was the best player on the ice last night.

    Harvard and BC will both get better and hopefully they will meet again at the Beanpot.

    Bring on BU. Harvard certainly knows the goaltender well and letís see how Cornell handles them tonight @MSG.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    5,026

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Excellent early season game at a packed Bright between two very good teams .

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,812

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    I had a slightly different take on this game. Yes I thought Rathbone was a beast and was the best player on the ice. He was immense. And Drury's goal was a thing of beauty. But I was left with two nagging issues; D zone breakdowns that led to Harvard coughing up a lead and control of the game and not being able to bury prime scoring chances. Much like the Dartmouth game, the Crimson let a two goal lead evaporate with some shoddy D zone coverage and misplays. You can't leave guys that wide open and I commented on this after the RPI game. Good teams will make you pay and that's what BC did to us. It will happen next week too unless this gets cleaned up.

    Also, the penalties are beginning to really annoy me. Let's show some more discipline; like after Drury made it 2-0, you knew the officials were going to have their eyes peeled and sure enough, we get a tripping penalty to open the floodgates.

    I think we can beat BC in the Beanpot if we see them especially if Gibson is healthy and plays. Knight is terrific but if we bury a couple of chances that were handed to us, it would have been a different result. Yeah I know, woulda, shoulda, coulda, adds up to a loss either way.

    Hope the Terriers beat the Red tonight so we don't have to hear the insufferable Cornell fans screaming about how they held up their end of the undefeated showdown.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,708

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Harvard was only called for two penalties yesterday. You're not gonna do much better than that.

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,581
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Harvard was only called for two penalties yesterday. You're not gonna do much better than that.
    Yes, but they were dumb and lazy and came right after our 2nd goal. It was kind of like ďHere is some momentum BCĒ. And good for BC that they took the offering and ran with it!

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    Post Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post

    Hope the Terriers beat the Red tonight so we don't have to hear the insufferable Cornell fans screaming about how they held up their end of the undefeated showdown.
    Well, Cornell did hold up its end of the bargain...

    Seriously though, I expect Harvard to bounce back Tuesday against BU, and Friday should be another classic Cornell-Harvard battle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •