Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 562

Thread: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

  1. #81
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,947

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You lost me
    For the most part, I just flat-out missed the jokes. I mean, yeah it's a decently-constructed film, but...
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,637

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Ready or Not is pretty good.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,040

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Caught "The Siege" on HBO tonight (well, it's still on as I type this). Eerie how this film is still relevant 21 years later.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  4. #84
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,676

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Caught "The Siege" on HBO tonight (well, it's still on as I type this). Eerie how this film is still relevant 21 years later.
    Eerie how much it was correct it was 3 years BEFORE 9/11.

    I love that film.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  5. #85
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,200

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Caught "The Siege" on HBO tonight (well, it's still on as I type this). Eerie how this film is still relevant 21 years later.
    This is why I love Natural Born Killers and that take on media. Guess what?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #86
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    ... I mean, yeah it's a decently-constructed film, but...
    so it doesn't unravel nor fall apart off the reel in the the theatre??
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  7. #87
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,684

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Caught "The Siege" on HBO tonight (well, it's still on as I type this). Eerie how this film is still relevant 21 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Eerie how much it was correct it was 3 years BEFORE 9/11.

    I love that film.
    Love that movie. Too prescient.

  8. #88
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Love that movie. Too prescient.
    "After the abduction by the US military of an Islamic religious leader, New York City becomes the target of escalating terrorist attacks. Anthony Hubbard, the head of the FBI's Counter-Terrorism Task Force in New York, teams up with CIA operative Elise Kraft to hunt down the terrorist cells responsible for the attacks. As the bombings continue, the US government responds by declaring martial law, sending US troops, led by Gen. Devereaux, into the streets of New York City."

    ...so denzel and benning hunt down the us military?!?!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  9. #89
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    "After the abduction by the US military of an Islamic religious leader, New York City becomes the target of escalating terrorist attacks. Anthony Hubbard, the head of the FBI's Counter-Terrorism Task Force in New York, teams up with CIA operative Elise Kraft to hunt down the terrorist cells responsible for the attacks. As the bombings continue, the US government responds by declaring martial law, sending US troops, led by Gen. Devereaux, into the streets of New York City."

    ...so denzel and benning hunt down the us military?!?!
    More like the US Military hunts down Benning while Denzel tries to solve the case as Bruce Willis goes nuts on every person in Brooklyn who even looks Islamic (including Denzel's FBI partner)

    I'd say you'd like it, but you'd probably say the wrong team wins.

  10. #90
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    More like the US Military hunts down Benning while Denzel tries to solve the case as Bruce Willis goes nuts on every person in Brooklyn who even looks Islamic (including Denzel's FBI partner)

    I'd say you'd like it, but you'd probably say the wrong team wins.
    mookie will look for it. odd that he's never seen it given it's age.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  11. #91
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,947

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    so it doesn't unravel nor fall apart off the reel in the the theatre??


    I'm just not that into comics, so I guess that's why I missed the jokes. Sue me.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  12. #92
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Mookie watched.
    Dated. But ok.
    Denzel fan so maybe liked it more than otherwise shoulda.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,626

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Joker is getter by huge props from journalists with many saying Phoenix could get an Oscar.

    The Current War is getting slammed. Ugh.

    Both out October 4.

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,639

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Roll Red Roll. A 2018 documentary on Netflix regarding the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape of an extremely intoxicated 16 year old girl by members of the local high school football team.

    The case, and the movie, were particularly interesting in that the prosecution rested almost entirely on social media evidence including texts, photos and movies. As expected, initial reaction in the community was to "protect the team" and blame the victim.

    A local blogger got involved, did a little sleuthing on the social media sites of the kids involved and revealed some of the particularly vile reactions of these kids in real time as the rape occurred. National media picked up on the story. Then, the blogger got sued by one of the families for defamation in a classic SLAPP case designed to shut her up, at which point Anonymous leaped in to try to expose the crime and basically threw a tanker of gas onto what was already a pretty good fire.

    One thing I discovered by doing a little further digging is that apparently one or more members of Anonymous were also prosecuted for their hacking efforts, although the movie tends to portray them as heroes.

