Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    Let's be honest, it probably has very little to do with the schools themselves and more to do with things that are out of the control of the schools. The instability that was created the last couple of years by the Alaska government and the University of Alabama system can't be easy for the other 7 schools. I have zero doubt in my mind that UAA, UAF and UAH are committed to hockey and are willing to put money towards their programs. I would think UAH would be less of a concern from a stability standpoint, but lets not forget that the Alabama system essentially shut them down a few years ago and the program was saved by a few very dedicated fans and boosters. Now, let's just play devil's advocate for a minute....say the worst did happen this year. We are in July of 2019 and the season starts in 3-4 months and all of a sudden the two Alaska teams are gone from college hockey. That was a realistic possibility for a time. That leaves the other schools in the conference short of 6-8 games for the year and quite possibly each of the next 3 years (2019, 2020, and maybe 2021). This was also a topic of conversation last year and it's hard to believe that it won't be a topic of conversation next year. Now, if you take the emotion out of it, at what point do the other schools say, "we can't stay in a relationship in which we don't know if others are going to walk away and leave us hanging"? At some point the other schools are going to be cold and heartless and think about how they are going to be hurt if this keeps happening.

Essentially, you're asking the other 7 schools to hang around hoping they don't get hurt. That's a pretty big ask when it seems like it's inevitable that at least 1, if not 2 or 3, of these programs are going to fold at some point. In a perfect world, everyone would support everyone else, but in reality each of the schools has to think of themselves and make sure they survive first. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but, reading the tea leaves, it seems like this has to be what's going through the other Athletic Directors' and University Presidents' minds.
    This more or less sums up my thoughts regarding the Alaska schools. Twice in 5 years, we spent a Summer wondering if the program will be around 4 months later. I get that the threats to the programs came from outside the university, but they still happened. The only brush the other 7 schools had with losing a program was BGSU around a decade ago. It's a case of "Those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it."

Huntsville is moving forward, albeit slowly. They also had the ax dropped, but they did come forward and put that discussion six feat under since then. It's a tough sell, but if they can get their own building, I would have no qualms about having them in conference long term.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

So, the issue isnít the lack of money or support for our programs, itís future uncertainty that necessitated the seven schools to hold clandestine meetings without regard or input from the three institutions involved or even the conference commissioner.

Except the Magnificent 7 are now moving to a yet to be determined structure or structures that are fraught with uncertainty. It is more likely that one or two of the Magnificent 7 pull out of whatever agreement is in place and leave the not-so-magnificent remnants fend for themselves, than it was likely UAA, UAF, and UAH dropped hockey.

The way this was approached was chickenchit by any standards. We can only hope it blows up in their faces.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    You're presuming that these three schools aren't doing these things. Just because it's in private doesn't mean that it's not happening.

GFM
    You have missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You have missiles.
    Shhhhh.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

...or in the least have some very good conversations.

All you would be doing is the yooper version of no comprende .
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post

The way this was approached was chickenchit by any standards. We can only hope it blows up in their faces.
    You mean like............. George Gwozdecky how the Nacho league didn't work out for him ....... ..... and fired one year short of retirement check .
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Blogger

Lets all be honest and think critically for a second. Itís not just the magnificent 7 wanting to leave the conference because of UAA/UAF/UAH and the uncertainty/commitment rhetoric. That merely provided the catalyst and a scapegoat for a lot of other issues with the league that all come to a head. A lot of the schools have expressed a lot of frustrations with the league and scheduling over the past few years. If Iím not mistaken, Tech has travelled to both Alaska schools three years in a row prior to last year. Bemidji and Mankato have also done so a bit disproportionally to the every 3rd year that was planned during realignment.

Officiating has deteriorated and Iíve heard first hand a lot of displeasure with the inconsistencies and quality of officiating throughout the league. More importantly the lack of leadership from the league office to correct it and improve the situation.

I honestly canít blame the other teams, I really canít. I just wish for our own sake the conversations were more open instead of everyone keeping their mouths shut in Florida. The reality is, someone has to lose, and eliminating at least Anchorage and Huntsville from the conference is eliminating the wins the other teams have collected from them. Iím not trying to say the Nanooks were that much better but they at least had a sniff at a .500 season in conference and were trending upward.

