Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 590

Thread: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

  1. #61
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,212

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This is what happens with all the great characters of fiction after they have been around long enough. Hamlet. Dracula. Jesus.
    Dracula is a sort of gray area, since he was supposedly based on Vlad The Impaler. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I think your point still stands.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #62
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This is what happens with all the great characters of fiction after they have been around long enough. Hamlet. Dracula. Jesus.
    Jesus is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed hedge fund manager who packs heat and speaks with a Southern twang.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,323

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Dracula is a sort of gray area, since he was supposedly based on Vlad The Impaler. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I think your point still stands.
    All three characters have hazy relationships to actual historical people which have been obscured by over-the-top fictional treatments.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,051

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Jesus is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed hedge fund manager who packs heat and speaks with a Southern twang.
    No southern twang in this version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYLugke-GiQ

    Just a warning, it turns into a NSFW gore parody...
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  5. #65
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,693

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    From the sounds of it Joker killed it in Venice at the festival. The twitter reactions from the audience and press seem to praise it pretty highly. (including applause at one of the critics screenings if I read right) I got a feeling the movie is going to be awesome...and hated by the Twitter Nazis. (it already is by some because apparently it is shocking that The Joker is a villain who does evil things!)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,629

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Well, i’m Digging the new Terminator trailer: https://youtu.be/bNzdzEQy5jQ

    So over the top

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,657

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    I saw Aquarela today. Might be my first film with no dialogue.
    Visually stunning

  8. #68
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    42,320
    The first Lego Movie. I forgot how AWESOME this movie is.

  9. #69
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,949

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    I think I've said this before, but I'm not a comic book guy. I saw the Nolan trilogy and liked it. I saw the first Iron Man movie after some prodding from MTU friends and liked it, but didn't follow-up with the sequels.

    Seeing the trailers for Joker, I'm pretty interested.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  10. #70
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,212

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I think I've said this before, but I'm not a comic book guy. I saw the Nolan trilogy and liked it. I saw the first Iron Man movie after some prodding from MTU friends and liked it, but didn't follow-up with the sequels.

    Seeing the trailers for Joker, I'm pretty interested.
    Gravy training on your post:

    The first 2 Supermans (DONNER CUT FTW)
    Nolan Batmans (the Nicholson Batman was ok for its time, same with the Burt Ward, I suppose)
    Kick-A* (first one only)
    Deadpool (good God, those rule)
    Wonder Woman
    (also didn't know that Kick and Dead were comic books when I saw those movies)

    Aquaman was a'ight, Justice League the same. Saw those out of curiosity more than anything else. Certainly not fandom.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #71
    Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A Headshrinker's Office
    Posts
    32,949

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    As I said, I saw all the Nolan Batmans. First two were great - third was just fine.

    Kick-A55 - first was ok-ish, never bothered with the sequels. Especially after a friend told me that the romantic aspect was super-Hollywood and that she actually rejected him (good for her).

    Same for Iron Man.

    Deadpool - meh.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  12. #72
    Inspired by Actual Events
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da tech
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    I love the Joker trailer, and 90% of the reviews leave me eager to watch. Then there’s the Time Magazine review (albeit by someone who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s nursing some kind of resentment against Phoenix... “But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault.”...) that makes me wonder if it’s an illusion of a good movie, or a brilliant character study...
    I used to love the Detective comics when I was a kid. The Joker was very complex character (at least in certain Specials), and it appears the movie does that justice.

  13. #73
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,212

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I love the Joker trailer, and 90% of the reviews leave me eager to watch. Then there’s the Time Magazine review (albeit by someone who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s nursing some kind of resentment against Phoenix... “But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault.”...) that makes me wonder if it’s an illusion of a good movie, or a brilliant character study...
    I used to love the Detective comics when I was a kid. The Joker was very complex character (at least in certain Specials), and it appears the movie does that justice.
    There is always that one critic....
    Just sayin'
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #74
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,693

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I love the Joker trailer, and 90% of the reviews leave me eager to watch. Then there’s the Time Magazine review (albeit by someone who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s nursing some kind of resentment against Phoenix... “But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault.”...) that makes me wonder if it’s an illusion of a good movie, or a brilliant character study...
    I used to love the Detective comics when I was a kid. The Joker was very complex character (at least in certain Specials), and it appears the movie does that justice.
    It is possible, but with the sheer amount of 5 star reviews (I think its average score is like 9.15 out of 10 or something) out there I kind of doubt it. Some people arent gonna like the film and she was definitely going to be one of them. (not that that makes her opinion any less valid)

    The trades love it, the more mainstream geek press loves it and it seems the audience in Venice loved it. For now I will believe she is the outlier. Reviewers are what they are its why I dont put much stock in them whether they like a film or not.

    Oh and Deadpool 1 is great...Deadpool 2 was mediocre and the farther away from seeing it I am the less I like it.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  15. #75
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,212

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    It is possible, but with the sheer amount of 5 star reviews (I think its average score is like 9.15 out of 10 or something) out there I kind of doubt it. Some people arent gonna like the film and she was definitely going to be one of them. (not that that makes her opinion any less valid)

    The trades love it, the more mainstream geek press loves it and it seems the audience in Venice loved it. For now I will believe she is the outlier. Reviewers are what they are its why I dont put much stock in them whether they like a film or not.

    Oh and Deadpool 1 is great...Deadpool 2 was mediocre and the farther away from seeing it I am the less I like it.
    I agree there is the one person that does their own thing.

    As far as Deadpool, is 2 as good as 1? No. Part of Deadpool 1 is the element of WTeff? Now that you expect it, it loses some luster. DP2 is still good, but not even close to the level of DP1.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  16. #76
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    20,191

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I agree there is the one person that does their own thing.

    As far as Deadpool, is 2 as good as 1? No. Part of Deadpool 1 is the element of WTeff? Now that you expect it, it loses some luster. DP2 is still good, but not even close to the level of DP1.
    Right, it doesn't have the novelty of 1 so it loses a little luster, but is still good. The parachuting scene was great because it wasn't expected, though.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  17. #77
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,212

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Right, it doesn't have the novelty of 1 so it loses a little luster, but is still good. The parachuting scene was great because it wasn't expected, though.
    I can agree with that. IMO, Domino was overhyped, but very good, also.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #78
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    29,689

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I think I've said this before, but I'm not a comic book guy. I saw the Nolan trilogy and liked it. I saw the first Iron Man movie after some prodding from MTU friends and liked it, but didn't follow-up with the sequels.

    Seeing the trailers for Joker, I'm pretty interested.
    Ditto

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Deadpool - meh.
    You lost me

  19. #79
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,693

    Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Right, it doesn't have the novelty of 1 so it loses a little luster, but is still good. The parachuting scene was great because it wasn't expected, though.
    That part is the only part that was enjoyable to me. Part of it is the novelty wore out but part of was also it just wasnt as funny or as clever. The whole idea of the way the film is presented is walking a tightrope between hilarious and annoying and the first one did it perfect and the second one (imho) did not.

    It is like the show Community. The first couple of seasons are brilliant but when it started to lose its mojo it happened fast and hard. Sure an episode here or there would still be great but overall pretty bad. Inside jokes and breaking the 4th wall only work so much and if they are all you have then in reality you have nothing.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,657
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Right, it doesn't have the novelty of 1 so it loses a little luster, but is still good. The parachuting scene was great because it wasn't expected, though.
    Rob Delaney was brilliant in that scene.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •