Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    UAA hockey highlights, undated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZVYS-hrzGw
    Thanks for the link. That was back in the days when they actually let them play hockey.

I'm watching the DU/UA_ game. Nanooks look really good and DU does not look like the #2 team in the nation. So much for preseason polls.
    Last edited by Suze; 10-06-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

The Nooks dropped the first game of the season 3 - 4 to Denver. SOGs were 36 - 33 Denver.
    Pretty good game for the first outing of the season. We had our chances. The Nooks gave up the winning goal with about a minute left in the game. Alaska goals by Newton, Marino, and S. Jandric. Denver goals by Barrow, Olischefski, Brink, and Guttman. Get’em tonight boys.

"Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    DU does not look like the #2 team in the nation. So much for preseason polls.
    The preseason polls are nothing more than a reposting of last year's tourney field with a few "big name" teams that missed the tourney sprinkled back in because the media can't not vote for them.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The preseason polls are nothing more than a reposting of last year's tourney field with a few "big name" teams that missed the tourney sprinkled back in because the media can't not vote for them.
    Yep, pretty meaningless. Thought the Nooks had a chance when they tied it up. Either the DU power play was really bad, or the UA_ penalty killers were really good. Took the Pioneers half of the PP just to get it out of their zone! Gonna watch again tonight.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

What about the Coaches Poll? Would a fan Poll be more accurate?

What about the Coaches Poll? Would a fan Poll be more accurate?

So I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, as well as some time playing with numbers. In general, past success presages future success; an Elo-style rating is generally useless as a predictive tool if you go back and say that everyone is equal at the start of the season. Even if you do a regression to the mean — which is what I've typically done — you can't regress too far to the mean and have value. How valuable? Stay tuned.

That said, one thing that is true is that an Elo-style rating would differ from the tournament field. Sometimes, a good team is going to miss the NCAAs given the size of the field. Sometimes, a team puts a big lead out early and fades at the end of the season. I remember a couple of years ago that BELOW was saying good things about Bemidji the season prior to their Bitzer-fueled heights, despite the fact that they'd been a sixth seed in the league the previous year.

Having been a USCHO poll voter, the other thing that I can say is this: I didn't get to watch many non-CHA games back in those days, as this was pre-streaming and non-regional TV coverage was largely limited to the postseason. You're ... you're just making stuff up, looking at standings, squinting at counting stats, and looking to see how many draft picks are on a team. I don't think that I ever spent more than a half-hour coming up with my votes, and while I'm sure that some folks were more responsible with their votes than that, the countless stories of "random SID intern" voting as "coaches" is real.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

So what is the OUTLOOK for the UAA team? They travel to Maine for this weekend....as far as Maine goes....a real awful weekend for Maine....they gave up a ton of shots, took penalty's and had no offence to speak of. The only plus I see going into Maine season is there goaltender/Swayman...but then he can only be as good as the team in front of him....which the defense looks poor. Long trip over for UAA so that is Maine's advantage. I come away not knowing anything about UAA but see this series as a TOSS-UP.

Did anyone go to the scrimmage last week? Was there an actual arena sound system in place?

Quote Originally Posted by shootdontpass View Post
    Did anyone go to the scrimmage last week? Was there an actual arena sound system in place?
    Shaaaa

https://images.app.goo.gl/pkx6UrqiutYNWvHG9

Let’s go Boys. Mag7 on the horizon.

Go Nooks!
    #RuleTheNorth

"Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

3-0 leads from the Nanooks don’t always give me confidence after the last couple years. Let’s finish strong Nanooks!

Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    3-0 leads from the Nanooks don’t always give me confidence after the last couple years. Let’s finish strong Nanooks!
    The Nooks look at lot better than the Seawolves do. I stopped watching their game. Congrats on the win Nanooks. Your team really outplayed the Huskies.
    Last edited by Suze; 10-11-2019 at 09:26 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    The Nooks look at lot better than the Seawolves do. I stopped watching their game. Congrats on the win Nanooks. Your team really outplayed the Huskies.
    Beating them for the first time since 2014! After playing Denver tough last week, it is nice to be rewarded with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNanooks View Post
    Beating them for the first time since 2014! After playing Denver tough last week, it is nice to be rewarded with a win.
    And I thought the Pioneers were outplayed last weekend as well.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

The Nooks defeat MTU 3-2 Friday night. Good job boys.
    Built a 3-0 lead and then hung on for the win. The Nooks controlled play for much of the game. An extra attacker goal by MTU with about a minute left put them back in reach. SOGs were 22-18 UAF. Nook goals by Hope, Young, and C. Jandrick. MTU goals by Halonen and Parrottino. Keep the pressure on Saturday night boys.

Go Nooks!
    #RuleTheNorth
    "Who got the Cup?"

:stick tap:

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

SWEEP!
    The Nooks sweep MTU with a hard fought 2-1 win on Saturday night. SOGs 24-21 MTU. The Nooks controlled play for the first two periods, until all the extra curricular activities at the buzzer. The Huskies smelled a little blood and the Nooks seemed like they skated a man down for the first 8 or 9 minutes of the third. But the Nooks were able to hang in for the win. Nook goals by Thompson and C. Jandric. MTU goal by Pietila.

Go Nooks!
    #RuleTheNorth
    "Who got the Cup?"

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    SWEEP!
    The Nooks sweep MTU with a hard fought 2-1 win on Saturday night. SOGs 24-21 MTU. The Nooks controlled play for the first two periods, until all the extra curricular activities at the buzzer. The Huskies smelled a little blood and the Nooks seemed like they skated a man down for the first 8 or 9 minutes of the third. But the Nooks were able to hang in for the win. Nook goals by Thompson and C. Jandric. MTU goal by Pietila.

Go Nooks!
    #RuleTheNorth
    Congrats!!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Not the result we wanted however a dramatic turn around from Friday.

Thread Information