This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Dunkirk wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was. Just because Nolan makes a movie doesn't automatically mean it's a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Dunkirk wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was. Just because Nolan makes a movie doesn't automatically mean it's a classic.
      Agreed. I couldn't get into that movie at all.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Oh man, arrival wasn’t on there.
        Seriously, what a great movie. Gets better the more you think about it.

Neither was Dunkirk.
        Great movie if they didn't do the whole out-of-order thing for no reason (other than Nolan gets a hard-on from that)

La La Land probably should have made the top 100.
        LA jerk-off fest.

Manchester by the Sea didn’t make it (so good even Kepler loved this Boston love-fest).
        Very good if not comically depressing.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The purpose of lists like this is not to rank the best movies. It's to generate clicks by inciting anger and controversy. The best way to do that with kids movies and SF is leave them off so the fanboys will blow a gasket.

I'm surprised they didn't throw something like Human Centipede on as "a dark reflection of our times." People would go Twitter Psycho for that.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            You guys completely misunderstand Manchester by the Sea. It is a comedy.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Seriously, what a great movie. Gets better the more you think about it.

Great movie if they didn't do the whole out-of-order thing for no reason (other than Nolan gets a hard-on from that)

LA jerk-off fest.

Arrival is fantastic. La la land is still garbage

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Arrival is fantastic. La la land is still garbage
                Both movies are excellent for different reasons. People who hate one or the other are in some way deficient.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The purpose of lists like this is not to rank the best movies. It's to generate clicks by inciting anger and controversy. The best way to do that with kids movies and SF is leave them off so the fanboys will blow a gasket.

I'm surprised they didn't throw something like Human Centipede on as "a dark reflection of our times." People would go Twitter Psycho for that.
                  That is why I dont click on stuff like that. Someone else will and tell me what it says and then I can decide

Gotta admit...the fallout from that type of trolling would be amazing though
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Gotta admit...the fallout from that type of trolling would be amazing though
                    It happens with all-time movie lists when some site desperate for attention throws "Triumph of the Will" or "Birth of a Nation" on it for a hoot.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      It happens with all-time movie lists when some site desperate for attention throws "Triumph of the Will" or "Birth of a Nation" on it for a hoot.
                      In the propaganda film category, "Triumph" is the clear winner.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Triumph of the Will has cinematography that has had a lasting influence. All that aerial stuff that Riefenstahl did lives on today in the form of the drone filming that the big/flashy YouTube accounts do.

She was a hanger-on c*nt who sadly lived far longer than she should have, but a smart one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Both movies are excellent for different reasons. People who hate one or the other are in some way deficient.
                          What specifically makes La La Land excellent? Even as a musical it's at best third-rate. And if it were about Spokane and not LA, it would have gotten no attention. Actually, that's not true, there would be a lot of really good meth-themed musical numbers in a Spokane musical. We need a Spokane musical is, I think, the point I was trying to make here. I don't remember.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

What specifically makes La La Land excellent? Even as a musical it's at best third-rate. And if it were about Spokane and not LA, it would have gotten no attention. Actually, that's not true, there would be a lot of really good meth-themed musical numbers in a Spokane musical. We need a Spokane musical is, I think, the point I was trying to make here. I don't remember.
                            Straight Outta Spokompton.

Comment

Guessing not too many musicals nowadays?

Honestly, South Park has been the best musical since The Blues Brothers...as far as I can remember.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                Guessing not too many musicals nowadays?

Honestly, South Park has been the best musical since The Blues Brothers...as far as I can remember.
                                Some agree: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...rticle1215684/

He will make a slight exception for movie musicals, though, and confirms that he loved South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, with songs such as Blame Canada and Kyle's Mom Is a *****. (The lyrics for those songs were written by Shaiman along with South Park's Trey Parker and Matt Stone). "Oh, yes, I think South Park Uncut is just terrific, and the numbers in it are wonderful," Sondheim says.

KDR

Comment

Working...
                                X