Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Never Forget!

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Today's reboot: Home Alone (Disney+)

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Today's reboot: Home Alone
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Never Forget!

This could be interesting.

Last fall, Victor Miller, who wrote the original screenplay for Friday the 13th, won a lawsuit that gave him the domestic rights to the slasher franchise under an old copyright law that grants authors rights to their original work after a period of 35 years. The case is still being appealed, but it was an important ruling within the Hollywood legal community, which was watching very closely, knowing just how much was at stake.

See, until recently, screenwriters rarely used the law to their advantage, and it was mostly employed by musicians who were eager to control their back catalog. But Eriq Gardner, the intrepid legal reporter at the Hollywood Reporter, has looked into legal records and discovered a bunch of high-profile termination notices that were filed within the past year.

According to THR, the most notable titles include The Terminator, Die Hard, Beetlejuice and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Apparently, Gale Anne Hurd, who co-wrote the original Terminator movie that was released in 1984, has moved to terminate (natch!) a copyright grant made 35 years ago. As of right now, David EllisonĎs Skydance Media controls the Terminator rights, having acquired them from his sister, Megan Ellison, who bought them at auction for $20 million back in 2011. Under this law, Skydance would lose the rights, and they would revert to Hurd and her co-writer, Terminator director James Cameron, even though Cameron has previously said that she ďdid no actual writing at all,Ē per Wikipedia. Thus, if Skydance wants to make a sequel to its upcoming Dark Fate, it would have to renegotiate with Cameron and Hurd ó otherwise, they could shop the rights to other studios, not to mention deep-pocketed streaming services.

Never Forget!

An hour in and Joker is the most disturbing film I've seen in a long, long time.

An hour in and Joker is the most disturbing film I've seen in a long, long time.
    Sounds promising! Iím going to see it tomorrow night😈

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

I heard it gets way more disturbing after that

I am seeing it in IMAX tomorrow...cant wait!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Seeing it on Sunday. Also cannot wait. Don't recall the last movie I was THIS excited to see.

The Hate U Give:

Solid movie. It will have you cursing and nodding/agreeing, and sometimes with the same points the movie brings up throughout. It REALLY swings that pendulum on the different viewpoints, and it has to, given the nature of the movie. It's really balanced on that, and that is a tough thing to do. It does not shy away from discussion, controversy, after-effects, anything. Off the top of my head, it's an updated Boyz N The Hood, with a slightly different overall take. Highly recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Never Forget!

There are so many thoughts circling through my head right now. That was deeply disturbing. Perhaps the most disturbing film I have ever watched. The terror is psychological, not the slasher kind we've gotten used to. There are a couple of moments of brutal - and I do mean brutal - violence, but the vast majority of the film is witnessing an already scarred psyche descend into madness.

I have read how this film glorifies that madness and the associated violence. I would disagree. I remember when Pulp Fiction was released there were many who claimed the film glorified drug use. I can't imagine anyone watching the scene where Uma Thurman overdoses and nearly dies and thinking, "That looks cool! I gotta get me some of that!" Likewise, we can clearly see the transformation of this already fragile mind into a homicidal maniac. The issue is not that it makes this look attractive. The issue is that society is already at this point which makes the story that much scarier.

Want to see the Joker in real life? Just turn on the evening news. His handiwork is evident in every mass shooting our nation suffers. The film doesn't glorify this violence - it holds a mirror up to American society and shows us our reality. There WILL be people who go on a murder spree and claim this movie inspired them. Or talking heads will say this was their motivation. Don't buy it for a second. Those matches were already lit. They were going to kill people regardless, but they will use this as an excuse, as a way to become famous by tying their violence to a piece of popular culture.

I'm really struggling to come up with a score for this. I thought it was brilliant. It might be the film of the year. Yet watching it was so uncomfortable I cannot with a good conscience say this is a must-see. It depends on each person. For posterity I'll give it a 9/10 but you'll have to decide if you want to subject yourself to this piece of cinema. I both want to see it again and simultaneously wish I had never seen it in the first place.

There are so many thoughts circling through my head right now. That was deeply disturbing. Perhaps the most disturbing film I have ever watched. The terror is psychological, not the slasher kind we've gotten used to. There are a couple of moments of brutal - and I do mean brutal - violence, but the vast majority of the film is witnessing an already scarred psyche descend into madness.

I have read how this film glorifies that madness and the associated violence. I would disagree. I remember when Pulp Fiction was released there were many who claimed the film glorified drug use. I can't imagine anyone watching the scene where Uma Thurman overdoses and nearly dies and thinking, "That looks cool! I gotta get me some of that!" Likewise, we can clearly see the transformation of this already fragile mind into a homicidal maniac. The issue is not that it makes this look attractive. The issue is that society is already at this point which makes the story that much scarier.

Want to see the Joker in real life? Just turn on the evening news. His handiwork is evident in every mass shooting our nation suffers. The film doesn't glorify this violence - it holds a mirror up to American society and shows us our reality. There WILL be people who go on a murder spree and claim this movie inspired them. Or talking heads will say this was their motivation. Don't buy it for a second. Those matches were already lit. They were going to kill people regardless, but they will use this as an excuse, as a way to become famous by tying their violence to a piece of popular culture.

I'm really struggling to come up with a score for this. I thought it was brilliant. It might be the film of the year. Yet watching it was so uncomfortable I cannot with a good conscience say this is a must-see. It depends on each person. For posterity I'll give it a 9/10 but you'll have to decide if you want to subject yourself to this piece of cinema. I both want to see it again and simultaneously wish I had never seen it in the first place.
    That's exactly why I'm excited to see this movie. Previous movies, he was already a nutjob. This movie SHOWS how he became that way, and as you say, it's closer to real life than previous Joker versions. Hence, the creepiness, horror, etc.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Boom! This is why I want to see it. I hope it sparks conversations about many of our problems and iím Also looking forward to Phoenixís Interpretation of Joker.

Taxi Driveresque is what some are saying. Thatís incredible company.

Canít Wait for tomorrow!

Yes, they are saying Taxi Driver, and that makes total sense. Now, to see how it's done with this particular character...hoo boy.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Your thoughts seem to be what a lot of people feel, including critics who talk about how great it is in one breathe and then in the next pan it for almost the same reasons they loved it. It seems the film is not a binary "yes or no" on the likeability matrix.

Thanks for the write up
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Your thoughts seem to be what a lot of people feel, including critics who talk about how great it is in one breathe and then in the next pan it for almost the same reasons they loved it. It seems the film is not a binary "yes or no" on the likeability matrix.

Thanks for the write up
    I think we get what he is saying. I mean, "Kids" and "Requiem For A Dream (director's cut)" are AWESOME movies that I never want to see again. Ever. EVER. Quality, but man, they are disturbing.

Other movies might include American Psycho, Schindler's List, even Saving Private Ryan. Disturbing in different forms, but....

Lucia Apologist

Dang...

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

Thanks for the write up
    Likability is going to be a major point of contention. As far as the story goes - ****ing brilliant. Todd Phillips crafted a masterpiece. The Academy can save everyone the trouble and just ship the Oscar to Joaquin Phoenix now. His performance is phenomenal. It may be heresy, but it even outshines Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance. But likable? No. This film was not likable in the least. It is going to be divisive, which I think was the whole point. Maybe, just maybe, we use this to jump start a national conversation about the mentally unstable, about income inequality, about that thin veneer that separates our polite society from our baser animal instincts. But I have little faith this will spark a serious discussion. People will shape this to fit their own agenda and it will become just so much noise to clutter up our daily lives.

Never Forget!

One of my friends in another forum asked if I would recommend skipping the movie if you're "not in the right frame of mind." YES! If you've had a bad day (or week, or month, or life) then go see something that'll make you laugh. This isn't it. I've been down a dark path and if I had seen this movie then...I don't even want to think about it.

Lucia Apologist

Likability is going to be a major point of contention. As far as the story goes - ****ing brilliant. Todd Phillips crafted a masterpiece. The Academy can save everyone the trouble and just ship the Oscar to Joaquin Phoenix now. His performance is phenomenal. It may be heresy, but it even outshines Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance. But likable? No. This film was not likable in the least. It is going to be divisive, which I think was the whole point. Maybe, just maybe, we use this to jump start a national conversation about the mentally unstable, about income inequality, about that thin veneer that separates our polite society from our baser animal instincts. But I have little faith this will spark a serious discussion. People will shape this to fit their own agenda and it will become just so much noise to clutter up our daily lives.
    Why donít you keep your Hollywood mouths shut and stick to movies?

(I deeply hope youíre right)

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Why don’t you keep your Hollywood mouths shut and stick to movies?
    Precisely.

ETA: Don't get me wrong. This can easily be reframed by the Left as well as the Right. It shouldn't be. It could be much more than that. But...

Lucia Apologist

I read a few RT-ized review summaries and itís hard to make out what to think. I trust your reviews pretty much unequivocally. So Iím going to see this (and I appreciate your warnings).

But the RT summaries have all the ďsmartĒ critics (Slate, Atlantic, NYT, NPR, WaPo, New Yorker, AP, etc.) all saying the same thing: this movie is nothing; itís garbage; itís ďfaux social commentaryĒ. Which both makes me wonder whether so many top reviewers could be wrong or if they just somehow donít get it. Usually they donít all struggle to not get it, not all of them at once.

Again, I actually believe comic book character movies are allowed to make social commentary, so that probably takes out at least Slate and the New Yorker. The NYT canít get anything right these days, so nix them. AP probably has an issue with violence in general, and itís essentially mcmedia for the masses, so they get a pass. That leaves WaPo, NPR, and the Atlantic. Why would all of them hate the movie so much? Atlantic and NPR at least think about the stores they publish and donít really have oxen to gore.

How on earth could all the smarties hate this movie so much?

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I read a few RT-ized review summaries and itís hard to make out what to think. I trust your reviews pretty much unequivocally. So Iím going to see this (and I appreciate your warnings).

But the RT summaries have all the ďsmartĒ critics (Slate, Atlantic, NYT, NPR, WaPo, New Yorker, AP, etc.) all saying the same thing: this movie is nothing; itís garbage; itís ďfaux social commentaryĒ. Which both makes me wonder whether so many top reviewers could be wrong or if they just somehow donít get it. Usually they donít all struggle to not get it, not all of them at once.

Again, I actually believe comic book character movies are allowed to make social commentary, so that probably takes out at least Slate and the New Yorker. The NYT canít get anything right these days, so nix them. AP probably has an issue with violence in general, and itís essentially mcmedia for the masses, so they get a pass. That leaves WaPo, NPR, and the Atlantic. Why would all of them hate the movie so much? Atlantic and NPR at least think about the stores they publish and donít really have oxen to gore.

How on earth could all the smarties hate this movie so much?
    This is a very easy film to not like. I don't like it. I see it as a diamond fitted into the world's ugliest, most gauche, ring. It's much easier to dismiss this as a bad movie than to face the reality that this was not only a quality film, but a spot on look at society today.

Thread Information