There were certainly options and compromises that could have been made but I stand being my belief that this isnít a good move for any of the 7 schools except Mankato and Northern right now. Maybe BG.
    Last edited by UAFHockeyFan314; 09-25-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    Lets all be honest and think critically for a second. Itís not just the magnificent 7 wanting to leave the conference because of UAA/UAF/UAH and the uncertainty/commitment rhetoric. That merely provided the catalyst and a scapegoat for a lot of other issues with the league that all come to a head. A lot of the schools have expressed a lot of frustrations with the league and scheduling over the past few years. If Iím not mistaken, Tech has travelled to both Alaska schools three years in a row prior to last year. Bemidji and Mankato have also done so a bit disproportionally to the every 3rd year that was planned during realignment.

Officiating has deteriorated and Iíve heard first hand a lot of displeasure with the inconsistencies and quality of officiating throughout the league. More importantly the lack of leadership from the league office to correct it and improve the situation.

I honestly canít blame the other teams, I really canít. I just wish for our own sake the conversations were more open instead of everyone keeping their mouths shut in Florida. The reality is, someone has to lose, and eliminating at least Anchorage and Huntsville from the conference is eliminating the wins the other teams have collected from them. Iím not trying to say the Nanooks were that much better but they at least had a sniff at a .500 season in conference and were trending upward.

There were certainly options and compromises that could have been made but I stand being my belief that this isnít a good move for any of the 7 schools except Mankato and Northern right now. Maybe BG.
    The buss people have spoken. .......One tank of diesel or we are not going.

Quote Originally Posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post

With the scheduling matrix, every team will travel to every other team three out of four years. Your travel to NMU & Tech will be the same as the Alaskas or the Minnesota schools.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    With the scheduling matrix, every team will travel to every other team three out of four years. Your travel to NMU & Tech will be the same as the Alaskas or the Minnesota schools.
    My recollection is that it hasn't gone like that at all.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    My recollection is that it hasn't gone like that at all.

GFM
    For BSU:

13-14: at Alaska
    14-15: at Anchorage
    15-16: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    16-17: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    17-18: at Alaska
    18-19: at Anchorage
    19-20: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    20-21: at Alaska at Anchorage if the pattern (??) holds
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

UAA hockey will be back on the radio this season! Yes!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Frozen Solid

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Never understood why it was gone?
    If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    For BSU:

13-14: at Alaska
    14-15: at Anchorage
    15-16: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    16-17: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    17-18: at Alaska
    18-19: at Anchorage
    19-20: at Alaska, at Anchorage
    20-21: at Alaska at Anchorage if the pattern (??) holds
    NMU (vs UAF/UAA)
    13-14 at UAF, at UAA*
    14-15 at UAF, at UAA (two week trip)*
    15-16 at UAF*
    16-17 at UAA
    17-18 at UAF, at UAA*
    18-19 at UAF, at UAA (two week trip)*
    19-20 at UAF*

NMU vs Ferris/LSSU
    13-14 at Ferris
    14-15 at LSSU
    15-16 at Ferris, at LSSU
    16-17 at Ferris, at LSSU
    17-18 at Ferris
    18-19 at LSSU
    19-20 at Ferris, at LSSU

It works the same for any of the five ďtravel pairs,Ē UAA/UAF, Bemidji/Minnesota St, Tech/NMU, LSSU/Ferris & UAH/BG

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    Money

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    Well, I also think it had to do with Kurt Haider leaving the radio station that it was broadcast through.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Alaska Nanook Hockey...the boys are back.
    Blue & Gold Game last night
    Next Saturday & Sunday...Alaska Nanooks host Denver Pioneers

"Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Man has it really been four years since radio?
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Alaska Nanook Hockey...the boys are back.
    Blue & Gold Game last night
    Next Saturday & Sunday...Alaska Nanooks host Denver Pioneers

I heard the kid coaches where playing for the "Sippy Cup".

UAA hockey highlights, undated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZVYS-hrzGw
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Thread Information