    There are a number of good articles out there about the underlying events, if interested in follow up information.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  15. #95
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Heaven Can Wait

    Been years since mookie saw it. Great cast. Charles Groden as the bad guy is so sly it’s magic. Dyan Cannon was a babe. Supporting top notch. And Beatty and Christie are great together. Great story and except for the Stillers losing dam near perfect.

  16. #96
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,200

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Roll Red Roll. A 2018 documentary on Netflix regarding the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape of an extremely intoxicated 16 year old girl by members of the local high school football team.

    The case, and the movie, were particularly interesting in that the prosecution rested almost entirely on social media evidence including texts, photos and movies. As expected, initial reaction in the community was to "protect the team" and blame the victim.

    A local blogger got involved, did a little sleuthing on the social media sites of the kids involved and revealed some of the particularly vile reactions of these kids in real time as the rape occurred. National media picked up on the story. Then, the blogger got sued by one of the families for defamation in a classic SLAPP case designed to shut her up, at which point Anonymous leaped in to try to expose the crime and basically threw a tanker of gas onto what was already a pretty good fire.

    One thing I discovered by doing a little further digging is that apparently one or more members of Anonymous were also prosecuted for their hacking efforts, although the movie tends to portray them as heroes.

    There are a number of good articles out there about the underlying events, if interested in follow up information.
    That one popped up on my list for recommended, but I'm kinda afraid of seeing it, due to it being SO messed up. As I get older, I'm getting pickier in watching truly disturbing things...know what I mean? I don't need to hear every sorded detail or allegation....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #97
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,334

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Back to School

    Rodney is the best
    Kineson shouldn’t have died

    What was the futures payout if one bought Robert Downey jr here! (Or maybe less than zero when he was playing a guy giving bjs?? )

    Solid, deep cast here.

    Here’s you, here’s Giorgio, but’s what’s with the midget??

  18. #98
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    It: Chapter II

    The run time on this is 2:49 and has drawn some criticism. I don't care if a movie is 5 hours, if it's good I'll watch. This is good. This is better than good. I enjoyed the hell out of this film and I'll be seeing it again in the theater. Maybe more than once.

    The set pieces are incredibly well done. The subtle (and not so subtle) callbacks to the first film are a nice touch. The flashback sequences are a delight to see but horrendous to experience. I identify with those kids so strongly - particularly Ben, for obvious reasons.

    This movie has everything. Some great one-liners that'll have you laughing right up until the point you're screaming in terror at what has suddenly appeared on the screen. It is the heartwarming tale of indomitable friendship that at the same time wrenches your heart right out of your chest.

    Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy turn in their usual solid performances, but the standout for me was Bill Hader. He plays the adult version of joker Richie Tozier and delivers the expected yuks, but the emotional depth he brings to the role was stunning. He is not just a comedic actor. His range is expansive. Get him some dramatic roles, stat. He can deliver.

    The only real drawback for me was the de-aging technology they used for the kids. In some cases it worked, in others it very much did not. There were a couple of times it distracted me and pulled me right out of the movie. Other than that, I enjoyed it immensely.

    This is supposed to be the end but this is Hollywood, so who knows? I want this to be the end of this story, but by all means get that group of kids together for more films. Reboot the Scooby-Doo franchise and have them ride around in the Mystery Machine solving ghost stories. They're just so dammed good.

    And so is this film. I give it a 9/10.

  19. #99
    Master of Science
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,559

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Bill Hader. He plays the adult version of joker Richie Tozier and delivers the expected yuks, but the emotional depth he brings to the role was stunning. He is not just a comedic actor. His range is expansive. Get him some dramatic roles, stat. He can deliver.
    If you haven't seen his series Barry on HBO you should. He won an Emmy for that role last year. They list it as a comedy but while it is funny at times its also pretty dramatic.

  20. #100

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,288

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    If you haven't seen his series Barry on HBO you should. He won an Emmy for that role last year. They list it as a comedy but while it is funny at times its also pretty dramatic.
    Seconded. Hader is a good actor and that role is beautifully written by Duffy Boudreau and Taofik Kolade (who also writes Atlanta!) which never hurts.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •