Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    No it's decided purely by the league office.
    The vote was probaly 7-3
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

With a 7-0 loss, it's hard to overcome the optics to award anyone a player of the week honor even with the impressive effort Friday.
    Maybe if he didnít play at all on Thursday and all he had was the Friday shutout it would have been better in their eyes. But even in the first game he played excellent in relief.

No it's decided purely by the league office.
    Yes, it is decided by the league office, but players do need to be nominated by their schools SID's for consideration. For some reason, Martinson did not get nominated by UAF's SID.

UAF vs UAA this weekend...

Does anyone have an opinion on how this weekends' 1st round Gov Cup games wil shake out?

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Just watched the hype video for the Seawolves homecoming weekend vs the Alaska Nanooks, which includes a lengthy segment on where and how to park on campus for the hockey games. How difficult could it be?

Depends on if you want to pay the $5 or if you want to park for free. If ya don't know which is which, watch the video.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by NookAlum View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on how this weekends' 1st round Gov Cup games wil shake out?
    I wouldnít be surprised to see a split, but if we get consistent goaltending I can see the Nanooks sweeping. Hoping that the video stream is watchable and there arenít too many bugs to work out in these first home games.

In four out of our six games, we have scored early (within six minutes) of puck drop in the first period. Three of those games were wins, and the fourth (G1 against Denver) was tied until almost the last minute. If we continue that trend against UAA, we will be fine. With the exception of one bad game against Penn State, goaltending has been solid too.

Nooks should take two this weekend, but weird things happen in this rivalry and UAA wonít want to get swept in their first games back on campus. Should be interesting.

Frozen Solid

I hear Decade of Dominance is quite the documentary.
    Hard to argue that.
    If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    In four out of our six games, we have scored early (within six minutes) of puck drop in the first period. Three of those games were wins, and the fourth (G1 against Denver) was tied until almost the last minute. If we continue that trend against UAA, we will be fine. With the exception of one bad game against Penn State, goaltending has been solid too.

Nooks should take two this weekend, but weird things happen in this rivalry and UAA wonít want to get swept in their first games back on campus. Should be interesting.

Agreed.... I agree that the key for UAF is to play with a lead against UAA. Just dont think the Sewolves will have the firepower to be a strong come from behind team. I like the Nanook's chances, as they have most of their top scorers, their D-corp and two good goalies back from last year. They also have some key new Euro recuits that have all made an immediate impact. Think they just have more overall talent than UAA does right now. They also have the advantage in playing six games thus far to UAA's two. Not to mention that UAF has played very tough against two top 10 teams already. I think they can shut down UAA's offense, but it is a rivalry, so everyhting I just said means little once the puck drops. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Iíll say for this series the same thing I will say for every series this season: If UAA wins a game Iíll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I’ll say for this series the same thing I will say for every series this season: If UAA wins a game I’ll be surprised.
    But ... ponies!

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

"Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Agreed.... I agree that the key for UAF is to play with a lead against UAA. I think they can shut down UAA's offense.
    I'm not sure they have an offense.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I'm not sure they have an offense.
    Stop ripping on your teammmmm it makes it less fun for us!

Darn, don't wanna make anything fun for you. Ok, here ya go.

UAF has won most of the Governor's Cups for the past decade, but I just looked at the win/losses between these two schools. The UAA website would only let me go back to the 06-07 season, but UAA won 20 games to UA_'s 24, and there were three ties. That's not really dominance when you look at the overall picture. But the last few years the Nanooks sure have had the Seawolves number. I don't see that changing this season.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Well the green and gold looked better than I thought they would. Very impressed with St Onge and Wicks!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Blogger

The only goal UAA scored was a giveaway. Aside from one opportunity on a defensive breakdown while killing a penalty and that center ice gaffe that have a dude a breakaway, UAA couldn't generate anything offensively.

Nooks played well enough to win but after they got the lead they were more interested in preserving it than building on it. Too passive in the 3rd period.

Also I think UAA needs a puck freezer.

For anyone at the game, how would you rate the overall game day experience? Did they have anything for speakers where you could actually hear the PA Announcer and music? Was there anything available for food besides popcorn and hotdogs?

Nanooks cannot just keep holding on in the third period when they have a lead. Same thing happened at Michigan Tech, and one of these times they wonít be able to hold on long enough. We need more offense in second half like we did Friday at Penn State.

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by shootdontpass View Post
    For anyone at the game, how would you rate the overall game day experience? Did they have anything for speakers where you could actually hear the PA Announcer and music? Was there anything available for food besides popcorn and hotdogs?
    Experience was terrible. It was cold, the speakers they have at the end of section E basically deafen anyone nearby it but it canít be heard towards the earlier sections in A/B/C apparently, seating is uncomfortable and the netting made it difficult to see play. Didnít attempt to get any food so canít speak on that aspect but yeah I wasnít impressed.

Thread Information